Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:05 pm 

How is Simaudio W-5 compared with W-6 mono amps ? Any W-6 users ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 pm 

I loved the W-5 amp but never tried the w-6.
Don't know if i would spend the extra because the w-5 is so sweet and punchy.
Again I've never tryed the 6 so I might be talking out of my A__.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:11 am 

In the http://www.soundstage.com review of the W-6, Mark Mickelson says he wasn't sure if the W-6,s sound any better than the W-5 which he reviewed as well. You can find it in the equipment archives. I have the W-5 as well and couldn't be happier. Perhaps the upgrade money would be better spent eleswhere in your system.Also, your into buying another power cord as well.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 am 

lesjames wrote:
I loved the W-5 amp but never tried the w-6.
Don't know if i would spend the extra because the w-5 is so sweet and punchy.
Again I've never tryed the 6 so I might be talking out of my A__.

I went from a W5 to a W7 and the difference is resolution/definition of the bass frequencys in the new evolution stuff. I would guess unless your speakers are really inefficient the W6 will sound very similar to a W5. Adding an aftermarket power cord was my biggest improvement on both amps. I would go on to say that if you stay with the stock cord you aren't actually hearing what your amp can do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am 

i also went from a W5 to W7
although W7 is rated slightly lower power, i could not tell the difference, however i could hear the W7 with even better control of the bass and more clarity and definition in the highs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:55 am 

I will be going that way as well, already have the P-7 Evolution pre and Supernova Evolution cdp. Solidstate9 - what powercord did you end up putting on the W-7? I had read somewhere that the ESP cords mate very well with Sim, both pre's and amps.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:20 am 

MOON wrote:
I will be going that way as well, already have the P-7 Evolution pre and Supernova Evolution cdp. Solidstate9 - what powercord did you end up putting on the W-7? I had read somewhere that the ESP cords mate very well with Sim, both pre's and amps.
Cheers

I also have the P7 and Supernova - W7 and I have been a happy camper
Re Cables: I tried a Transparent first and it was worse and the Grant fidelity pc1.5 power cable was better. I have Nickle power (Simaudio dealer Loyalty Sound) house brand as well and it is good. Now I have Moray James 3.5 version on the whole system. The cable thing is try before you buy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:11 am 

I like my W-5 but I need more power for my Mirage M3si speakers. My other thought would be a new Bryston 4bsst squared power amp. Thanks for all inputs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 am 

cwlam3 wrote:
How is Simaudio W-5 compared with W-6 mono amps ? Any W-6 users ?

You'll have to check their website but I believe the W-5 actually has bigger power supplies then both the W-8 and the W-7. I no longer own a W-5, but I thought it was a pretty good amp....I was disappointed in the next generation of Simaudio amps, particularly in the absence of bass control.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 am 

cwlam3 wrote:
I like my W-5 but I need more power for my Mirage M3si speakers. My other thought would be a new Bryston 4bsst squared power amp. Thanks for all inputs.

Can you bridge your W5 to make it into a W6 and try it on one speaker? AFAIK the W6 is a mono W5(W3?) based on Michelson's description. The W7 seems to have more guts than the W5 because it is that few % cleaner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:39 pm 

solidstate9 wrote:
cwlam3 wrote:

Can you bridge your W5 to make it into a W6 and try it on one speaker? AFAIK the W6 is a mono W5(W3?) based on Michelson's description. The W7 seems to have more guts than the W5 because it is that few % cleaner.

The W6 is basically a bridged W3. If you bridge a W5, you end up with a W10.
I own W10's, and have had them for a few years. I would never sell them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:28 pm 

When I went from a Bryston 4bst ( 250 watts ) to the Simaudio W-5 at 190 watts, the W-5 was way more powerful, even though the power rating was less. You may want to listen to the Bryston before you commit to it. Also you could buy a second W-5, Simaudio can make you a y adapter as specified on their site. You would have enormous power then.

Last edited by MOON on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm 

I had a Bryston 4B ST before I went to the W-10's. I compared a W5 to the 4B ST. The Simaudio gear does sound much more powerful. This is because the Simaudio amplifiers have more GAIN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

valvesandvinyl wrote:
I had a Bryston 4B ST before I went to the W-10's. I compared a W5 to the 4B ST. The Simaudio gear does sound much more powerful. This is because the Simaudio amplifiers have more GAIN.

The power supply in the W-5 is the reason it "sounds" more powerful, it's a much more stable amplifier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:51 pm 

valvesandvinyl wrote:

As good an amp as the 4b is,the W-5 is in another class altogether, IMHO. It is also considerably more expensive than the Bryston. I know I might get ripped for this, but the one Sim amp I've never been able to get warmed up to is the W-8. I know all the stellar reviews and all that, but I've had the occasion to hear one several times in different systems, and it has yet to impress me compared to the competition in its price range. I will admit that I'm a little puzzled as to why this would be, as I love the W-3 and W-5.