Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:18 pm 

I have a Marantz 150 tuner that needs some TLC. I posted quite a while back on the same tuner but have not had a chance to do get the tuner looked at but would like to now.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for companies/individuals who are well versed in vintage Marantz tuners in the GTA or relatively close that can clean and align and perform any necessary repairs to my tuner including getting the CRT up and running again (or replacing it if necessary).

Thanks.

Adam.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 pm 

If you find someone Adam, would you mind posting the info here? I have one of these that needs servicing too. :roll:

Glenn

...what really matters is a good night's sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 pm 

ripblade wrote:
If you find someone Adam, would you mind posting the info here? I have one of these that needs servicing too. :roll:

Glenn

Will do.

I hope I find someone and I hope the scope isn't fried. If it is I might just not bother. Or perhaps I might just sell it to someone who likes repair/mod their own tuners and buy another tuner instead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 pm 

The scope is the 2nd best thing about the 150 - after the sound. I was in touch with Chris (anatech) recently but he's unavailable until next spring at the earliest. Maybe he can give us a 2 fer 1 deal if or when he becomes available to do the work. :mrgreen:

Seriously, he was intimating the scopes are still available. Luckily I don't need one, since it's the only part on mine that still works... :wink:

Cheers.

...what really matters is a good night's sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 pm 

ripblade wrote:

Seriously, he was intimating the scopes are still available. Luckily I don't need one, since it's the only part on mine that still works... :wink:

Cheers.

They supposedly come up on Ebay once in a while but I have not spotted one. The one in the 150 seems to be the hardest one to find from what I can tell. It's a Toshiba 85DB1/7J3 apparently.

My crt may be fine, sometimes the driver circuitry running them goes apparently. I do know the scope was fixed sometime back in the 80's (it's been in my family since new) about the same time that we had the Heil Air Motion Transformers repaired in our ESS AMT 3's (kind of wish I had kept those speakers, the drivers needed new surrounds and I ended up selling the drivers and the Heil's without the cabinets). I just know that I have no trace at all on the scope and I have played with the adjustment on the back of the tuner as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 pm 

I believe that Chris is right.... I've seen a number of the "tubes" advertised here and there. Hope that it isn't my Citaition II and IV, along with the MR74 that's holding up the line. I haven't even told Chris about the 150 that I've got waiting. Guess I'll just wait a little longer for that.... :lol: If I come across a Nixi (sp?) tube do you want me to grab it for you, Satori?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm 

davinci_redux wrote:
If I come across a Nixi (sp?) tube do you want me to grab it for you, Satori?

Do you mean a "nixie" tube for numerical display instead of the scope tube that the 150 usually has?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:13 pm 

Hello Satori:

Nope, ... poor semantics and paying too much attention to folk who read and regurgitate (guess I'm guilty too). I meant the scope tube. If I can find the links, I'll PM them to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm 

davinci_redux wrote:
Hello Satori:

Nope, ... poor semantics and paying too much attention to folk who read and regurgitate (guess I'm guilty too). I meant the scope tube. If I can find the links, I'll PM them to you.

Sure, if you can locate a link to NOS replacement tubes I'd be interested. I have this link which has the crt on it with the model number but there seems to be no way to contact the person:

http://www.aade.com/tubepedia/1collection/tubepedia2.htm

I shudder to think what these things might cost.