Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am
Posts: 126
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- doesn't want to use EMT as he has been burnt before with no recourse options
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

I would really appreciate some fresh ideas.

Much appreciated!
V


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 am
Posts: 91
Location: Moncton, NB, CA
VegliaAudio wrote:
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- doesn't want to use EMT as he has been burnt before with no recourse options
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

I would really appreciate some fresh ideas.

Much appreciated!
That is Not a simple thing to answer,First of ALL how many positive Feedback's does this seller have?? I have used EMT many times to pay for items and I have also received EMT Payments for items I have sold in the past and have Never had ANY problems doing so, But all I can really say is that if you are NOT comfortable in using this payment method then you should just look for another item of interest that has an option for PayPal as a payment.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 2379
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
So cod is out and any online transaction is out.

Unless you know somebody that could personally do the transaction for you I’m not sure what else is left?

_________________
You like that Redgren Grumbholdt reference? Yeah. Well, guess what? I made him up. You really are your father's children. Think for yourselves. Don't be sheep.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am
Posts: 126
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
joseph49 wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- doesn't want to use EMT as he has been burnt before with no recourse options
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

I would really appreciate some fresh ideas.

Much appreciated!
That is Not a simple thing to answer,First of ALL how many positive Feedback's does this seller have?? I have used EMT many times to pay for items and I have also received EMT Payments for items I have sold in the past and have Never had ANY problems doing so, But all I can really say is that if you are NOT comfortable in using this payment method then you should just look for another item of interest that has an option for PayPal as a payment.


I was doing EMT for a few years, UNTIL I was burnt by a member with excellent feedback. That's when I decided no to do that to myself any more.

-- 06 Feb 2018 15:29 --

joseph49 wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal
- doesn't want to use Canada Post COD because of delay in receiving the check and general uncertainty about the COD process

Buyer's point of view:
- doesn't want to use EMT as he has been burnt before with no recourse options
- comfortable with PayPal and used it many times before on both ends of transaction

I would really appreciate some fresh ideas.

Much appreciated!
That is Not a simple thing to answer,First of ALL how many positive Feedback's does this seller have?? I have used EMT many times to pay for items and I have also received EMT Payments for items I have sold in the past and have Never had ANY problems doing so, But all I can really say is that if you are NOT comfortable in using this payment method then you should just look for another item of interest that has an option for PayPal as a payment.


I was doing EMT for a few years, UNTIL I was burnt by a member with excellent feedback. That's when I decided no to do that to myself any more.

-- 06 Feb 2018 15:30 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
So cod is out and any online transaction is out.

Unless you know somebody that could personally do the transaction for you I’m not sure what else is left?


Yup ...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Paypal favors buyers. EMT favors sellers.
Every transaction has the same conundrum.

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, move on..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am
Posts: 126
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Mr_man wrote:
Paypal favors buyers. EMT favors sellers.
Every transaction has the same conundrum.

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, move on..


Let's talk PP Good and Services. Buyer sends the payment, seller receives the payment then ships. How is this favouring the buyer?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 5129
Location: London, ON, CA
I see that you have one active ad listing, and that you do accept Interac payments. You were burned once, but most people here have never had a problem.
Nothing is foolproof, but if you are that uncertain about Internet deals, maybe you should stick to local cash transactions to avoid the stress.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
VegliaAudio wrote:
Mr_man wrote:
Paypal favors buyers. EMT favors sellers.
Every transaction has the same conundrum.

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, move on..


Let's talk PP Good and Services. Buyer sends the payment, seller receives the payment then ships. How is this favouring the buyer?


The buyer can file a dispute with Paypal, and have the funds reversed. EMT (generally) can't be reversed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am
Posts: 126
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Quadzilla wrote:
I see that you have one active ad listing, and that you do accept Interac payments. You were burned once, but most people here have never had a problem.
Nothing is foolproof, but if you are that uncertain about Internet deals, maybe you should stick to local cash transactions to avoid the stress.

In this case I'm a buyer. I've done many transaction so far, probably more than a hundred, so not stressed or worried about it. Just thought maybe someone figured out a better way than a leap of faith.

-- 06 Feb 2018 16:00 --

Mr_man wrote:
VegliaAudio wrote:
Mr_man wrote:
Paypal favors buyers. EMT favors sellers.
Every transaction has the same conundrum.

With each transaction, there's a certain level of faith that it will turn out well. This is where you're relying on the others feedback, and even a phone call to help you feel them out.

Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, move on..


Let's talk PP Good and Services. Buyer sends the payment, seller receives the payment then ships. How is this favouring the buyer?


The buyer can file a dispute with Paypal, and have the funds reversed. EMT (generally) can't be reversed.


Yes, but it's not that simple. You actually have to prove to PP you haven't received the goods, they don't just trust your word. So if the seller requires signature on delivery it should be safe. No?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:33 am
Posts: 64
Location: toronto, ON, CA
In another discussion on similar situation another member made a good point. He has used EMT but did not give the password until he had proof of shipment. Now if you are in need of some form of reassurance then a phone call should help, a lot can be found out in a conversation, and that would be just a small investment of time and money and might buy you the peace of mind you require. Just a thought.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:10 am 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:57 am
Posts: 356
Location: Whitby, ON, CA
VegliaAudio wrote:
I am seeking ideas to complete a remote transaction, with shipping, that is safe for both the seller and the buyer. Here's a short description of both points of view, in my case I am a buyer and the unit is about $1,000.

Seller's point of view:
- wants EMT or bank draft payment
- doesn't want to use PayPal as he heard stories of people trying to scam sellers via PayPal

V


If the Seller creates an "invoice" in paypal - it needs to be detailed - S/N, condition, included accessories, etc. Also including shipping weight and dimensions

THEN

You pay the invoice and PAYPAL then creates the shipping label and debits the seller the shipping costs (which was calculated when seller put in package details)

This way - the Seller has the protection of WHAT was sold, of WHEN and HOW it was shipped. I'm assuming you have a PAYPAL VERIFIED shipping address which would ensure that you are in fact you.

This is how Paypal is supposed to work......but usually (myself included) just send the money without details.........


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
"Yes, but it's not that simple. You actually have to prove to PP you haven't received the goods, they don't just trust your word. So if the seller requires signature on delivery it should be safe. No?"

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Buyer can claim wrong item was received, item was damaged, etc. Seller can fake shipping documents and e-mails from customs, etc.

I once had to reverse funds on a transaction a full six weeks after sending payment. Seller had copies of supposedly legitimate e-mails with customs officials stating that the item was being held at the border. Paypal returned the money within 48 hours..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 5129
Location: London, ON, CA
VegliaAudio wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
I see that you have one active ad listing, and that you do accept Interac payments. You were burned once, but most people here have never had a problem.
Nothing is foolproof, but if you are that uncertain about Internet deals, maybe you should stick to local cash transactions to avoid the stress.

In this case I'm a buyer. I've done many transaction so far, probably more than a hundred, so not stressed or worried about it. Just thought maybe someone figured out a better way than a leap of faith.



You could always send a money order using overnight delivery, but that would cost you some money.
I had a member insist on using a money order, and that was my condition. He declined and I moved on.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am
Posts: 126
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
bill2013 wrote:
In another discussion on similar situation another member made a good point. He has used EMT but did not give the password until he had proof of shipment. Now if you are in need of some form of reassurance then a phone call should help, a lot can be found out in a conversation, and that would be just a small investment of time and money and might buy you the peace of mind you require. Just a thought.

I've used phone calls and agree they are good way to get peace of mind. But, not perfect ... I'm really looking for a properly engineered, repeatable process because too many times we read about these dilemmas. So, let's elaborate further on the delayed password proposal. How is the seller protected here if he ships but the buyer never sends the password?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 5129
Location: London, ON, CA
VegliaAudio wrote:
bill2013 wrote:
In another discussion on similar situation another member made a good point. He has used EMT but did not give the password until he had proof of shipment. Now if you are in need of some form of reassurance then a phone call should help, a lot can be found out in a conversation, and that would be just a small investment of time and money and might buy you the peace of mind you require. Just a thought.

I've used phone calls and agree they are good way to get peace of mind. But, not perfect ... I'm really looking for a properly engineered, repeatable process because too many times we read about these dilemmas. So, let's elaborate further on the delayed password proposal. How is the seller protected here if he ships but the buyer never sends the password?


Delaying the password is only viable for local purchases. It isn't feasible for shipments.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group