Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:29 am 

I did not buy anything from him.
I left an expensive reel to reel with him trusting that he would repair it as he had a lot of restored recorders around and I believed that he did the work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 am 

flo777 wrote:
I did not buy anything from him.
I left an expensive reel to reel with him trusting that he would repair it as he had a lot of restored recorders around and I believed that he did the work.

It's unfortunate what happened. If you had done the same with a reputable retailer or if it was someone you knew and trusted, this would not have happened. I'm not saying we don't all roll the dice sometimes and take chances. Hopefully your reel to reel will surface in some ad (it's not a common model) and you can retrieve it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 am 

The guy is a total scumbag, has been jailed (and once I think for arson), and just keeps doing it over and over (and recruits young thugs to help him). In the pinball trade he uses a "no balls" scam technique. He will ask for money upfront if you are long distance and then you never see the goods or your money back. If you happen to show up at the door, you generally get what you came for although it's often described better than how it is. A few people have threatened to knee-cap him, and I've seen him called out before, but I can't remember any serious damage being done.

He talks a great gab and thus tends to gain people's confidence or distract them. In my case he tried to distract me while he had others trying to shop lift for him.

-- 01 Sep 2017 12:50 --

racecars wrote:
[We met more than once, at the former pinball museum. Good to know youre into audio too!

Hey Warren, lol, it's such a small world! I haven't been to the Church nor anywhere else like TOPL in ages now. I have an ST-300B Assemblage that I built from a kit, Rega Planar 2, and Klipshorns for speakers. That's my "Jazz" system for vinyl. Needs a few things, I have been planning to re-cap and re-diaphram the speakers for ages now.

Uttley has always been a thorn in my side as he made it hard to do local deals here where I am because he operated near here and people were never quite sure who they were dealing with. The guy is such a sad waste of space.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:58 am 

I find it hard to believe that a local scammer can simply twist the justice system, and ends up living much better than hard working, honest citizens..
If he is known to the police, and has scammed so many people, there must be a way to get justice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 am 

flo777 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a local scammer can simply twist the justice system, and ends up living much better than hard working, honest citizens..
If he is known to the police, and has scammed so many people, there must be a way to get justice

This is why he prefers the "out of town" scam, because it is hard to be prosecuted for a non-local theft crime, it goes way down on the police scale of "urgencies" to deal with. And he is a slippery character with many aliases.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 am 

Many people know where he lives, so he is vulnerable to confrontation from those he has burned at this point in life.

I wasn't ripped off by the guy, in fact I wish I had known who he was prior to meeting him. He did short me a manual which was advertised with purchase and it turned out to be fairly costly to get a repro. He just stopped returning calls after he said he had the manual, typical a-hole lying seller.

People make him out to be some kind of Kaizer Sose interweb pseudo bad ass.

He is in fact a fat shlub who pieces together his existence as a petty horse trader/crook. If he screwed me, I'd fix him good.

I, for once would like to read a thread where somebody fixed his wagon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 am 

Surprising that no one took him to court.. police will probably not get involved if they hear one case.
Everyone who was ripped off by this guy within the past 3 years or so, please send me a PM. With enough witnesses there must be something that can be done legally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 am 

Please send me a PM if you have or had bad experiences with Mark Uttley (now Ken Tunstall)
I need all the evidence if I end up in court with him

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:10 pm 

I have unfortunately been scammed by this lowlife too for big bucks. I am in California and fell for a giant eBay scam he had going under alias of Ron Backwell with supposed wife Sue Backwell. Sent money and received no goods. if anyone local could be of assistance that would be of great help to me. Have considered flying out to see what I can do in person but have limited time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 am 

Is this him ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-systems- ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 am 

The Kijiji phone number matches up with one of his here: https://user.xmission.com/~daina/blacklist.html

He's on a couple of blacklists including: http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy120.htm

He is also on Kijiji's blacklist as a fraudster so if reported they will likely take down his ads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am 

Good Advice Musicware4u

I'd suggest taking it one step further and exercise that due diligence for any and all transactions you are thinking of getting into. In the case of this Bozo - it appears that it would only take a couple emails to bring out its true colors

and boom, crisis averted