Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:43 pm 

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post but here we go:

So at the moment I am using a chrome cast audio to stream spotify to my rotel rc 1090 preamp.

But the problem I am having is the wifi in my apartment is rather shoddy and while I plan on upgrading my router and hoping that helps I still would prefer a wired solution for using spotify but am unsure what it is I should be looking for as I know about sonos but they do other things as well I think other then just stream spotify.

TL;DR: Need something that can stream spotify and uses a Ethernet connection and hopefully controllable from my phone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm 

The Bluesound Node 2 would work well as a wired solution.

But to touch on your wi-fi issue. Although one could benefit with a more modern wireless router, there is no guarantee the newest, latest and greatest will improve your wi-fi. You need to identify your issue first then go from there. Given you live in an apartment I am going to guess your problem is saturation and not limited bandwidth. Each wi-fi band has multiple channels. If everyone within your apartment complex is using the same channels, that channel will become saturated and you will get poor performance. There are many free wi-fi analyzers apps that can be downloaded for your smartphone/tablet that will identify which channels are used the most. Your solution may just be switching to a less used channel. And if you can’t switch channels due to limitations with your existing router, now you’ll know to look for one that offers this feature.

Last edited by sthomas1049 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm 

You need one of these. I use them on all of my chromecasts.

https://store.google.com/us/product/eth ... t?hl=en-US

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:00 pm 

If you are slightly technically inclined ... you could buy a raspberry pi and a hifiberry and then put volumio on it.
Would only run you $100 ish ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
You need one of these. I use them on all of my chromecasts.

https://store.google.com/us/product/eth ... t?hl=en-US

The product specs indicates that this adapter works with Chromecast and Chromecast, 1st generation. It did not mention Chromecast Audio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 pm 

Krevvy wrote:
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post but here we go:

So at the moment I am using a chrome cast audio to stream spotify to my rotel rc 1090 preamp.

But the problem I am having is the wifi in my apartment is rather shoddy and while I plan on upgrading my router and hoping that helps I still would prefer a wired solution for using spotify but am unsure what it is I should be looking for as I know about sonos but they do other things as well I think other then just stream spotify.

TL;DR: Need something that can stream spotify and uses a Ethernet connection and hopefully controllable from my phone.

Not sure what the real symptom is that you are experiencing. As near as I can tell, you are connecting your Chromecast Audio to your Rotel using RCA cables.

I have connected my Chromecast Audio to my Mac preamp and Mac amp using RCA streaming Spotify premium and it sounds like playing a dollar store CD on a $50 CD player. I think the preamp is revealing all the warts in the built in Chromecast DAC.

I stream Spotify premium through both Chromecast and Chromecast Audio. With Chromecast, I bypass the built in DAC by using my Sony TV’s internal DAC. It sounds a bit better, but still harsh and unnatural. YouTube streaming on this setup sounds better than Spotify premium. I have also tried connecting my Chromecast Audio to a Teac 501 DAC using an optical cable. Still sounds a a dollar store CD. My conclusion is that Spotify premium simply doesn’t play well with either Chromecast or Chromecast Audio.

Incidentally, my wifi signal is strong.

As well, Spotify premium actually sounded enjoyable when I stream over Chromecast Audio connected with the short yellow cable to a $200 Bluetooth powered speaker. Sound quality would be similar to playing fm on a Bose radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 am 

Google’s specs are a bit misleading but all Chromecast devices support the Ethernet adaptor. The OP never mentioned audio quality, just that his wi-fi was shoddy – which if he lives in a highly populated area, he is most likely dealing with channel saturation as I mentioned above.

Krevvy – something I forgot to mention was to check which frequency band you are using. Wi-fi on the 2.4 GHz band will be the most common therefore the most saturated. Example - At the time of writing this post within my vicinity I counted 25 wi-fi broadcasts on the 2.4 GHz band and only 5 on the 5 GHz band.

There are 11 overlapping channels on the 2.4 GHz band and up to 23 independent channels on the 5 GHz band depending on router. You can see in the picture below of the scanned 2.4 GHz band, channel 4 and 9 are the least used (channel 12 to 14 are not used in North America).

Attachments:
WiFiAnalyzer.jpg
WiFiAnalyzer.jpg [ 52.75 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:31 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
The Bluesound Node 2 would work well as a wired solution.

But to touch on your wi-fi issue. Although one could benefit with a more modern wireless router, there is no guarantee the newest, latest and greatest will improve your wi-fi. You need to identify your issue first then go from there. Given you live in an apartment I am going to guess your problem is saturation and not limited bandwidth. Each wi-fi band has multiple channels. If everyone within your apartment complex is using the same channels, that channel will become saturated and you will get poor performance. There are many free wi-fi analyzers apps that can be downloaded for your smartphone/tablet that will identify which channels are used the most. Your solution may just be switching to a less used channel. And if you can’t switch channels due to limitations with your existing router, now you’ll know to look for one that offers this feature.

Yea it is saturation but the router I have at the moment only supports the main channels and doesn't support the higher bands that while not as strong would also be less saturated.

-- 16 Jan 2018 11:35 --

sthomas1049 wrote:
Google’s specs are a bit misleading but all Chromecast devices support the Ethernet adaptor. The OP never mentioned audio quality, just that his wi-fi was shoddy – which if he lives in a highly populated area, he is most likely dealing with channel saturation as I mentioned above.

Krevvy – something I forgot to mention was to check which frequency band you are using. Wi-fi on the 2.4 GHz band will be the most common therefore the most saturated. Example - At the time of writing this post within my vicinity I counted 25 wi-fi broadcasts on the 2.4 GHz band and only 5 on the 5 GHz band.

There are 11 overlapping channels on the 2.4 GHz band and up to 23 independent channels on the 5 GHz band depending on router. You can see in the picture below of the scanned 2.4 GHz band, channel 4 and 9 are the least used (channel 12 to 14 are not used in North America).

Ah didn't know there was a Chromecast adapter.

And yea my bands for 2.4 is similar to your graph (though be clocer to 40 people along the spectrum) but the router I have at the moment can't switch to 5ghz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 am 

I forgot about the Chromecast Ethernet adaptor – props to Pneumonic. Obviously that is your cheapest solution assuming you are happy with the Chromecast (when your wi-fi works)

As for purchasing a new router, it is a bit of an odd time for Wireless Mesh is still new(ish) and somewhat expensive in comparison. I predict in the next year, if you can hold off, the price will come down and the technology will be incorporated into a more feature rich routers. But by the sounds of it you could definitely benefit from a new router. Is your current router provided by your ISP or do you own it? If from your ISP, hit them up for an updated one. At the very least you’ll get the 5 GHz band.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am 

I forgot to mention that there are other ethernet adapters that also will work. I only have experience with the official Google one linked which, BTW, is the same adapter that is included with the newer Chromecast Ultra models. And, it also does work with my CCA's.

Delivery of mine took a day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
I forgot about the Chromecast Ethernet adaptor – props to Pneumonic. Obviously that is your cheapest solution assuming you are happy with the Chromecast (when your wi-fi works)

As for purchasing a new router, it is a bit of an odd time for Wireless Mesh is still new(ish) and somewhat expensive in comparison. I predict in the next year, if you can hold off, the price will come down and the technology will be incorporated into a more feature rich routers. But by the sounds of it you could definitely benefit from a new router. Is your current router provided by your ISP or do you own it? If from your ISP, hit them up for an updated one. At the very least you’ll get the 5 GHz band.

I own the current one.

Was looking st spending around 100$ on a new one but I can wait if the adapter works as everything else in my apartment is wired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am 

Called my service provider again and talked to them about my problems and they are now sending me a free router to use that supports 5ghz. So that should make a big difference for my general apartment but I also have purchased the Chrome cast adapter as well.

Another question as I am more curious then anything:
How different would it be to run a optical cable from the Chromecast to a dac instead of getting something like the bluenod. As wouldn't a dedicated dac sound better then the one in the bluenod?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am 

The 5Ghz will defiantly improve your throughput – unfortunately you will have to setup all your wireless devices again.

As for the Chromecast to your DAC vs the Bluesound Node…that’s tough to say without comparing the 2 side by side. But for the low cost of a TOSLINK cable I’d say it’s well worth trying to connect your Chromecast to your DAC. Keep in mind the TOSLINK cable must have the regular connection on one end (for your DAC) and a mini connection on the other for the Chromecast. A mini TOSLINK adapter can be used if you can only find a regular TOSLINK cable.