Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 am 

I installed Aviva anti-virus. It was almost pain free and I did a quick scan with it and all seems well. There are a few options that you can install (I didn't) but the basics look as though they're working.
Unless there is a compelling reason not to use it, I'm leaving well enough alone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 am 

If using Windows 10 there is no need to source out another Anti Virus. Win 10 comes with Win Defender baked in and it is actually pretty good. Even if you are not running Win 10, Win Defender is a free download from Micro$oft that will run on Win 7 and up (not sure about WinXP). I have not tried every AV out there but I have found that Win Defender to have very minimal impact on system resources. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:57 am 

I consider McAfee a virus.i installed it once,took 3 months for my hair to grow back in :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
I installed Aviva anti-virus. It was almost pain free and I did a quick scan with it and all seems well. There are a few options that you can install (I didn't) but the basics look as though they're working.
Unless there is a compelling reason not to use it, I'm leaving well enough alone.

Now you have made this change, you really need to run some clean up programs.
Eusing has a free Registry cleaner, and a couple other tools to look for reminants of 'the virus, aka a program' as it and other things do leave behind.
It won't interfer with anti virus, and does not run behind the scenes. Only runs when you want it.

Also highly suggest you do a couple drive clean up and defrags. Pairs of each program in you tool box. Do it a couple times.
After what you have gone through what I would term a soft crash... There will be a lot of left over parts and pieces of code and files lurking.

I tried a clean up tool once from Winzip. I had to get rid of it. Constant emails and advertising bubbles. Don't try their clean up tools...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 am 

Just to note - You do not defrag SSD’s. There is absolutely no need to! SSD controllers writes data to multiple NAND chips using algorithms that only the controller understands.

As for drive/registry cleanups. Just be cautious with programs that claim to clean your registry – removing the wrong key can and will make for a very painful experience at trying to trouble shoot why Windowz is not working.

Revo Uninstaller is a highly recommended program for drive cleanup. CCleaner is also a very good but a bit difficult to recommend since their recent security breach. As along as you don’t download version 5.33.XXXX you should be OK

Searching the interwebs, Eusing has been considered “Rogue” software. I don’t recommend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 am 

I always find there are some iffy recommendations in threads like these. My advice is to always check for yourself 3rd party testing of AV programs to verify their efficacy.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:28 am 

Haven't had a virus prog installed since '96....never really needed one, though my PC did catch a bug once maybe 15 years ago. I used to use an online virus and malware scan provided free by Symantec, but even that's been awhile. I believe this is the current iteration of the free scanner. Note that this scan doesn't repair anything...it just submits a report for your perusal, along with a link to buy the antivirus prog. They also provide a useful database with tips in case you want to remove the bug yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 am 

I second the comments about Windows defender and Win10. If you really want an anti-virus, ClamAV is an open--source alternative I have used in the past.
Of more concern than viruses are Trojans, DNS exploits etc. The single biggest vulnerability that most people have is that they do not change the default password and logins on their routers or update the router's firmware greatly increasing the possibility of attacks . Using a long alphanumeric password is good practice .
This is a first line of defence . As to malware I find Malwarbytes useful but it is annoying to find its free version- try filehippo but read the install screens. I do not use registry cleaners for the reasons noted. For a general file cleaner BleachBit is good - again opensource.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:07 am 

The best defence against malware is common knowledge. There is no such thing as 100% full proof virus scanning. AV software is only effective against known code. Malware developers are well aware of the challenges they face with AV software therefor they create a virus that can infect undetected. It is up to security analysts to find such virus and inform AV developers of the threat. This usually happens after infection.

IMO a good AV scanner is one that does not nag the sh!t out of you, offers daily updates to the definition files AND most importantly – is easy on system resources!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:43 pm 

Is it a big no-no to use two? Say, Windows Defender and some other anti-virus?
If it matters I'm using Windows 7.
The computer also came pre-installed with some anti malware program.
It doesn't impact the computers performance that I can tell.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

It’s rare but there have been actual cases where 1 AV software suit thinks the other is an actual virus. AV software works off a definition file that contains information of known virus. Another AV software suite could mistakenly think this definition file is a virus. Not saying this is always the case but it has happened. I’ve actually experienced this back in the glory days of Win 2000 while testing different AV suites.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/micros ... s-program/
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple ... idea/2670/

Why would you want to run 2 AV’s? Running 2 as a real time system scanner will also increase system resources. It would be ok to run 1 as a real time system scan, then perform a manual scan with another providing it does not detect the real time scanner as a virus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Just to note - You do not defrag SSD’s. There is absolutely no need to! SSD controllers writes data to multiple NAND chips using algorithms that only the controller understands.

As for drive/registry cleanups. Just be cautious with programs that claim to clean your registry – removing the wrong key can and will make for a very painful experience at trying to trouble shoot why Windowz is not working.

Revo Uninstaller is a highly recommended program for drive cleanup. CCleaner is also a very good but a bit difficult to recommend since their recent security breach. As along as you don’t download version 5.33.XXXX you should be OK

Searching the interwebs, Eusing has been considered “Rogue” software. I don’t recommend.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

If you research this further, the rogue reference originated in 2005, 2006, and is disputed then and even in use by some of the people who run the database. Look for reviews writen in 2015, 2016, and you get more positive reviews.
One of the reasons it has positives is because it is not automatic, or always scrubbing. Only on demand. It may not be for everyone. Another positive is it always starts with a system backup to revert if any problem arises. I've never had to revert to a prior.
As you say, there are needs to be cautious. Every computer build is different.. Ymmv as always.
Some users report using Esusing before CC makes CC more effective...too deep for me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:44 pm 

That very well may be the case. But why was the company/developers mischievous in the first place? Have they learned their lesson or just better at masking what ever devious things the software is performing? Even their website looks a bit dodgy. None the less, if you feel it is of value then I guess that is all that matters.

Any software that is designed for clean up should not only provide a backup option but also create a restore point within Windows. Registry cleaners, which are subject of debate over their usefulness should always be executed on demand – having one constantly scrub is just freakin disastrous!

Back in the Win 9X days, large registries could contribute to poor system performance. MS has been improving this drastically due to a different on-disk structure of the registry and much improved memory management and indexing. Poor performance from registry bloat is no longer an issue.

Doesn’t hurt to perform a little house cleaning. But as mentioned above, one should proceed with caution when performing any modifications within the registry. An incorrect removal of a specific registry key may not be detected for some time in which case the back up is useless. Windows is constantly changing registry entries.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 pm 

I have Windows 8.1 and only use Windows Defender. Works great for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 pm 

deepreel wrote:
The big names in the AV market are a f'ing pox. McAffee and Norton are both terrible platforms. Describing them themselves as a virus is entirely accurate. McAffee is the worst, but personally I think both stink.

Run, don't walk to any of the other good suggestions.
Deep

I can't help but feel Norton gets a bad rap that they don't deserve. More than 5 years ago it was a bit clunky and a resource hog. They had a real reputation for that but a lot of Norton's critics have started to praise it because Symantec has really improved things. But I mean, I have run Norton for over 20 years now (hard to believe it's been that long) and I've never experienced even a fraction of the problems others seem to have. But I can see how the software over time has gotten better and better so I know it was far from perfect at one point.

Once I tried switching to McAfee. It did not install properly and was a real pain to uninstall. Went right back to Norton. That was early 2000's I'd say. I'd like to try ESET one day but my parents also use Norton and switching over will likely mean a product that nags a bit and will therefore be less intuitive. Norton is pretty much 100% hands off and doesn't call attention to itself.

Free AV? Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't trust it to be as good. I like running a firewall too...so I opt for those products combining both.

sthomas1049 wrote:
IMO a good AV scanner is one that does not nag the sh!t out of you, offers daily updates to the definition files AND most importantly – is easy on system resources!

Agreed.