Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 am
Posts: 1136
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
Why is anyone protesting this? Are they afraid of being blocked? Is this a tacit admission of being annoying?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 am
Posts: 2
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Looking at this from a potential buyer's perspective I get equally annoyed when the description in an ad is inaccurate but only after asking questions does it become evident. For example "works perfectly", is in the ad but only after asking questions it becomes clear that the seller doesn't really know the full functionality of what he is selling.

I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.

If a seller is not willing to answer questions then it sets a red flag for me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm
Posts: 301
Location: Delta, BC, CA
Totally agree with Dave47, a lot of flippers don't have a good grasp of what they are selling, some don't even unpack the box, just use the same info they were given when they bought it. So when you say "buyer beware" the only thing the buyer can do is ask questions, and the only stupid question is the one you don't ask... sometimes you may go in with the best intentions of purchasing and than Wham... another unit pops up that is even better so off you go, and too bad for the seller... it is a buyers market....
(Hypocrite time)
The only question I will not answer is "What is your lowest price? Now that is a stupid question, my lowest price is the highest price I can sell it for....if I am asking $2000, my lowest price is $2000 until someone convinces me otherwise...!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:32 am
Posts: 236
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Dave47 wrote:
Looking at this from a potential buyer's perspective I get equally annoyed when the description in an ad is inaccurate but only after asking questions does it become evident. For example "works perfectly", is in the ad but only after asking questions it becomes clear that the seller doesn't really know the full functionality of what he is selling.

I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.

If a seller is not willing to answer questions then it sets a red flag for me.


I agree.

The only time some seller at CAM is happy is if buyer drives down to his house, pays cash, picks up item site unseen for triple the inflated asking price.

Grow a pair, it takes 2 seconds to delete a stupid question and not that much longer to firmly say no. Bonus if reply is polite. As a buyer, some of the sellers are worse than Kijjiji but at an inflated price.

I'm not a dealer or flipper and very seldom sell my gear. Some seller would like to make CAM as their own personal store. There's probably a reason why their own store is doing not so well and they need a place like CAM to move their gear.


Last edited by davidchen on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:52 pm
Posts: 240
Location: North Gower, ON, CA
Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4401
Location: London, ON, CA
hollinger wrote:
Why is anyone protesting this? Are they afraid of being blocked? Is this a tacit admission of being annoying?


+100

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 am
Posts: 2
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
ottguit wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.



No. That was the first thing to try. Ensure there is a strong signal.

However you are not seeing the forest for the trees. This was just an example.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4401
Location: London, ON, CA
Dave47 wrote:
ottguit wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.




No. That was the first thing to try. Ensure there is a strong signal.

However you are not seeing the forest for the trees. This was just an example.



That is the problem with dealing with a gear flipper. This particular flipper had probably just plucked it out of a dumpster ("one of my favourite pieces in my collection"), spritzed it with a bit of Windex ("fully-serviced by a retired technician who prefers to remain anonymous"), plugged it in to see if it powered-up and tuned-in the local FM station ("fully-tested") and did a Google search to come up with his price ("you won't find a better deal on CAM"). Deal with flippers at your own risk.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am
Posts: 423
Location: Comox, BC, CA
Ever been given that test that starts with "Read the entire test before doing anything ..." and about three questions in somebody stands up and gives their full name and it goes from there ...

And when you do actually read to the end of the test it simply says "sign it and hand it in."

It just goes to show that even simple instructions get overlooked by many people.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Whitby, ON, CA
i know i am late to the party but have you ever put an ad for anything on Kijiji? the responses you get there make you want bang your head against the wall.the best response i ever get there "i'm interested in your parts for sale,please message me back". parts for sale when it is an entire car that is listed.

so did someone say this is a swingers site? as i have a swingset for sale...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group