Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 am 

Good day: the AKG K812s seem to be rarer than unicorns. I have been looking for a set for quite a while and have read the many conflicting reviews on them.....Tyll was quite negative and others quite positive but am interested in the opinions of fellow CAM members who have owned them or do own them as to what they have found. I listen to mainly female vocalists : Jazz mainly, but some country,blues and rock. I presently have 3 keepers (all open headphones): the HD800, Oppo PM1 and Stax 2701 which suit my old ears and listening genres. I am hoping to pick up a 4th "keeper" and am open to all suggestions. I have found the Audeze and Apha Dogs to be good sounding phones but just too heavy for me. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 am 

Never heard the AKG’s but Cosmo music has them in stock. Can’t validate that price, haven’t given this HP too much attention.

https://cosmomusic.ca/headphones-akg-k8 ... rence.html

Seen many sales on the similar priced Focal Elear. Headphoneshop in Toronto has them on sale for $1499…$300 off. Never heard them - many positive reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am 

AKG812 have been my reference HP's for 2 years now. I too am mainly a jazz listener ( women, pbd trios, progessive and european jazz mostly) and I do listen to some old prog rock from time to time. I find that the 812 gives me a clean and detailled sound without being analytical or flat. There deliver the emotion of the musical performance. They have a lively sound... very airy - lot of space between instruments - although they dont shine as the HD800 on the soundstage or imaging.

I was able to try the 812 with many different sources and amplification set ups and I have to say that they are quite sensitive to what you feed them with. My latest is the best: have them paired with a Phonitor X and an Aurender A10 as source ( server, streamer and dac ). Also note that I've invested in a custom cable for them - Toxic Black Widow. All this makes them very enjoyable headphones especially for complex jazz music... something like Ari Hoenig for example or Esbjorn Svensonn trio. I'm right at the place where I want to be: 4-5th row, in the middle, everything is in front of me, left to right, well placed. The impact of source and amplification is very noticeable in the bass rendition. The double bass is close to perfect for my taste: deep, detailed, not blury, i hear the notes and no overlapping on other instruments. I feel that also in deep women's voice like Cassandra Wilson for example... low notes have good body, not blurry or grainy.

The 812 are also big circumaural headphones. My ears are a little bit larger than normal and they fit perfect inside the pads. For example, i also have Beyer T1 gen 2 and they barely fit inside. This, and the fact that on my head - YMMV - the clamping is just perfect makes them very comfortable. I can have them on my head for extended periods without discomfort or any hot spots.

Finally, the build quality is top notch.

Tyll doesnt like these because he finds they're too bright and they dont score well on his measurements. He likes smoother HP's. IMO, its a matter of taste. Me, those 812 are my reference. They're not too bright for me but yes, they are lively HP's with a sense of PRAT.. Think of Naim in the 2 channel world. No way I'm as experienced as Tyll but we all have our own taste and the only thing to do is to try he product on an extended period and with the good equipment. I dont listen or even read measurements. But one thing is sure - take my word for it: the 812 is sensitive to source and amplification. The best you give them, the better they are... like many other things. That I've experienced it.

Hopes this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm 

Thank you for your detailed and helpful response.It is much appreciated. I will continue to keep my eye out on CAM for a used set.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm 

Personally, I find the K612pro the better headphone at a fraction of the price. The K812 tries to be AKG's answer to the HD800 but runs like a ragged rollercoaster in the top end.

As an alternative, I might suggest the Hifiman HE-560.