Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

So yesterday I picked up a new Rega Brio-R from Audio Eden. The newer 2016/2017 model. I used to have the older Brio-R from 2012 to 2014. I'm very impressed with the new Brio. It's such a fun amp to listen to. Warm, engaging and very very musical. Definitely a step up from the previous model, and I'm saying this with not even 20 hours into the break-in and my system being in my basement right now with cement walls which aren't ideal acoustics.

FYI, my setup is: Rega Brio-R, Marantz CD6004 cd player, Totem Dreamcatcher speakers.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to hook up the P2 turntable I also bought. I'm looking forward to that. Anyone else compare the new Brio to the old one and also notice the difference in sound quality?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I really love the warm, musical, and plump bottom end.
It still struggles when giving the volume a wicked crank to rock out, but can't expect to have everything covered in a budget amp.

Love it though. Great little piece, and a nice upgrade from the last model.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:15 pm 

Nice. Never heard the Brio but it’s small form factor has always intrigued me. I like Rega’s approach to simplicity.

Have you seen Michael Fremer’s Rega factory tour? They touch a bit on the Brio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7elN5K ... HtwRu517vv

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Nice. Never heard the Brio but it’s small form factor has always intrigued me. I like Rega’s approach to simplicity.

Have you seen Michael Fremer’s Rega factory tour? They touch a bit on the Brio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7elN5K ... HtwRu517vv

Enjoy!

Hadn't seen the video. WIll check it out! Thanks

-- 16 Dec 2017 02:37 --

Forbes_2 wrote:
I really love the warm, musical, and plump bottom end.
It still struggles when giving the volume a wicked crank to rock out, but can't expect to have everything covered in a budget amp.

Love it though. Great little piece, and a nice upgrade from the last model.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, it really is quite nice. I could see someone having that amp for decades and never have the desire to upgrade. It does everything right. Now I'm off to find a used Rega DAC at a decent price to match it up....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:41 pm 

Would the new Rega Brio be a step up on the NAD C326 BEE Integrated that I"m currently using?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm 

mikehar20 wrote:
Would the new Rega Brio be a step up on the NAD C326 BEE Integrated that I"m currently using?

I've had the NAD D3020, which is supposedly similar in sound to the 326 (DAC aside), and I would say with the new Brio, yes it's a step up. Compared to the older Brio, very similar, but the Brio felt more powerful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am 

mikehar20 wrote:

I have the NAD 326 BEE and love it. The Rega Brio ( 2017 edition ) is a fairly different animal . According to a number of reviews it has quite a detailed , crisp sound . It also ( according to Stereophile measurements )has limited dynamic headroom beyond its rated power and it is not advised to listen very loudly with speakers rated at 4 ohms.

The NAD has considerably more dynamic power and has no limitations at 4 ohms. I would describe its sound slightly dark to neutral but certainly not crisp ( at least not in the negative sense .)

This is NOT to say the NAD is better than the Brio but different and will likely appeal to different people with different tastes and , especially ,different speaker loads. )

Both the NAD and Brio have been reviewed quite often. The reviews pretty clearly demonstrate the differences. Having choices like these two different components is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 am 

The reason why I asked about the new Rega Brio perhaps being a step up from the NAD C326 is that I"m using it to drive a pair of Ruark Templar small floor standing speakers.
The Ruark"s are known to be very non fatiguing and smooth sounding,perhaps they would benefit with a little more detail that the Rega has over the NAD and in the end be a better match.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

I have had one for little more than a month now. This after a good half doz small form amps and this is definitely my favourite of the lot; which includes the Naim Unitiqute 2.
I run it a good 12-14 hours non stop on the weekends with 4 ohm speakers at reasonable levels with the odd blast and it hasn't struggled with that at all. Unit stays barely warm. Tough to beat at $900.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:30 am 

i have had my new Rega Brio for about a month now. i bought Rega RS1 speakers and cables at the same time. got lucky and just happen to be in Kuala Lumpur the weekend they where having a audio show. the local dealer had a set up on display and this little amp and speakers blew me away. i attend the Philharmonic regularly and this does everything right, strings, piano, voices and rocks too. punches way above it's weight. i am also a tube guy i might add, sublime, musical, nuanced. Terry Bateman did some kind of Mojo with the PCB. i think he has mimicked class A sound somehow. 2nd order harmonics? just sounds musical in a neither worldly sense between SS and Tubes. tried the new RX3 speakers btw which are a bit more transparent, but to my ears not as musical. besides the RS1's come in a sexy piano black.