Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:17 pm 

I need to know which is better option here, adding a sub to your current system or buying another pair of full range speakers?

What is exactly a full range speaker system, would you still need a sub?

I am thinking of adding a subwoofer to my system for I feel it could use a little bass. Specs says then go down to 50Hz.

Some recommendations would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks for taking time to answer my query.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:36 pm 

I recently added a sub to my Angstrom Obbligatto speakers. Didn't think I really needed one but took chance to trade for a Tannoy TS2.1 and certainly glad I did.
My pre has high and low pass outputs so integration was easy; I set the sub crossover to defeated so a little play with volume and placement was all it took. I thought of getting a second sub but space is limited and I am able to place the one between the main speakers.
The benefit I realize is full range. The bottom end has certainly filled out but also an improvement in the mid and high frequencies occurred; perhaps as the amps now have less stress on producing the full range.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:00 pm 

Full range speakers have no cross-over. So the speaker plays the whole freq range. The challenge you have with any speaker is its physical properties and ability to respond to varying frequency requirements.

Subs are great as they take that real low freq stuff away from your mains which allow them to work more on what they do best. It is a matter of specialization. I have a 15 inch sub on my main system even though I have old-school "big boxes" and 12 inch woofers. The increase in dynamics was palpable.

Do you have a buddy you could borrow a sub from and give it a try? That would be the best way to determine if you need/like the difference in sound.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pm 
Premium User

If you have the space and scratch get a full range speaker. Assuming you are talking about large speakers that go below 30Hz and not full range point source drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 pm 

Nobody has asked what speakers you have, and what your budget is.
If you have a good pair of speakers now, with clear smooth response from 50 up, then adding a subwoofer can be quite satisfying. If they are not good, you would be better to buy a new pair of speakers.
Depending on how low you want to go, in frequency response, a good pair of speakers will get larger and more expensive, and have more demands on your amp.
I do have speakers that are capable of very low frequencies, but there is very little music that goes below 40 Hz.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:25 am 

Here is an industry expert perspective for you.

The link below points to the first in a series of articles on subwoofers and also provides a guide to how to properly integrate them with your mains.

http://www.psaudio.com/article/subwoofe ... -or-treat/

This link will give you a menu to all the magazine issues. There are a total of 7 articles. Issues 14 to 20.

http://www.psaudio.com/copper-magazine/

Few key points:
All speakers can benefit from adding subwoofers, even the uber expensive ones. (So, no matter what speaker you buy, full range, or otherwise, it will benefit from adding subs).
It is highly preferable to add two subs, rather than just one.
It is important to note that for the added subs to sound good, they need to be integrated properly, which is not an easy task. But the articles provide just that, a fairly easy process to integrate the subs properly.

I have added two subs to my system and used the process and I am happy with the result.

If you are looking for specific sub recommendations, when I did my research, RELs and Rythmiks were very highly recommended. But there are other very good ones as well. I went with RELs mainly for the reason I was looking for used, and they are more available here on CAM. The Rythmiks are only available on line. Rarely do I see them listed on CAM.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 am 

When the speaker system rates the bandwidth, distortion is rarely specified. THd typically increases very significantly near the bottom of the range on just about every "full range" system. Mechanical resonances also occur down there with drivers and enclosures.

Adding subwoofers should meaningfully reduce distortion but also when spread out (not at main speaker location) significantly reduce modal issues that exist in any domestically sized space.

Optimal results will be achieved with 3 or 4 running mono below about 90. This works for two channel and home theatre just as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

It entirely depends on your room. Large speakers in a small room can often be inferior to small speakers and a sub where you can move the sub around and tune the crossover and volume to mesh better with your dominant room modes. With a large speaker you cannot move it out of the ideal imaging position so you're stuck with the bass it gives you at that spot. Be careful with subs though, most have terrible overtones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:04 am 

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.

The speakers are PMC 21, driven by a Levinson 431, and due to space limitation, I cannot have a large sub, would have to be not larger then eight inches, and that does not leave me many choices, I think.