Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Cables with the greatest impact in your system
Analog Interconnect 20%  20%  [ 48 ]
Phono cable 10%  10%  [ 24 ]
Digital 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Speaker 22%  22%  [ 52 ]
Power 19%  19%  [ 44 ]
None 26%  26%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 236
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:00 am 

Cables are always a hot debate, and for those that feel cables made a difference in your system, here is an opportunity to share your experience and contribute to a poll. Even made space for the naysayers.

Last edited by Argon66 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 am 
Premium User

Phono cable. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:17 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Phono cable. 8)

Agree and should be included in the poll. World difference between analog interconnect used between 2 line levels compared to one used for phono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Phono cable. 8)

Agree and should be included in the poll. World difference between analog interconnect used between 2 line levels compared to one used for phono

Me too. Other cables have (minimally) changed the quality of sound, but the phono cable made a HUGE difference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am 

Power cable. I get nothing until I plug mine in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am 

Hi,

Unquestionably, it is the phono interconnect cable. The very small signals from a cartridge, and even more so for low output moving coil cartridges, require an exceptionally clean pipeline.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 am 

The source is always the most important. My first cable upgrade: Fulton headshell wires in 1978. Once we tried them for about $10, everyone bought a set for themselves and friends. The standard upgrade for everyone, Fulton headshell wires and a Grado cartridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Unquestionably, it is the phono interconnect cable. The very small signals from a cartridge, and even more so for low output moving coil cartridges, require an exceptionally clean pipeline.

Cheers,
David Neice

Technically I wouldn’t use the word clean. A cables electrical characteristics of inductance, resistance and capacitance has much more of an effect with a cartridge/phono stage combination than it does with line level. But I get your point :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

"None - dont buy the hype"

carries 41% of the vote, as of this typing. (it will vary and shift as the poll goes on. Obviously)

Which shows you how big the problem is, when trying to get people to understand that cables do indeed make a difference.

That it is down to a case of discernment and capacity to discern, inherent mental considerations, ear design/wiring of the individual and how these are all individual and different, like athletic skills, academic skills, intellectual skills, creative skills, and any other individualized and individually weighted skill set you can imagine.

Then, on those considerations...how much one is emotionally involved, with the prerequisite skill and discernment bit bits in place in the individual person.

3% of the us population involved themselves in the US war for independence. That was enough to get the war won.

In this case, we've got +40% ready to attack (suppositional - but relatively accurate) those who do hear these differences, the differences that are discerned and desired, via the physical and mental differences in individuals as mentioned in the above bit on individual skills. To state the obvious, individualism is not a one size fits all kinda thing.

We've got about 13x the societal weight required to end a war or in this case, disturb and damage attempts of the other 60% to try and find their way to sonic nirvana.

40% don't get it and can't see it and quite a bit of that 40% is well ready to interfere in the seeking and searching 60%.

If the 60% want to have their path clear, they are going to have to come down on the 40% who are interfering, as the level of interference will not drop. As it is literally a desire and capacity for discernment thing..and this is all about mental projection, coming from a group who is not observably involved in the growth of their own discernment. Ie, a circular lock on their own motion into growth. Or that.. in combination with not possessing some or much of the bodily wiring required for that given path of discernment. Perhaps some other skill set is in their particular tool box. the essence of individualism. Point is --this is an AUDIO forum and it involves itself directly in the desires aims and lives of the 60% who can discern and are here on the given forum, for that very reason. Being attacked by the other major group is not part of what makes a forum work.

Peace in this area (audio forums in general) requires force and the maintenance of force. Force of a kind that disallows the interference from the 40% into the 60% who desire to move forward.

One or two forums have policies involving cable debates. They allow people to talk about the cables in ways where they describe what they hear and what they do and don't like. cable debates of any kind are not allowed. Derision toward people who hear differences in equipment and cables and whatnot, is not allowed. Denial and associated derision threads are not allowed. Some learn to try and sneak attack to use subtleties of wording (carefully constructed sarcasm) so they can get away with attacking. That is also ferreted out and disallowed. If such a policy is enacted long enough and well enough, the behaviour does indeed cease. But it is always in the wings, waiting to flame up and attack that which it does not understand.

It is clear to the 60% who do hear difference and they are generally kind about it and put up with the attacks in some ways and most times... simply due to human kindness.

It is not clear to the 40%, where many of the 40% of deniers do commit to attacks and deeply disturb the given forum, without a single breath or break.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 am 

Should specify interconnects to be either RCA or XLR. Changes in the latter have a significantly smaller delta than single-ended cables.

For me, it was surprisingly the power cable on both a tube Jolida amp and also the latest Hegel H360. I was honestly shocked and couldn't explain it, and I'm not one to pump up the cable hype.

I think it's very gear dependant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 am 

brownslane wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Phono cable. 8)

Me too. Other cables have (minimally) changed the quality of sound, but the phono cable made a HUGE difference.

i read often about phono cables making a noticeable difference

without starting a pissing match, i have read that the AQ Golden Gate IC's were very good for $85 dollars?

thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am 
Premium User

Why not just put "none"?
Why add the crap about "hype"? It isn't necessary.
If people didn't hear the difference, then that's all there is to say.
We don't care Trolls and their prejudices.
Maybe some people can't hear the difference, because their system doesn't allow them to hear the difference. That's not about "hype".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am 
Premium User

AVguy wrote:
Why not just put "none"?
Maybe some people can't hear the difference, because their system doesn't allow them to hear the difference. That's not about "hype".

...or their hearing is 'shot'...or they just don't know how to 'listen'... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 am 
Premium User

Voodoo Funk wrote:
AVguy wrote:
Why not just put "none"?

...or their hearing is 'shot'...or they just don't know how to 'listen'... 8)

Well, obviously I thought that, but I don't want to start a fight. :?
I just wanted to point out that "hype" was irrelevant to the topic. The reasons 'why' are another whole sensitive topic. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 am 

A few tweaks made to the poll baed on suggestions...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next