Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm 

I am just getting back into car audio. When I lived in downtown Toronto, Active Surplus (God rest her soul) was the best and cheapest place to get speaker cables and especially Power Wires which were real copper and not this new tinned copper crap they call CCA. I am looking for about 20 feet of 0 gauge OFC power cables. Either car stereo places charge an arm and a leg and then some for OFC and is usually available in 16ft only as an amp install kit.

Does anyone know where you can buy OFC and NOT CCA 0 gauge wire preferably from a bulk spool rather than a kit but at a reasonable price?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 pm 

Try an automotive store such as NAPA, Lordco, or possibly a Canadian Tire Automotive department. Phone ahead to make sure that they have what you want.....and appropriate terminals.
I was using this 12 AWG NAPA/Belden as speaker wire in my home stereo and it is the same wire that audio stores sometimes sell as speaker wire. I tried the 10 AWG version and do not recommend it.

Yeah - the first time I discovered copper clad aluminum was when I was trying to solder it underneath a vehicle in poor light. Crap is right.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL735320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 pm 

Thanks for the update. I saw spools of speaker wire at the Home Hardware on College and Spadina (in the basement). however I am in need for some OFC Power Cables. Seems all I can find is that crappy CCA stuff. I bought some 4 gauge from Sayal and almost bought the 0 gauge amp kit till I noticed the wires looked silver. The 4 gauge I bought looks cooper but when you flip it around in the light, it is silver.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 pm 

I have and still do use welding cable for power and ground in my car.Tech flex it what ever colour you like. comes on a roll or by the foot. princes auto sells it here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 am 

Sayals maybe? I have found good stuff there before with good pricing.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 am 

undertenposts wrote:
I have and still do use welding cable for power and ground in my car.Tech flex it what ever colour you like. comes on a roll or by the foot. princes auto sells it here.

+1

I've used it in the past. Works great!!

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 am 

Quote:

Thanks, I go check it out. I know for sure welding passes high current so maybe a good alternative. No issues with heat for the jacket? Heard the KbuKonceptz.com CCA cable's jacket melts. That's why I was hesitant as it seems Amazon.ca sells their OFC version but is $110 for 20ft will use that as a last resort. Dame.. miss Active Surplus!!

Oh...Sayal....all CCA except on the lower gauges.

Car audio has really calmed down now and more of a niche market unlike the old days. :( I figure the good part is car theft is down so less risk of getting my stuff stolen. In my younger days, every car I owned got broken in aat least 3 times per car. So sad...missed the old gear still. More about SPL back then for me...Now more into SQ (does a "Hyundai" scream....) Ahhhh......CAM!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 am 

dcrossle wrote:
Try an automotive store such as NAPA, Lordco, or possibly a Canadian Tire Automotive department. Phone ahead to make sure that they have what you want.....and appropriate terminals.
I was using this 12 AWG NAPA/Belden as speaker wire in my home stereo and it is the same wire that audio stores sometimes sell as speaker wire. I tried the 10 AWG version and do not recommend it.

Yeah - the first time I discovered copper clad aluminum was when I was trying to solder it underneath a vehicle in poor light. Crap is right.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL735320

The automotive stores also sell battery wire, which comes in pretty big gauges.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am 

I'd stay away from the power wire from Sayal or places around it at Dixie and Matheson. What they claim to be 8 or 4 gauge is way thinner compared to name brand wire. Your best bet is to go to a car audio installer and ask for some power wire off the spool. That's what I did and got JBL power wire from a shop by Dixie and Dundas. I just dropped in and bought some. I used welding wire for the big 3 upgrade from princess auto but they were very short runs. Welding wire definitely isn't ofc. You can see the oxidation when you strip it back.

If you miss active surplus try A1 electronics in Etobicoke. Same sort of thing. They have tons of wire. Just got some nice belden shielded pair audio cable from there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 am 

When it was located on Queen St, Supremetronic was Active Surplus’s biggest competition. They are now located in the Home Hardware at 290 College just west of Spadina. Haven’t been in a while but they have a very wide range of cable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

this welding cable is probably at least 5 years old if not older, been in different car's over that time. it's been sitting in a box outside in a storage shed for the last while. i cut it open to see whats going on inside. ymmv

Attachments:
IMG_2854.jpg
IMG_2854.jpg [ 368.83 KiB | Viewed 1100 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 pm 

+1 welding cable.
Princess Auto, any welding supply outlet.
Check if you have an Anexter cable supply outlet. Not sure if they do retail.

OFC...
This from a live music cable maker, guitar, speaker etc...
http://www.intexcables.com/9-cable-myths.html