Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:00 pm 

Hey CAM folks, I've done a bit of buying here this year and lurked (and learned!) a bunch from hanging out, but this is my first forum post. Hi!

I've been saving up some cash for a turntable this year so I can listen to the small stack of records that's growing in my living room. I know there are endless threads about what makes a good entry-level turntable, vintage vs. new, etc., and I'm working my way through them... on the whole, I'd prefer to buy new because I like warrantees and return policies, and I like what I've read about the Rega tables. I'm on a limited budget, and my amp (NAD C740) doesn't have a phono stage, so I also need a phono preamp.

Wading through the endless possibilities, at my budget (~$600) it seems like I can head in a couple of different directions: I can buy all the turntable I can get (something like the Rega P1) and pair it with a cheap preamp like the ART DJ-Pre, or I can buy a bit less table (RP-1, for instance) and use the remaining funds to spring for a nicer preamp (maybe the Schiit mani, or the Rega Fono Mini). Any thoughts out there on the merits of one approach over the other?

Thanks for any advice you've got!

Last edited by two2the8 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 pm 

I would go for the table and cheap phono stage. For that matter, you can get some decent stages for about $100. Nothing wrong with buying used, just buy local.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:33 pm 

Hi,

I agree with canadiansnowland. Spend the money you have now on a good TT and MM cartridge: you won't regret it. Then look for a used Cambridge Audio or a Musical Fidelity Moving Magnet (MM) phono stage for maybe $100. Then, as your ears develop, you can upgrade the phono stage for even more fidelity. A Rega P1, while still good, will stall your audiophile development. A good new Rega P3 can be had within your budget. So, shop till you drop.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
I would go for the table and cheap phono stage. For that matter, you can get some decent stages for about $100. Nothing wrong with buyin
g used, just buy local.

I absolutely agree. Spend the money on the best used tt you can get. P1 will not satisfy you for long; look to Thorens, Technics.You will be buying at 40% of what new costs, so you can get a good turntable with an upgraded cartridge at the cost of a cheap new turntable. I also agree that, initially, buy an inexpensive Rega or Cambridge or equivalent phono amp and trade up when you get a little more money. Be sure and buy the turntable and cartridge FIRST....then you can ask the forum here to recommend a compatible phono...careful matching will make a huge difference in the sound and your enjoyment!

Ideally, if you could get your budget up to a $grand, you would have a huge selection to choose from.

Used audio equipment does not mean worn out or abused. You can get equipment from someone who is moving up the ladder and get quality for less than the big-box store stuff. Buy locally and only if the equipment is demonstrated fully and you are satisfied. Don't feel pressured into buying anything....the right table will come to you if you are patient!!

Any volunteers in Vancouver area to help a new CAM poster find a good, local turntable?

Welcome to the CAM group. You have found the right place! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm 

check with dealers for trade ins as well. my dealer told me that proJect honors warranty on used tables when purchased from an authorized dealer.
I pulled a pin on the stock cart on a ProJect table when changing it over. Ortofon claimed they never heard of such a thing so did nothing but ProJect stepped up and replaced it under warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

Pro-ject tables are good value for money. The same co. markets phono pre-amp/s too. Recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 pm 

I hear the ART DJpre is a real sleeper.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 pm 

Give Nick a visit at The Turntable Shop
http://theturntableshop.com/
:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 pm 

Wow, thanks for the helpful advice all. I'm interested to read the thoughts about the limitations of the rega tables & the general consensus on buying used, too... I think I'll slow down and reconsider a bit. I've had good experiences buying from folks on here before.

I guess part of the thing that appeals about the rega (and some of the other entry level tables) is that there's not such a learning curve with setup, balance, cartridges, etc. I'm into learning about those things, truly, but I don't wanna mess anything up out of the gate (or spend a bunch of time feeling uncertain while I'm listening). Anyway, I'll keep digging and reading and keep an eye out here (and I guess I'll head out to a shop or two when I have a chance).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:30 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

I agree with canadiansnowland. Spend the money you have now on a good TT and MM cartridge: you won't regret it. Then look for a used Cambridge Audio or a Musical Fidelity Moving Magnet (MM) phono stage for maybe $100. Then, as your ears develop, you can upgrade the phono stage for even more fidelity. A Rega P1, while still good, will stall your audiophile development. A good new Rega P3 can be had within your budget. So, shop till you drop.

Cheers,
David Neice

I'm sure you mean used. A new one approaches $1500. But a used p3 is a good way to go....when you go to upgrade, you'll usually get your money back...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Spend everything you can on the tt imo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 pm 

edit: PM'd you

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm 

Another point: You should not expect that you will know all the ins and outs of various turntables, manufacturers, and especially (my weakness) the cartridge. I suggest you do what I do; post your thoughts and, if you have a couple of choices, let us know what they are; you will get the straight information about which might fit better with your needs, relative values, etc.

And, most importantly, have some fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

Look up Innovative Audio in Surrey, the owner is a great guy and will back his products, he always has a good selection of turntables and cartridges to match, and has lower priced phono preamps.... not open on Sundays and Mondays.... go there first before you do anything else, tell him your plan and he will give you some great advice... just look for the biggest guy in the room with Silver hair... he will not steer you wrong..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

Your Budget, around 600.00$

New with warranty...

For starter, Excellent TT, and Phono pre-amp that meets your budget , + or -

Pro-Ject Essential III 400.00$ CDN plus tax.

• Belt drive with synchronous motor and silicone belt
• Diamond cut aluminium drive pulley
• Chassis & platter made of resonance in-sensitive MDF
• Integrated DC-powered motor control
minimizes motor vibration and guarantees speed stability
• Low tolerance platter bearing with strainless steel spindle
• 8,6” aluminium tonearm with sapphire bearings
• Ortofon OM10 cartridge pre-mounted
• High-quality semi-balanced Connect it E phono interconnect with gold-plated RCA connectors included
• Special decoupling feet
• Dust cover included
• High-gloss colour options: black, red, white

Technical specifications

Pro-Ject Phono Box

Input impedance, MM 47kohms/120pF
Input impedance, MC 100ohms/120pF
Gain, MM 40dB
Output voltage typically 300mV/1kHz at 3mV/1kHz (MM input)
Gain, MC 60dB
Output voltage typically 300mV/1kHz at 0,3mV/1kHz (MC input)
Max. output 9,5V (1kHz)
Noise floor, MM 86dB (94dB - A weighted)
Noise floor, MC 68dB (75dB - A weighted)
THD, MM 0,01%
THD, MC 0,05%
RIAA-equalisation curve accuracy 20Hz - 20kHz / max. 0,5dB
Outboard power supply 18V/200mA DC,
suitable for your country's mains supply
Standby power consumption < 1 watt
Dimensions W x H x D 103 x 36 x 103 (109 mm with sockets)
Weight 540g

150.00$ CDN plus tax