Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yamaha AX-900 - Wow!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:55 am 

I just recently purchased the above integrated, and was somewhat shocked at what I found under the hood when I went to clean it. This unit had the following components within:

-Alps Pots
-Nichicon 22,000uF main caps (x2)
-Nichicon Muse filter caps
-Elna caps all over
-Black Gate caps
-A HUGE transformer (I'm sure this weighs 15-20 lbs alone)

It's a wee bit dirty, but it sounds VERY good and a little Nu-trol is cleaning up a couple of pots and switches.

It's not the best I've owned or heard, but it's far and above the best for the price I've owned. I've never seen these components in a Yamaha before, however this one is from the 80's and was made in Japan. The replacement price for some of these parts would make this a fairly expensive unit if it were still made today!

Any other gems out there that are built like a truck with A1 components under the top cover?

Last edited by Hula Pie on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha AX-900 - Wow!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:22 am 

Hula Pie wrote:
I just recently purchased the above integrated, and was somewhat shocked at what I found under the hood when I went to clean it. This unit had the following components within:

-Alps Pots
-Nichicon 22,000uF main caps (x2)
-Nichicon Muse filter caps
-Elna caps all over
-Black Gate caps
-A HUGE transformer

It's a wee bit dirty, but it sounds VERY good and a little Nu-trol is cleaning up a couple of pots and switches.

It's not the best I've owned or heard, but it's far and above the best for the price I've owned. I've never seen these components in a Yamaha before, however this one is from the 80's and was made in Japan. The replacement price for some of these parts would make this a fairly expensive unit if it were still made today!

Any other gems out there that are built like a truck with A1 components under the top cover?

I don't know why you are so surprized Hula Pie. Not all Japanese electronics are mid-fi in terms of parts quality. Japanese (and Chinese) electronics have gotten a bad rap over the years for being cheap and cheaply built but that is probably because most of the stuff we doactually get to see is built for and sold by mass market retaillers (WalMart, FS, BB, CC, etc ...) to meet the lowest price point. Many of the Japanese electronics manufacturers do and have in fact built some top tier components in terms of design and parts quality but often people tend to lump them into the same category as the cheaper stuff with the same brand.

I remember that particular model and it was not a cheap piece when it was introduced and now I know why! Very nice find.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am 

Congrat’s on finding your new integrated Hula. I used to own a Yamaha AX900 and it was a great integrated. At the time I bought the AX900 and the Yamaha 5 CD carousel player....big money in those days and I had to wait a few months for the Yamaha CDP to arrive. Listening on “CD direct” was a match made in heaven in those days. I think I still have the CD Player...if you are interested it is yours for $ 40 plus the shipping....I had it fired up not long ago and it still plays well. I always like the Yamaha display as well. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 am 

As you move up the product lines from Yamaha the parts keep getting better and so does the performance. When you get close to the top its all BlackGate FK top-technology and Blackgate PK throughout. The Nichicon lines in the other products are very good too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm 

the yamaha cd1000 that i have advertised as high end parts is TYPICAL of yammies top end stuff..................ALL GOOD STUFF INSIDE..............................GUARANTEED
yamaha has always been this way and some of their power amps topology can get pretty exotic,they are never afraid to experiment and their NS1000 speaker monitors are still revered for their design and sound...............they were years ahead of their time.they are no slouches when it comes to the good stuff... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm 

Perhaps the boys at Yamaha know a thing or two about sound quality, what with all the musical instruments they design & manufacture. That's the one thing I've found consistent with all their kit that I use: the gear has a transparency that reproduces music beautifully. Welcome to the 'Natural Sound' club!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm 

HP

I own same model for my secondary system , real good for $100 I paid , mint box / manual .
Just had to clean relay contacks once.

A bit bass hump , but suits the music & speakers I use there.

Think one of the many over looked amps.

Not bad Phono section to boot.....

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:30 pm 

Post deleted by Mod- Please save the blatant advertising for the Classified section where it belongs...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:53 pm 

If you are willing check out the TNT Audio review of the AX-596 Integrated Amplifier. I have one of these as a back up and was surprised at how good it sounded. The parts quality is very nice, it is built well and is IMO a very underated amplifier.

The biggest differences that I can discern between this and my Krell KAV 300iL are in the preamp section. That is the one area where the Yammy is a little weak. When I used the Krell as a preamp any differences were much harder to discern. The Yamaha is also way underated in power output. I liked it better than the highly accoladed NAD C320BEE, which is now gone, as my back up. This amp would be a good deal for $400.00 but for $90.00 on ebay it was a larceny! :mrgreen:

I would like to note, because people wonder about associated equipment, that this was used with Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE speakers. Resolution was not a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:36 am 

ren9328 wrote:
If you are willing check out the TNT Audio review of the AX-596 Integrated Amplifier. I have one of these as a back up and was surprised at how good it sounded. The parts quality is very nice, it is built well and is IMO a very underated amplifier.

The biggest differences that I can discern between this and my Krell KAV 300iL are in the preamp section. That is the one area where the Yammy is a little weak. When I used the Krell as a preamp any differences were much harder to discern. The Yamaha is also way underated in power output. I liked it better than the highly accoladed NAD C320BEE, which is now gone, as my back up. This amp would be a good deal for $400.00 but for $90.00 on ebay it was a larceny! :mrgreen:

I would like to note, because people wonder about associated equipment, that this was used with Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE speakers. Resolution was not a problem.

I did read that review, and you're right! They spoke of higher than avg quality parts and great power handling, however drew attention to a weaker preamp stage. I think the problem may have been that everything else was so good, the pre-amp was the weak link, though I have also heard it does sound very good, just not as good as the power side of the unit. I also have a friend who owns one (ax-592) and I think it sounds really good for a $450 new unit when purchased. And, you can snag these things for $100-150 used in great shape now and it's hard to beat the musicality they offer at that price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:39 am 

Old Rusty wrote:
Perhaps the boys at Yamaha know a thing or two about sound quality, what with all the musical instruments they design & manufacture. That's the one thing I've found consistent with all their kit that I use: the gear has a transparency that reproduces music beautifully. Welcome to the 'Natural Sound' club!

It's funny that you say welcome to the "natural sound" club because I always thought it was a sales gimmick, but after having had a few nights to play with this amp, there is definitely something slightly different to this sound. There's an air to it I haven't heard in many other pieces, but I can'd confirm if its the natural sound I'm hearing or not.

On another note, I had two very dirty scratchy pots, and a nice short shot of MC Chemicals Nu-Trol Lube has fixed them up. No scratchies, but it was a **** and a half to get access to the pots!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 am 

mod thinks i was advertising my gear...............as i said i would not let my gear go that cheap........its someone elses and i pointed out the fact how you people really dont know your gear.......you just know the names.............ESPECIALLY the EXPENSIVE gear....and when you find out how good those asian boat anchors are.............you are all surprised !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i am not talking about those WHO DO KNOW GEAR................................those posts are EVIDENT.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:45 am 

I am not complete Yamaha newbie. I bought a used Rx-V3000 off from ebay to initially power my first pair of Dynaudios. My plan was to do a surround system but the two speakers were so good that I changed my mind. The Rx-V3000 was a beast! That thing weighed 50lbs, and was beautifully crafted. My dad never wants to change anything but I finally got him to let me put the Yamaha into his surround system. It blew his Sony away so profoundly that it never left!

The problem with Yamaha's reputation is not engineering know-how. It is some of the garbage that they do put their name on. I am too young to know what Yamaha equipment was about in the 70's and 80's but from what I understand is that they were an upscale alternative to other Japanese brands of day. It seems that today, though, that their image has been tarnished by sales of cheap HTIBs. I know that they still make some very fine products but they are not taken seriously by many the people that can afford them.

PrimoStuff, what's up? You have made many great posts on this site. Don't get too mad, we are just trying to have a good time.

Also a note for everyone else: I don't badmouth any products. Though I may not like something that doesn't mean that you won't. My AX-596 is a great unit but if you like its sound and can afford the upgrade try the Krell KAV400xi/300iL it really is a marked improvement. The only caveat here is that you need to have speakers with the resolution to highlight the differences.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:18 am 

I once had a Yammi A1 integrated.

Sold it and got an old Dynaco st 70 and Pas pre amp and there was quite an improvement.

The Dyna's had stock cheap US parts from the 60's, were not modded, and yet they made the old Rogers LS3/5A's really make music for the first time.

I can't say if that Yammi had state of the art parts, but it didn't sound as good as the Dynas.
And it was Yamaha's top integrated I believe.

Lot's of good sounding gear out there that doesn't have high end guts.

Great design + off the shelf parts can trump poor design + esoteric parts.