Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm 

Manfred Mann's Earth Band opened for Babe Ruth, Ottawa mid seventies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:02 pm 

If you want to make it real easy for opening bands to outshine the main act, just make them open for Kenny G...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 pm 

If I remember correctly, the headliner were the Headstones, but the opening act was an unknown band called Oliver Black. The headstones were decent, but Oliver Black were surprisingly very good. I thought for sure they were going to make it big, but never did. They've since changed their name to Timeline.

Also remember seeing Alice in Chains steal the show from Velvet Revolver in 2005 or 2006 which was surprising since VR was in their prime and AiC was trying to revive their band with their new singer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am 

Of course Blue Oyster Cult kicked Kiss's ass musically at the Toronto Ex late 70's, but to a lad of 16 the Kiss show was pretty cool.

Oh, and we got busted on the way out, better than on the way in!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Alvin Lee opening for Steppenwolf.

Steppenwolf tries to come on stage and gets booed by the crowd, which is telling them to "get off the stage and bring Alvin back".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm 

July 4, 2007 Bob Dylan at Place des Arts, opening act Jimmie Vaughn. Remarkable display of bluesmanship by Jimmie. Just when you thought his licks were over he would throw a little cream on top. Very solid and polished...but not TOO polished, just enough. Dylan came on and I could hardly understand a word recognize a song. $150.00!! per ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:44 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:

Steppenwolf tries to come on stage and gets booed by the crowd, which is telling them to "get off the stage and bring Alvin back".

Alvin Lee also outshone my input on this thread...Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio at the helm.
Great set but Alvin was better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:

I saw the same double bill at of all places Crystal Beach amusement park back in the 80's. I remember Alvin Lee was very very good, but so were Stepenwolf who were basically John Kay and some young hotshot hired guns by that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:20 pm 

Back in '71 Black Sabbath were headlining at the Civic Centre. I was a big Ozzy fan and was looking forward to a good show. The support acts were: "Yes" and "Alice Cooper". I knew Yes and liked them. I didn't know squat about Alice Cooper( I thought SHE was a folk singer :lol:) Yes gave a fantastic show and received multiple ovations, Alice came on a stage loaded with props (guillotine!) and proceeded to blow everyone's mind. No way Sabbath could compete against those two groups that night. To this day it still remains one of top shows in my opinion.
Ticket price was $4. advance or $5. at the door.

A few years ago Alice Cooper played here again and I had the opportunity to pick him and his manager up at the airport (no lie!) and on the way to the venue we were making small talk and I decided to bring up that concert in '71. He said he didn't remember it (of course he didn't) but then he proceeded to argue that he had never opened for Black Sabbath. He seemed adamant about it. But then again he also said those years were a little hazy. I politely said "Trust me I know I was there"
It was too surreal I had to laugh after I dropped them off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 pm 

good sound wrote:
Vintageman wrote:
Watching the SARS concert in Toronto on T.V., the Guess Who made the Stones look pretty bad.

The general consensus of those I know who attended that event is that basically everyone who performed that day made The Stones look pretty bad.

Yeah, I was there. The Stones mailed it in however, since they were one of the first to sign on that lead to the other acts commiting. There were varied acts including Justin Timberlake. Keep in mind none of these bands were paid to be there other than maybe basic scale. Justin was boo'd and those in the mosh pitt decided to throw their urine filled cups at him. That was the most disgusting thing to watch that day. Like his music or not, the guy was there for a good cause and some of the audience just decided to be assholes. I recall seeing cups hit his Fender Rhodes 73 keyboard, although I don't recall seeing him get hit directly. He knew what was happening and kept playing but cut his set short. He was in a lineup with AC/DC, Rush, Guess Who, Stones, so the crowd obv anticipated a harder rock audience. Timberlake had to know this but went on stage anyway.

-- 26 Jun 2018 18:48 --

dmk wrote:
guzziguy56 wrote:
2000 Tina Turner final tour . Girlfriend buys tickets and insists on dragging
me to the show . Calgary Saddledome . I know I'm in for a long night . Get a
look at all the paraphernalia on stage and it's exactly what I expected.
Out comes opening act , starts playing Blues ! 3 min in out comes
JOE COCKER . Wonderful , really unexpected , made my night . Ready to
leave after Joe but stayed for girlfriend .

Lindsey Buckingham opened for Tina Turner. Both shows were fantastic, but I remember saying to my wife that if the concert was cancelled after Lindsey, I would not feel the need to ask for my money back......

Yes and fans watching Fleetwood Mac's current tour will wish he was there. As it is they are way past their prime so to see them without Lindsa makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

1991 Monsters of Rock, Mainz, Germany:
AC/DC
headlining, preceded by Metallica, Queensryche, Mötley Crüe, Black Crowes.
AC/DC was headlining with a 3 hour set, but just did not stand up the Queensryche and Metallica performance before...

And for the weirdest combination:

1999 The 2nd Taos Solar Music Festival, New Mexico, USA:
A local Heavy Metal Band headlining, preceded by .... Harry Belafonte !!
If you think the Carnegie Hall set was special and fun, imagine listening to Harry performing many favourites from the set with 50 other people on a tiny grassy field with the Taos Mountains in the background...

Last edited by restock on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 pm 
Premium User

Monday, July 19, 1971....Ottawa Civic Centre...

Yes opening for Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath.

Kicker was that The Mahavishnu Orchestra featuring John McLaughlin opened the show...not even on the poster!!!

Attachments:
Treble Clef Concert Poster.jpg
Treble Clef Concert Poster.jpg [ 51.99 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:51 pm 

Late 60s or 1970 Jimi Hendrix was the opening act for the Monkees. I read where the crowd of young kids were not too impressed by his pychodelic style of play. Pete Townsend of the Who was there ..He called up Eric Clapton to inform him by saying we are out of a job when putting the phone to the stage to here some of the tunes Jimi was playing. The rest is history.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:08 pm 

First time I saw ZZ TOP they opened for Uriah Heap
August 25, 1973 Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY
Had never heard of ZZ Top before that night... actually went to see Uriah Heap. Rory Gallagher was scheduled as well but cancelled, and the promoters brought in Earth Wind and Fire to replace him. Yes, it was a weird, weird night!
ZZ Top rocked... Uriah Heap sucked. Earth Wind and Fire was really good as well, but it was a strange mix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:17 pm 

Jeff Buckley opening for Juliana Hatfield. Danforth Music Hall....1995-ish before his fateful swim.

80% were there for Jeff....Juliana was admit-tingly mortified to come on after.

Oh, Jeff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next