Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 am 

I replaced my Yamaha A-S500 in my upstairs setup a couple months back with a 316bee and it was a night and day experience! It's like i'm hearing my PSB Stratus mini's for the first time all over again. The Stratus girls are 4 ohm and not the most efficient at 85-86 dB's but this little 40wpc nad makes them sing like never before. Who says you need a 100-150wpc amplifier to get "that sound" out of your speakers?
I'm more than happy with this little beast, so much so that i've picked up another one for my downstairs setup and will be hooked to a pair of PSB Image 4T's that come in at 6 ohm 89 dB.
I should have it next week.
So....how much better can a 40wpc amplifier get, especially at this price range??
Nad hasn't just hit a homerun with these 316's....its out of the ballpark!!

Attachments:
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG [ 325.24 KiB | Viewed 2852 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 am 

I'm well acquainted with a NAD 315BEE. The amp has not begun to stand out as a problem, even as the associated gear was upgraded a notch... two notches... three... . Yes, you can do better than one of these, NAD's own line has a couple of candidates, but it is really a terrific bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am 

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of fairy dust NAD sprinkles in these budget amps of theirs but it all seems to descend from the 3020 of forty years ago (or more). Their giant killer amps of today and of yore stand as a kind of audio engineering testament to the fact that just throwing money into audio gear that use super premium parts and weighs a ton is not always the best path. I believe that budget audio designs that shock audiophiles are largely fortuitous accidents; something magical just clicks and provided the manufacturer sticks to the basics many copies can be produced. Other examples are the Roksan Kandy and the Exposure 2010S.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am 

Johnny, you've struck upon a seemingly little known bit of audio synergy. Nad and PSB are owned by the same group, and are designed to work well together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 am 

Toby wrote:
I'm well acquainted with a NAD 315BEE. The amp has not begun to stand out as a problem, even as the associated gear was upgraded a notch... two notches... three... . Yes, you can do better than one of these, NAD's own line has a couple of candidates, but it is really a terrific bargain.

I've tried it with different cd players/ different speakers/ even changed up cables from hefty to cheaper versions and every setup sounds really, really good with all having one common denominator.......a "budget" 40wpc 316bee NAD amp!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am 

I have the 326 BEE paired with PSB Stratus Silver i's ( 2000 Can in 2001 when I bought them.) A few years ago I had a Bryston 3B SST and BP20 in the same set up. I wasn't really happy with the sound and bought a 326 BEE as an interm replacement. I actually liked the NAD better ( and I've had lots of good stuff over the last 30 years.)

The Bryston, of course could play louder with better control of the bass but, to me, that was the only area it excelled in. Read the TAS review of the 326 BEE when it came out and see how highly ( NOT just for the price ) they rated it.

I've decided that if I upgrade to a better ( not just different ) integrated it has to do everything the NAD does well ( soundstaging, power into lower impedances, not analytical but still transparent enough etc. ) or what's the point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:08 pm 

I've always been drawn to the NAD "house sound". Owned a NAD L53 several years ago and it was an excellent all in one solution.
As I recall, Stephen Mejias, who used to write "The Entry Level" column for Stereophile had a 316BEE as his reference amplifier.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ent ... l-7-page-3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm 
Premium User

My first real 2 channel setup in the early 90's was an entry level NAD integrated like the C316BEE with PSB Alphas. As a poor student it was a fortune to me at the time and worth every penny. 25 years later and NAD + PSB is still a sure thing right up to Masters Series with T3's. The late 70's integrateds sound really nice when brought back to life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm 

I agree wholeheartedly that Nad makes some great sounding products. A short while ago I listed on Cam the same amp with the matching CD player a nice 427 tuner a pair of decent speakers and Nad phono preamp all in mint condition and I couldn’t give the stuff away . At least not for $600 .I removed the add out of frustration. I honestly didn’t need the money. I just wanted to downsize a bit . You’re absolutely right. You don’t need to spend a fortune to get great sound . Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm 

It really is a great amp. In my old place I used it with a pair of Focal Aria 905's and it was terrific. I have a Hegel amp now with more power but I would not say it was a night and day difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm 

operafan wrote:
It really is a great amp. In my old place I used it with a pair of Focal Aria 905's and it was terrific. I have a Hegel amp now with more power but I would not say it was a night and day difference.

I used my NAD326BEE with the Focal Chorus 706. I have a the matching NAD tuner. Very nice combo and I recently put the Focals in the other system and the KEFLS50s on the end of the NAD.

These two amps are amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 pm 

Bought the 316 then got the 326. Moved up to the 375bee last year just love them!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm 

runnin wrote:
Johnny, you've struck upon a seemingly little known bit of audio synergy. Nad and PSB are owned by the same group, and are designed to work well together.

Word. A very good combination.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm 

Sarchi wrote:
runnin wrote:

Word. A very good combination.

I love my NAD PSB combo and it was here on this site that I was enlightened.
And, they have their HQ down the street from me almost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
Premium User

It's been common knowledge for decades (at least in Ontario) audio PB&J!