Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:40 am 

I've been into hifi for over 30 years. I bought my first real system 25 years ago and was totally satisfied with it (still have it too).

Over the past two years I have rebuilt my entire system from the ground up and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Every night is a good night and many are great. I keep adding new bits and pieces to build on these strong fundamentals. My current system is bizarre. No one else likely has this combo and many of the pieces have never been properly reviewed in any of the main hifi mags that I know of. But I am really happy with it.

In between these two systems, I bought a lot of equipment that was well reviewed but somehow never worked in my system to help me enjoy more music. Many times I could only listen to a portion of my collection because the system could not play them properly. I now buy music freely with no worries that it will not sound good.

Key difference now is the internet and especially sites like CAM, Audiogon Vinyl Engine etc. Lot of real world experience and highlighting of issues that no magazine would ever raise (except ones like the now defunct Listener or Hifi World).

Just some thoughts as I enjoy a wonderful classical LP that my previous bad system could not play for any number of reasons.

So how about you? -Are you happy? Did a previous system do it for you more. What`s next?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 am 

How could I not be happy, I'm sitting and listening to music!! :wink:

Ok that was rather flippant but I think that when we find ourselves obsessing over how everything is or isn't working together we need to remimd ourselves that we are enjoying the luxury of one of "the arts". I realize that this whole audio game is an important hobby to us and that it impacts many aspects of our lives (financial, time etc.), and I don't want to belittle anyone who is striving for improvement in their listening experience but we get to use our systems to enjoy music!! Just how cool is that?!?!?.

As I've entered this hobby and worked my way slowly upward gearwise I've never been truly bummed by how my system has handled the tunes. Has there been room for improvement? Definitely! But it has always been a pleasant way to occupy my time and sure as hell beats some of the other ways that life might force me to spend my waking hours, if I wasn't so fortunate.

Sorry to get kinda hippy-dippy on ya banerjba but I guess I'm just feeling the love a little today (and no, it's not chemically induced...yet! :lol: ).

Cheers

Last edited by CornerCutter on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:17 am 

I had a previous system that really did it for me, and I wish I had never sold. I had a Bryston BP-20 with Bryston PowerPac monoblocs. That was a killer system.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:27 am 

My system sounds great right now! Only one problem, I bought an older TT and installed a Rege RB-251 arm and Denon DL-160 cartridge. Now I listen to mostly vinyl. So whats next, get a better table or upgrade the digital. So many options so little cash!! D.R.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:34 am 

Im very happy, but could be happier. 'least thats what the ads online and in print tell me.

Kab modified 1210m5g with Audiomods arm, Logitech Transporter, Bryston BP25P, Adam active monitors, VPI 16.5 and Electrahome 1930's tabletop AM radio, and most importantly the willing suspention of disbelief.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:52 am 

This past year has been a bit of a struggle. I started with a Denon minisystem and entry level Tannoy F2 speakers, a system that sounded really great for what it was. Y'know, it wasn't the best at anything probably,but it had what we all call synergy. When I tried out some higher end gear I loved it and had to make some changes.

Well, maybe I should have just bought those exact components that I first tried. Instead I went in other ways. I don't totally regret it, as it's helped me learn what I like, and I bought many of those components used or on clearance, as a bit of a hedge in case I didn't like them.

Things are better lately...with my Exposure electronics and Quad 12L2 speakers. That system began to sound really good as break in was achieved, however I just moved to the Audiolab 8000S, which just gives me a little more of what I like than Exposure did (a more full bodied sound, greater depth). Lately I've been comparing a lot of speakers to my Quads. I've got some things I can trade in (the Exposure stuff, perhaps a sub) and so a speaker upgrade now is likely in the cards. Right now it's down to the PMC TB2i, Dynaudio Excite X16, or the ProAc Studio 110. I have ruled out the Monitor Audio RX2 as it's just too much speaker for my room. I've listened to the first two on that list and enjoyed them both. I'm looking for primarily bigger scale and a greater resolution of detail, which the PMC definitely brings. The Dyns definitely bring scale, not sure if they resolve better than the 12L2 though. Looking forward to hearing the ProAcs and meeting Steve at Hi Fi Fo Fum!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:13 am 

I have had several systems ,tube based,solid state, hybrid, class D, stats, cones, single driver , multi driver, turntables, cd players,wires, power conditioners, power cords, IC, wires,did I mention that?
And lot's of little tweaky things that work wirh some gear and not with others.

Was I ever happy with any of them?
Of course I was, and proud of the sound and level of gear that I had put together.

But, just like some car enthusiasts, after you finish a 32 you start looking for a 57 to work on.
Do you catch my drift?

I think it's the brutal realization that all systems are flawed, if you think yours is perfect, you're just fooling yourself or have stopped caring about the sound.
Congratulations.

Change is good, or so they say, but they left out "and costly".
It's not so much about improving the sound, most of my setups from the 80's would still be quite good today,it's about change.

A change from stats to cones, and back to stats,tubes to solid state etc.

Then all the combinations you can have today.

I think with so much great gear, it's harder now to stay with any system for very long, things keep getting better.
Look at how successful the Maggie 1.7 is.
Who wants the old ones when the new one is supposed to be so good?

Even has me considering a pair.

So in my case it's not about being unhappy with a system,it's just that I've outgrown it, or that another approach to the sound is worth exploring-ie SET and single driver system, or horns.Curiosity killed the kitty(as in bank account kitty).

To me audio is one big all you can eat buffet, and I definetely don't want to settle for just the mac and cheese thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:56 am 

Very happy at the moment and my current system is quite minimal in comparison to setups I have owned in the past :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am 

I've never been completely satisfied with any system I've put together. After spending many $$ I gave up and said to hell with it. Now I only listen with an iPod mini feeding a Cambridge Azur 640A and some cheap Polk speakers. The dissatisfaction remains but at least I have more money in my RRSP account which is satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:21 pm 

^ I hear ya. This next change is going to be my last for a good long while.

Pretty sure it will be

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:26 pm 

Buying Mac gear and doubling in size and scope every month, it seems.
I like it so much, I will double it for the new listening room.

Going for visual impact, pride of ownership/ego boost type of thing, because it is the best kit that I have ever owned.
I don't have a bike or a hotrod, so the hifi is my pricey hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:58 pm 

Hey OP, how about listing your current system? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what each of us are running ATM. I think that would be appropriate given the thread title.

I'll start off:
Musical Fidelity A308 CDP
Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated
Muscial Fidelity X-Dac v8
Monitor Audio GS20 speakers
Squeezebox 3
Technics 1200MkII w/ Ortofon 2M red cartridge
Canare SPDIF cables
Speltz Anti-Cables and Anti-Interconnects

It took a good part of the last four years to get to this point, but I'm very happy with the system. All components were bought used except for the cartridge, speakers and SB3, so I was able to save a ton of money when you consider MSRP.

It's definitely not a mega-buck system, and I've heard other setups that are a cut above. For the amount I've put into the system, I don't have any major complaints.

The only thing I want to do is get rid of the hum coming from my turntable setup. I'm trying to demo a power conditioner to see if it can clean up the power coming from my outlets (apartment building). Other than that the main system will stay as-is for the foreseeable future.

I may try to build a second setup just for fun, and to try different gear - as money will allow of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:32 pm 

I am quite happy with my system and enjoy it very much. I would have to say the recent addition of ASC 16" x 78" tall tube traps in all 4 corners really made a huge improvement. I was quite shocked at the differences before and after adding the traps.I already had the 1st and 2nd reflection points taken care of.Perhaps the traps were the best purchase ever compared tp purchasing new gear.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 pm 

Years ago I had a Linn CD player and Harmon Kardon Citation pre/power driving a pair of B&W speakers.
That was an enjoyable sytem.

Then I decided to "UpGrade"

Its taken me years of trying cables, vintage tubes, DAC's, Amps and Beer made under the Barvarian Purity Act
to get back to an enjoyable system
Went through 9 preamps and about 2 miles of various cables

- Linn Karik iii transport
- Monarchy Classic DIP
- Xindak DAC-5
- Musical Fidelity A308cr pre
- Musical Fidelity A3.2cr power
- B&W 603 series 2's

- Chang Light Speed
- Equi=Tech isolation transformer

Listening to Jacqeuline du Pre play Haydn Cello Concerti right now.
A pretty harsh recording,
but the system has warmth, detail and total enjoyment.

Last edited by Uunderhill on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm 

developing an extreme case of mufi jealous but since i am not daddy warbucks at present i will have to settle for what i got. :( :( :( :love my xdac v8 though and my golden cyclops was a great deal so i should learn with what i got and ignore the classifieds and stick to the forums