Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:47 am 

Hello all of you,

It seems that Castle loudspeakers are alive again, under the AIG banner. I was a previous owner of a castle loudspeaker, and I always kind of loved the sound and the finish of the product (It was a castle Chester floorstanding).

http://www.castle.uk.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx

Anyway, I simply would like to know if any of you are buying the new series products, especially the knight one, and comments about these new products would be cool. I follow the compagny's life and I'm intrigued by the new products.

I'm not thinking about buying a pair of these speakers, being actually with Supravox drivers, but who knows.

Excuse my poor english (but I tried, I tried), and have a good day of music.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:22 am 

From what I have heard and read, the name is the same but the sound is sadly completely different. Not surprised really. Seems to be a pattern with all of the brands that IAG has gathered up.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 am 

Thanks, I didn't know they had been resurrected. I used to own the Castle Edens for about 7 years before I sold it in 2007.(Which I later regretted doing)
I looked at their website and the Edens are not being resurrected, in their classic line up,which is unfortunate since those were one of their better sounding speakers.

Still I would like to audition/listen to what they are offering under the IAG banner.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:39 am 

Well, thanks for the info concerning the change in sound. I was always curious about the sound of a Howard S3, and now it seems that I'll have to listend to the new Howard S3 as mutch.

I'm exploring these different avenues for a long term speaker change, and I'm debatting brands and models. Castle and Verity audio are currently in my thoughts.

As always, if anyone have info concerning these new Castle models (or old ones, for that matters), please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:53 am 

I bought some new Castle Tay monitors on Audiogon a few years back. Needed a front ported bookshelf and these fit the bill. I did not audition, but liked the general reviews Castles speakers have been given. I like the laid back presentation; not to say these can't pounce, but they are not in your face. I would consider Castle again for a second pair...I'd go used though, lots of deals out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 pm 

Havn't heard the new Castle speakers, but the Castle Howard has been my long term speaker. I hope the new Co. lives up to the standards set by the "old" Castle but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm 

@ Mahatma1,

You're a current owner of Howard speaker?

Could you please tell me about what kind of amplification is best used with them, and are the size of the room matters?

I'm not changing my speakers, only gathering information, but you're not the first to point out how great these speakers are or were.

For the record, I'm currently running an Audiomat Arpège in a 12 X 14 room. What do you think of that?

Information is power...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:50 pm 

I still have my Castle Chester speakers. It still works...bought it in 1993. My regret...I shoulda bought the Original Castle Winchester.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:53 pm 

I have the Castle Chester also..as a second system paired with a YBA2 HCDT..

I heard that a good match with Castle would be Naim gear.

I am very familiar with Audiomat Arpege and have tried it with the Chester. The CHester handicapped the Audiomat. It worked better with an Equation 7 speaker

mahatma1 wrote:
Havn't heard the new Castle speakers, but the Castle Howard has been my long term speaker. I hope the new Co. lives up to the standards set by the "old" Castle but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:08 am 

Glad to hear that Castle has been resurrected. They were one of the good guys during much of audio's heyday and I was disappointed to see them go down hill as they did.

I ran Chesters for a couple years and they were very musical, enjoyable and addictive speakers. My favourite pairing was with my Radford STA 25. On the SS side, they also sounded very good with Sugden, in my case an AU51 power/pre pairing.

Like Rennie, I too wish I had grabbed a pair of Winchesters.

BTW, I also heard that the Aragon (Mondial) name has surfaced again.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 am 

I had a pair of Winchesters for about a year. Sounded great from the midrange up, but I couldn't seem to coax much bass out of them. I tried them in a few different rooms with a wide variety of equipment to no avail. They sounded best with a Jadis Orchestra or Sugden A28II integrateds.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm 

Is it fair to say that Castle has been resurrected? IMHO not if the original UK factory is closed and the design and production have been moved to China. That would make Castle no more than a name on the box.

The new site (link above) has a reviews page and there is nothing more recent than 2004. Are there any recent reviews around?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:42 pm 

Since 1973 Castle has been a loudspeaker manufacturer in the truest possible sense with both design and manufacture of their world famous speakers housed entirely in one factory. Castle is rare amongst loudspeaker manufacturers in that they not only manufacture the drive units and electronic components found in their speakers but also the beautifully hand crafted real wood veneered cabinets used to enclose them.

30 years ago when Castle was formed the founding concept was to be a complete loudspeaker manufacturer and despite changing times and the globalisation of manufacturing Castle still retain this as the basis for the company.

If they transferred their production in China (or any other country for that matters), they have a malicious sense or writing that seems to avoid the subject. Interesting to gather the information about if yes or no they closed their factory in UK.

Concerning reviews, I've searched the net and no review are available about the new products.

Maybe contacting SF Marketing, their Canadian distributor, would be a wise move to gather information.

Maybe it's me growing older or focusing my views, but bad effects of capitalism seems to stockpile with time...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:40 pm 

As far as know production is still in the UK. They look interesting I'd like to hear a set.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:22 pm 

holopaul, Castle went bust 2 or 3 years a go......

The name was bought and production in now in China.... IAG owns them, along with many other www.iaguk.co.uk it may be a UK address but all the stuff is made in China.

not to much left of Brands that were UK made still being made there........