Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:08 am 

I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- doesn't want to use EMT as he has been burnt before with no recourse options
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

I would really appreciate some fresh ideas.

Much appreciated!
V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

Much appreciated!
That is Not a simple thing to answer,First of ALL how many positive Feedback's does this seller have?? I have used EMT many times to pay for items and I have also received EMT Payments for items I have sold in the past and have Never had ANY problems doing so, But all I can really say is that if you are NOT comfortable in using this payment method then you should just look for another item of interest that has an option for PayPal as a payment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 am 

So cod is out and any online transaction is out.

Unless you know somebody that could personally do the transaction for you I’m not sure what else is left?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 am 

joseph49 wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:

Seller's point of view:

Buyer's point of view:

Much appreciated!
That is Not a simple thing to answer,First of ALL how many positive Feedback's does this seller have?? I have used EMT many times to pay for items and I have also received EMT Payments for items I have sold in the past and have Never had ANY problems doing so, But all I can really say is that if you are NOT comfortable in using this payment method then you should just look for another item of interest that has an option for PayPal as a payment.

I was doing EMT for a few years, UNTIL I was burnt by a member with excellent feedback. That's when I decided no to do that to myself any more.

-- 06 Feb 2018 15:29 --

joseph49 wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:

Seller's point of view:

Buyer's point of view:

Much appreciated!

I was doing EMT for a few years, UNTIL I was burnt by a member with excellent feedback. That's when I decided no to do that to myself any more.

-- 06 Feb 2018 15:30 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
So cod is out and any online transaction is out.

Unless you know somebody that could personally do the transaction for you I’m not sure what else is left?

Yup ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 am 

Paypal favors buyers. EMT favors sellers.
Every transaction has the same conundrum.

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, move on..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 am 

Mr_man wrote:

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Let's talk PP Good and Services. Buyer sends the payment, seller receives the payment then ships. How is this favouring the buyer?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 am 

I see that you have one active ad listing, and that you do accept Interac payments. You were burned once, but most people here have never had a problem.
Nothing is foolproof, but if you are that uncertain about Internet deals, maybe you should stick to local cash transactions to avoid the stress.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
Mr_man wrote:

Let's talk PP Good and Services. Buyer sends the payment, seller receives the payment then ships. How is this favouring the buyer?

The buyer can file a dispute with Paypal, and have the funds reversed. EMT (generally) can't be reversed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
I see that you have one active ad listing, and that you do accept Interac payments. You were burned once, but most people here have never had a problem.
Nothing is foolproof, but if you are that uncertain about Internet deals, maybe you should stick to local cash transactions to avoid the stress.

In this case I'm a buyer. I've done many transaction so far, probably more than a hundred, so not stressed or worried about it. Just thought maybe someone figured out a better way than a leap of faith.

-- 06 Feb 2018 16:00 --

Mr_man wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:
Mr_man wrote:

The buyer can file a dispute with Paypal, and have the funds reversed. EMT (generally) can't be reversed.

Yes, but it's not that simple. You actually have to prove to PP you haven't received the goods, they don't just trust your word. So if the seller requires signature on delivery it should be safe. No?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 am 

In another discussion on similar situation another member made a good point. He has used EMT but did not give the password until he had proof of shipment. Now if you are in need of some form of reassurance then a phone call should help, a lot can be found out in a conversation, and that would be just a small investment of time and money and might buy you the peace of mind you require. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:10 am 
Premium User

VegliaAudio wrote:

Seller's point of view:

V

If the Seller creates an "invoice" in paypal - it needs to be detailed - S/N, condition, included accessories, etc. Also including shipping weight and dimensions

THEN

You pay the invoice and PAYPAL then creates the shipping label and debits the seller the shipping costs (which was calculated when seller put in package details)

This way - the Seller has the protection of WHAT was sold, of WHEN and HOW it was shipped. I'm assuming you have a PAYPAL VERIFIED shipping address which would ensure that you are in fact you.

This is how Paypal is supposed to work......but usually (myself included) just send the money without details.........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 am 

"Yes, but it's not that simple. You actually have to prove to PP you haven't received the goods, they don't just trust your word. So if the seller requires signature on delivery it should be safe. No?"

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Buyer can claim wrong item was received, item was damaged, etc. Seller can fake shipping documents and e-mails from customs, etc.

I once had to reverse funds on a transaction a full six weeks after sending payment. Seller had copies of supposedly legitimate e-mails with customs officials stating that the item was being held at the border. Paypal returned the money within 48 hours..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

In this case I'm a buyer. I've done many transaction so far, probably more than a hundred, so not stressed or worried about it. Just thought maybe someone figured out a better way than a leap of faith.

You could always send a money order using overnight delivery, but that would cost you some money.
I had a member insist on using a money order, and that was my condition. He declined and I moved on.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 am 

bill2013 wrote:
In another discussion on similar situation another member made a good point. He has used EMT but did not give the password until he had proof of shipment. Now if you are in need of some form of reassurance then a phone call should help, a lot can be found out in a conversation, and that would be just a small investment of time and money and might buy you the peace of mind you require. Just a thought.

I've used phone calls and agree they are good way to get peace of mind. But, not perfect ... I'm really looking for a properly engineered, repeatable process because too many times we read about these dilemmas. So, let's elaborate further on the delayed password proposal. How is the seller protected here if he ships but the buyer never sends the password?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 am 

VegliaAudio wrote:
bill2013 wrote:

I've used phone calls and agree they are good way to get peace of mind. But, not perfect ... I'm really looking for a properly engineered, repeatable process because too many times we read about these dilemmas. So, let's elaborate further on the delayed password proposal. How is the seller protected here if he ships but the buyer never sends the password?

Delaying the password is only viable for local purchases. It isn't feasible for shipments.