Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 am 

I would like to make a audio cd compiling some videos from Youtube. I realize the end product is only as good as it was uploaded but still what to end up with the highest possible audio I can achieve.

Not being very computer savy just wondering what would be the easiest way to do it.

In googling I found this one program (Would have to pay for it) that makes it seem easy

http://www.dicsoft.com/how-to-convert-y ... -flac.html

Any thoughts on it or any better ways to go about being able to end up with the highest sound quality available.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:32 am 

You would pretty much need some specialized software in order to do that. I am not aware of any free software that is available. A search on google brought several hits, some of which were offering trials before you buy.

I doubt very much that the end result would be worth your time, effort or trouble.
Might as well just buy the CDs of music that you like. I don't mean to discourage you, but if you are successful in doing this, let us know how things turn out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 am 

check out ffmpeg.
I use it for flash -> mp3 all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could do flac, as its full of surprises. Just read through the documentation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:32 pm 

To make an audio cd you need wav, not flac. In that case you can use Audacity and record the stream in real time from your soundcard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm 

The only issue you should consider is that youtube videos are at best mp3 quality and lossy, so you can make them flacs or wav files but that will not improve their quality, just their file size. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:34 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations to look into.
Ripblade why do you say wav not Flac.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:14 pm 

Audio CD players (redbook PCM 16/44.1) can't read flac files, only wavs. If you're using a cdp that can read flac files, then you're better off taking dethredic's suggestion to use ffmpeg to convert the files directly to mp3. I don't know how that would work though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 am 

Could I not do as suggested here?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5074700_convert ... io-cd.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:03 am 

Yes. Whether you convert flac to wav or wav to flac is inconsequential. You need wav files to burn the audio cd, but I guess you want the flac files to store on your hard drive?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm 

The end goal is just to put the highest quality on to a compilation so I guess I should just try the various suggestions and see what happens.
Will update in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:33 pm 

Free Studio has worked very well for me . It does many conversions .Including FLAC .
Here is the link.
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

Enjoy Peter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:00 pm 

http://www.onlineyoutube.com/
http://www.onlineyoutube.com/Convert-to-FLAC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:15 am 

FK wrote:
I would like to make a audio cd compiling some videos from Youtube. I realize the end product is only as good as it was uploaded but still what to end up with the highest possible audio I can achieve.

Not being very computer savy just wondering what would be the easiest way to do it.

1. YouTube audio is lossily compressed with a high degree of compression (ie, low quality). Le jeu ne vaut pas la chandelle.

2. You should specify relevant data (eg, your OS, its version, etc). If you use PCs and I recommend specific Mac apps, we're wasting both your time and mine.

3. When using lossy compression, every decompression-compression cycle degrades the original signal. Therefore, if you capture YouTube audio (decompress) and save it as MP3 (compress), you degrade it. Is this degradation perceptible? I don't know. It depends on the MP3 encoder, on the bit rate, and, last but not least, on your ears. My guess is that if you use LAME high-VBR (or 256k and above) you won't notice any difference, but I'm not you. If you want to be sure, use either lossless compression (eg, FLAC, ALE, etc) or no compression (WAV, AIFF).

4. The exact file format you should choose depends on the formats supported by your CD writing software. Any decent package will support WAV (certainly), AIFF (almost certainly), as well as MP3 (probably), FLAC (probably), and any number of other formats. Contrary to popular belief, audio CDs (CDDA or Red Book discs) do not contain WAV files or any other kind of files. If you use a supported compressed format (eg, FLAC), your software will transparently decompress it prior to burning. Therefore, the best chance of a successful burn is with uncompressed files (WAV or AIFF). However, that matters only if you're using an old or very slow machine.

5. The easiest way to capture YouTube audio is to hi-jack the audio output with an application such as the alredy-mentioned Audacity. It's real-time recording, so the disadvantages are, (a) recording takes as long as the YouTube clip, and, (b) you may add audible system alerts to the recording if you keep working while recording.

6. There are various applications or browser extensions which allow the user to save YouTube clips to the local drive. I'm not sure how legal this is, so I'm not going to mention any names, but you can find them easily. The disadvantages are, (a) they may not save in the format you wish, and, (b) they don't always work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:23 am 

Download the video, demux the audio track from the video, you're golden. Throw those files in whatever you use to burn CDs and you're getting audio identical to what was uploaded to youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:06 am 

FK wrote:
The end goal is just to put the highest quality on to a compilation so I guess I should just try the various suggestions and see what happens.
Will update in a couple of days.

As mentioned previously, the highest quality will be at best MP3 if the audio file is taken from YouTube. I have a file converter which I used for a few tracks and they sound like what you would expect - crap.