Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 am 

Anyone else annoyed by being asked that question as an initial reply to an ad? I`m being asked to lower my asking price even before getting an offer. Whats worse it seems to be gaining popularity not only here but on other sites as well.

My default reply, if I even bother to reply at all has been "whats your best offer?" but if someone can suggest something more appropriate then by all means..
End of rant :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:58 am 

Often what happens depends on your pricing strategy, ie, do you price it appropriately or with a cushion for low-ballers?

You can always state : Lowballers and those asking "What's your best price?" will be ignored....and then be guided by your rule.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:05 am 
Premium User

Having been in and out of retail for 40 years, when this is the first question asked, you have generally lost the sale already.

There is one member of CAM ( not sure of the member name ) who came up with a very clever statement in all of his ads, something to the effect of:
" please don't ask me what is my best price, I do not negotiate with myself ! "

When people ask me " what is my best price ?" I usually counter with " what is your best offer?"... If the conversation goes into the sewer from there, I just delete his e-mail and move on...

Bottom line, if you're serious, just make a committed offer that you plan on honouring if I accept.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 am 

...it seems to me based on experience that there is a general "rule of thumb" that most sellers will budge by 10%-ish having probably factored that negotiating margin in (assuming the asking price is "in the ball park" of currently and generally accepted value)...the exception to this is of course the seller who states very clearly that the price is fixed and firm...at the end of the day a successful sale & purchase is simply when and where the 2 parties reach an agreement and the deal is closed...notwithstanding perceived "current value" or any other independent claims of "real/actual value"...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am 

vinylbrother wrote:
Having been in and out of retail for 40 years, when this is the first question asked, you have generally lost the sale already.

There is one member of CAM ( not sure of the member name ) who came up with a very clever statement in all of his ads, something to the effect of:

When people ask me " what is my best price ?" I usually counter with " what is your best offer?"... If the conversation goes into the sewer from there, I just delete his e-mail and move on...

Bottom line, if you're serious, just make a committed offer that you plan on honouring if I accept.

Now That is funny !!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 am 

please explain how 'what is your best offer' is any different in the process of a transaction. It is only shifting the onus on the buyer which really doesn't expedite things.
We all list at the price we want but realize that we may accept less; our bottom price. such a response is trying to get to that number faster without the back and forth and possibly offending a seller with what may be considered a low ball offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 am 

Because it is equivalent to "What do you want to pay?"

You will rarely, if ever, see that question answered by a low balling POS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 am 

My pricing policy is the same as Walmart. Ever try negotiating with one of their cashiers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 am 

Wind Chaser wrote:
My pricing policy is the same as Walmart. Ever try negotiating with one of their cashiers?

...apples and oranges my friend...negotiating here is both accepted and anticipated...unless otherwise stated... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am 

Erik wrote:
Because it is equivalent to "What do you want to pay?"

You will rarely, if ever, see that question answered by a low balling POS.

is that somehow different then what is your best offer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am 

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 am 

PBB wrote:
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

...time tested words of wisdom right there... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am 
Premium User

I have also reverted to the following statements below which usually shuts down a ridiculous offer immediately without being offensive ....

Sample: I am selling a used integrated amplifier already very well priced for $1,000.00

Buyer: Would you accept $500.00 shipped?

My answer: " Would you " ?

That usually ends it :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:59 am 

I see no harm in asking this question! This is not to be taken as a motion of dis-respect, but strictly getting to a price that both parties will agree. Recently we have all seen some crazy pricing for vintage audio gear. By asking this question and further questions regarding the item, should expedite the sale if both parties are interested.

How many times have we seen where a buyer will list an item and include a statement like, “low ballers will be ignored. Then within 20+days you see the price drop for the same ad. Perhaps if the seller had offer a “best price” then the seller and buyer could have come to a sale!

It is always the choice of the seller to make a sale or not. Each potential buyer has a price in mind, the quicker both parties can come to this point, the better all will be.

Each of us who list an item has to understand the laws of supply and demand. A seller may want to get “x” for an item, but a buyer is only willing to pay “y”.

If your price is firm and you do not want to offer a “best price”. Just state that in a returned email.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 am 

I do not deal with people that ask that question, just do not respond.

Easy.