Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:50 am 

[Edit: Topic split from viewtopic.php?t=13778 since it was moving way off OP's topic - Mod]

Sorry in advance for possible thread derailment - is there any difference between ordering from Amazon.ca versus Amazon.com? There are some products on the .com ste that are not on the .ca site.
I've ordered a few times from the .ca site with no issues, and a few pleasant surprises. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 am 

I've ordered from Amazonlcom before but at checkout time got redirected to the Canadian site. Amazon.com also sells a few products not available or authorized for sale in Canada (which I found out the hard way).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:50 pm 

You can oder all media from amazon.com. Exceptions are a very few brands of videogames. I have found amazon.ca is cheaper for CDs and vinyl than any local store, and *usually* even cheaper than amazon.com once every cost has been considered (same for books, BDs are a big exception though). But yes, amazon.com has way more media than the Canadian site. Also don't forget amazon.co.uk, much British music media is a fraction of the price of over here.

There is some screwiness going on with amazon.ca very lately. Very late and untimely shipping, not to mention slower than it was just a short time ago. You order products that are said to be in stock when you order, but a couple days later they say it will take months to get. Yet the identical product number is in plenty stock at amazon.com...why can't they get it from there? This never used to happen. I have also had recent problems with shipments from amazon.com. Never had a problem before and been ordering there since the 90s...they changed shipping carrier about a year ago. That said, when amazon.com's shipper gets it right (and to be fair they always have until very lately), they are very fast, much faster than amazon.ca has been lately even though they are shipping locally.

Oh yeah, amazon.ca does pack vinyl decently enough. Only downside for me is I have to go to the PO to pick it up as they don't deliver to homes here and of course they designed the mailboxes too small for important mail. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:35 pm 

cfraser wrote:
You can oder all media from amazon.com. Exceptions are a very few brands of videogames. I have found amazon.ca is cheaper for CDs and vinyl than any local store, and *usually* even cheaper than amazon.com once every cost has been considered (same for books, BDs are a big exception though). But yes, amazon.com has way more media than the Canadian site. Also don't forget amazon.co.uk, much British music media is a fraction of the price of over here.

There is some screwiness going on with amazon.ca very lately. Very late and untimely shipping, not to mention slower than it was just a short time ago. You order products that are said to be in stock when you order, but a couple days later they say it will take months to get. Yet the identical product number is in plenty stock at amazon.com...why can't they get it from there? This never used to happen. I have also had recent problems with shipments from amazon.com. Never had a problem before and been ordering there since the 90s...they changed shipping carrier about a year ago. That said, when amazon.com's shipper gets it right (and to be fair they always have until very lately), they are very fast, much faster than amazon.ca has been lately even though they are shipping locally.

Oh yeah, amazon.ca does pack vinyl decently enough. Only downside for me is I have to go to the PO to pick it up as they don't deliver to homes here and of course they designed the mailboxes too small for important mail. :)

I buy a lot of CD'S on the net. Cheaper than stores, no sales taxes. Never buy more than 40$ so no duty fees either. I always check both amazon.ca and.com because of price discrepencies. Sometimes on one side and some other time on the other. At same price or even higher, I used to buy on the canadian side because of quicker shipping. But recently, this advantage is gone as you said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:40 pm 

It all depends on what you order, I've ordered Blurays and cd's on .com because they were cheaper and they shipped to me from a warehouse in Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:45 pm 

As far as I can tell, with media it doesn't matter. With electronics, many things cannot be shipped to Canada.
Its important to note that many of the things you will find on amazon.com, other than media, are actually from 3rd party sellers.
These sellers all have their own policies about shipping to Canada. If you look up the name of the store selling a product that they can't ship here through amazon.com, sometimes you can contact the store directly and they will ship here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm 

The prices of specialized books are also cheaper at Amazon.com than at Amazon.ca. I haven't bought anything from Amazon.com for a while (6 months or so). I heard that they now impose "import fees deposit," which I think is a form of duties or taxes (not sure which, as I haven't really figured it out).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm 

I always go to Amazon.com, as they have a far greater selection than .ca. I also found much cheaper prices on many items, particularly world and jazz, e.g. at the time I looked, Lee Morgan's "Cornbread" was around $19 in Canada,and $8.99 at .com.

Usually I have not been charged duty on CDs from the US. I'd prefer to buy in Canada, but with the limited selection, there's no point even looking for me. Perhaps if your tastes are strictly mainstream it's okay.

I've also bought from Mosaic in the US with good results so far.

I don't know why Amazon.ca doesn't make all items in the Amazon catalog available to Canadian buyers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm 

what I find in the difference between the two is if there is a cd I want to check out,
you can't listen to samples on the Canadian site where on the American site you can.
So I check it out on the American site and if I like it,order it on the Canadian site :) ..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm 

I like both -used them many time with no problems. Interesting the last order of cd's I bought from .com came with an Ontario shipping address(?) never saw Canada customs.
.com search engine works way better,and it has a better selection of cd's and books BUT .ca free shipping wins big for me.
Buy AMG guides or Penguin guides (heavy books) and the free shipping makes up for any $$ difference esp right now!
The "private" sellers have never let me down either -actually excellent service I have used them a number of times for hard to find out of print copies of Blues or Jazz recordings. I always email first (even if they do not show that they ship to Canada) and ask if its ok to order and shipping cost. A few time the seller has adjusted (lowered) the price shown by Amazon since the shipping to Canada is reasonable in the US (way better than Canada Post)
with the current exchange rate its a great time to buy...........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 pm 

All amazon.com shipments come via Canada Post i.e. mailed within Canada for the Canada part of the journey. Been like that since the beginning of amazon. The difference in the last year is the shipper between amazon (.com) and Canada port of entry. Now it's DHL, and now you have to pay "import fees". One of the secrets of the "old" amazon.com is there was no "import fee" (CP charges $5) or taxes...you can see the benefit right there. Now you have to do some careful consideration as to which amazon is cheaper overall.

One other thing I can suggest is to check the amazon.ca sellers *within Canada* for their prices on new CDs. Often cheaper than amazon.ca even with shipping charge. I have had great success with some of those sellers in the TO area, and in fact I look for them first for supplying me (before amazon.ca I mean) they have been so good. They bill through amazon so you use regular CC and no PP BS. :) Shipping rates are fixed by amazon so no eBay ripoffs there. I usually get stuff the next day. I really wish some of the TO amazon affiliates had a store because they seem to have so much cool stuff, yet amazon doesn't allow you to check through their whole online "store" to see what else you may want the way eBay does.

More edit: just went to mailbox and got 2 amazon orders. Yeah, I am a CD/BD junkie... :)
Price comparison of one CD I just got, this is for the *identical* CD with same ASIN:
amazon.com: US$45
amazon.ca: CDN$34
amazon.co.uk: CDN$15

Last edited by cfraser on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:51 pm 

"One other thing I can suggest is to check the amazon.ca sellers *within Canada* for their prices on new CDs"
I agree I found a seller in Penticton through Amazon that I have used.
How do you get to Canadian sellers within Canada? I just tried and can't find a link to Canadian only sellers. Went to a cd but the sellers outside of Amazon were in the US.
Probably can't see for looking :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:59 pm 

^ There is no way. As somebody else mentioned, amazon.ca's search capabilities is in all ways inferior to .com's. Edit: actually what I typically do is find what I want on amazon.com, maybe listen to it there, and grab the ASIN. Then I search for the ASIN on amazon.ca or .co.uk for pricing/availability. Yeah, it's a 3-window job, the most complicated thing I do all day LOL.

You just have to make sure they are truly within Canada, they must state whether they ship from Canada or elsewhere. The shipping price should tell you anyway, it is fixed at $3/CD within Canada for affiliates. Don't let a company name fool you. I get much perverse amusement from the prices of a place called anybook-ca (which isn't in Canada). Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:18 pm 

cool..I never though to ckeck any UK sites including EBay I have always stay in NA! figured too much hassel comming across the pond
CD junkie?? Ya I hear you..loud!!
tubes too :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm 

^ For European/British stuff that isn't also manufactured over here the prices can be much cheaper from the UK (but NOT always by any means, the vagaries of marketing sometimes make the imports cheaper here). Shipping from the UK amazon is about the same as from the US amazon to Canada, except we have to pay ~6% duty from the UK (plus the taxes etc.). Also, when looking at UK prices, remember we don't have to pay the VAT (which is quite high) so make sure you take that into account in price comparisons. Usually I don't begrudge a price difference of a few bucks, but when it gets into double/triple the price...usually which amazon to buy from is obvious. If a disc junkie it adds up pretty quickly.