Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:06 pm 

After 8 fun years with the Teo entry-level cables, I decided to order 2 pairs of the Splash Reference Silvers. Put the cheque in the mail yesterday and am patiently waiting for them.
Taras said he can upgrade the original cables when I receive the new ones. I can then 'loan' them out for 2-3 weeks at a time to whoever wants to try them out. All I ask is that I don't incur any shipping costs, so pick-up and drop off would be ideal. I will advise this forum when I get my original upgraded cables back from Teo Audio.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm 

I now have over 100 hours on my rebuilt original "entry-level " cables and can loan them out to anyone wishing to hear them in their own system. There are 2 sets, one was between my DAC and preamp, the other was between my preamp and amps. According to Ken and Taras, they are a bit better than the GC cables, but not up to the level of my new Splash Reference Silvers. Nonetheless they would give you an idea of what you can achieve in your audio system.

I can be contacted via email: wafermadness3@gmail.com

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:23 pm 

So.....how do they sound? Can you give a bit of a review.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:14 pm 

They reproduce music very well, better than before and I had them in my system for over 8 years. They are now on loan to a fellow Canuck up in Winchester, ONT. later they will be going to a fellow in Kitchener for an audition and then to a fellow in ST. Johns. I am loaning them out to people in the order the emails come to me.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:32 pm 

ZetagUser wrote:
They reproduce music very well.

The fellow in Winchester agrees wholeheartedly. :D

I'm about halfway through my trial period. Will post my thoughts next week, after I send the cables back to Igor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 pm 

Nice gesture - cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 am 

Here is an email Lutherton sent to me a while back. I thought I would post it as he must be on vacation.

Hi Igor

Well, I've had a fun two weeks with your cables. I've listened exclusively to vinyl the last couple of days, and after a few more LPs this evening I will package up the cables and mail them back tomorrow morning.

I've put another 50 hours or so on them. After the first few days, I switched back to my Blue Circle and Morrow interconnects for a day, then back to the TEOs again. Two days later, I switched from the Meitner preamp to a Creek passive pre.

Gotta say I really like the TEOs, especially with the Creek passive. I've always felt that my First Watt amp is extraordinary, and having the TEOs in-circuit has confirmed this for me, and IMHO sound quality is even better. The TEOs are now between the Meitner and Creek, for feeding signal from the Meitner's phono stage, with the second pair between the Creek and the First Watt amp.

Playing LPs has always been my preference, although some days I play more digital files. Turntable is a Sony PS-X50, which is nice although it can't hold a candle to your Lenco. Cartridge is a Micro Acoustics electret condenser, one of their better models with beryllium cantilever. If you like to experience different cartridges, you might try one of these. The TEO cables have allowed the MA to really shine, and I'm loving vinyl playback more than ever before. Soundstage width and depth is excellent, and all instruments and vocals are sounding better than I thought possible. I've been in stereo heaven since buying the First Watt, and my listening enjoyment has taken a step up with the TEOs.

Would I buy TEOs for myself? Probably, but not right away. My son and I have ordered LDR/optocoupler preamp components from New Zealand, which should arrive in the next few days. We'll be building these into cabinets of our choice, and we also have to get power supplies for them. These are more properly called passive attenuators, as they are zero gain (or less). I anticipate that mine will cost $400 - $500, in total. Will be interesting to see how this affects my enjoyment of music, compared to two pairs of TEO cables.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 pm 

Some days I wonder why I bother to loan my cables out to the curious who don't take it seriously and don't post their opinions on this thread! So far the cables are heading from St. John's to Montreal and the fellow in Kitchener has yet to post his thoughts. So here is an email he sent to me during the loan-out time.......

Hi Igor

We went away for 4 days Wednesday through this past Saturday. The system sounds great now.
I did some serious listening yesterday morning and plan to do some more Tuesday morning. Then I shall pack up the cables and send them back either Tuesday or Wednesday
Lots of rhythm and swing....quite neutral tone (which I'm not sure I like , brass instruments don't sound quite enough like true brass).

Lots of space on those recordings that have space. I can hear the splices in editing

Low bass, mid bass and upper bass are phenomenal

These cables are blues and rock delight

There you have it the good, the bad and the ugly
Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 pm 

Would you be more happy if they got a bunch of negative or neutral reviews posted here?

Send them over to me please. I'll be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 am 

Che: Shoot me an email and I will put you on the list and I will look forward to your review.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:04 am 

Argh. Cable listening tests. You may think what you like of them. I have done a number of them, blind, and I often find it hard, not necessarily to hear differences, but to describe them. For example, one good cable recently was lively, almost boosted-sounding, but with a quality that seemed to me like the audio version of the smell of new plastic. Know what I mean? If not, I can’t blame you. It takes a lot of concentrated attention, and then thinking, to come up with meaningful words sometimes.

And of course, it’s absurd to talk about the “sound” of a cable. Cables don’t make sounds, they influence them. But the language makes it hard to keep the distinction in mind.

I wouldn’t have bought the “plastic” cable. I am trying, though, to find a way to buy a couple of Teo Audio’s cables. This time, I’m fairly confident that I’ll be able to tell you why, in a way that makes sense.

A change in an audio system is only an upgrade if it delivers more information to your ears. Everyone can relate to words like “the music came closer”, “it seemed more real” or “a veil was lifted”. Of course these are clichés now, but they reflect people trying to describe what an upgrade sounds like. After the Teos were delivered, my girlfriend was good enough to sit down and listen to a blind cable swap, and that’s what she said.

Well, she doesn’t know the clichés. What she really said was “a veil descended”. That was after I put the old cables back in.

Maybe you can stop reading now! All you need to know is that the reference cable was nothing shabby. Not a recent design, it cost over $500 originally, and it has held up extremely well in comparisons with more modern cables at a similar price. I particularly like the way it doesn’t play with the music’s harmonic structure. Some cables seem faster, but don’t leave that intact. It’s discontinued, and I had put ETI connectors on it, like the ones the Teo cables have.

OK, you want a little more detail, you audiophile you.

I used a recording I own in both digital and vinyl versions. It’s a 1980s PCM recording by DGG, so we can’t expect scads of information off the bat. However the performance is of rare intensity and serves the music brilliantly. The two instruments involved are the cello and the piano, whose interplay is one of the charms of the composition. The Teo cable -- a single stereo pair -- gave each one its rightful place, whereas the reference cable gave a slight prominence to the cello. In addition, the Teo cable provided more complexity of timbre, a greater sense of depth and overall, that sense of a lifted veil which lets you in on details of timing and dynamics and persuades you that you are listening to highly proficient artists and not something vaguely synthetic (like plastic). In particular, the trailing edges of notes seemed prolonged, in a natural way, whereas the reference cable seemed to truncate them before they were quite finished. This helped the flow of the music and was a factor in my letting myself get caught up in it.

What was most remarkable to me was the fact that I got caught up in the music at all. My reference tube monoblock amplifiers were out of service, and I had swapped in my only backup, a chip amp. A highly regarded chip amp, but still, such a downgrade that I had hardly been spending any time with music since the reference left.

The Teo cable made the music so much more interesting that I started listening again.

No, the Teo-branded sonics weren’t enough, on their own, to bring the backup amp to reference level. When I listened to Rachel Podger’s magnificent performance, with her band Brecon Baroque, of Vivaldi’s La Stravaganza concertos in a 24/192 recording made on top-class equipment by Jared Sacks of Channel Classics, the lushness and 3-dimensional interplay I’m accustomed to were reduced enough that I stopped listening after a while. Aww. (By the way, since I’m naming names here, the cello and piano recording mentioned above was the J. S. Bach Sonatas for Cello and Piano played by Mischa Maisky and Martha Argerich.)

But then I did something I now wish I’d done earlier. My connection from preamp to amps is a long one, and I usually use a 2-metre cable for it. However I realized I could get the chip amp closer without moving the speakers much or at all. I tried it, and the second Teo loaner fit. That meant I could listen to an all-Teo interconnect set.

Well, with the Teos between DAC and preamp, and between preamp and amp too, my system was back. Not exactly the same sound quality the monoblocks give; things were a bit more bluff and forthright, less delicate, as perhaps you’d expect from solid state. The resolution was all there, though, and there was even more.

For one thing, the bass. A low piano note in the cello sonata was newly rich with harmonics and weight. The violins of Brecon Baroque allowed the cello and double bass to share the stage equally — all too rare in baroque music recordings. More difficult to describe is the thing I can express best as a change in how my system handled phase relationships. There was an impression that microtiming was better, that all the players were together on the downbeat, and the combined wavefronts from that shared downbeat arrived at my ears at the same time, the way they left the instruments. This was a physical impression. It made the performers occupy space in my listening room, and it seemed to me I was not working as hard to be involved in the music. In fact, I let myself go and let the music caress me in a way I thought I remembered from when I was much younger. It was delicious. I think I found something I didn’t know I was looking for.

Well, that means the Teos pulled off a trick that was worth the difference in price between my tube monoblocks and the chip amp, minus the Teos’ cost. That formula works out to much more than the cost of two pairs of Teo Game Changers, and puts the cables’ actual price in a new light.

Unfortunately, my tube amps won’t be back until I have to send the Teos on to the next participant in the round-robin that brought them to me. I’m sorry to see them go, but I’m happy for the next guy. And I’m intensely curious to see what Teos do with my tubes. Which is why I’m scraping up the cash I will need to get my own Teos, on their money-back guarantee. My hunch that I’ll be keeping them is very strong.

I’ll report back...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 am 

:D Thanks Toby for this very informative posting. You took a lot of time and care in describing how the sytem and Teos performed for you. Enjoyed your observations. Do follow-up when you try the game changers. regards, lloyd :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 am 

ZetagUser wrote:
I now have over 100 hours on my rebuilt original "entry-level " cables and can loan them out to anyone wishing to hear them in their own system. There are 2 sets, one was between my DAC and preamp, the other was between my preamp and amps. According to Ken and Taras, they are a bit better than the GC cables, but not up to the level of my new Splash Reference Silvers. Nonetheless they would give you an idea of what you can achieve in your audio system.

Igor,

I surprised this thread isn't getting more attention. I don't spend much time on CAM and I only recently heard about TEO cables elsewhere.

INTERRUPTION: The doorbell just rang. Purolator just delivered a package from TEO. What a coincidence!

Haven't opened the box yet, but I just received my 2m Game Changers. Yeah, for some reason I thought the GCs were TEOs entry level cable, but I take this isn't/wasn't always the case. Could you clarify? I really wanted to go with TEO's long balanced cables, but those are well beyond my budget at this time. If I understand you correctly, there isn't much difference between the original TEOs and the GCs. OTOH, the Splash Reference Silvers are quite a step up. How long and how much are the Splash?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 am 

Wind Chaser

Teo upgraded my entry-level cables a while back and those are the ones making the rounds. The Splash Reference Silvers are more refined and articulate compared to my original cables. However, Teo Audio is going to unveil a new cable at the TAVES show so I will be upgrading once again. (don't tell my wife!) This means I will then be sending out the 2 Splash 1-meter cables for auditions if anyone wants a listen in their own system. The good thing is Teo gives you full credit on your GC's if you wish to upgrade later on.

Best Regards
Igor

-- 11 Oct 2017 16:29 --

Sorry, forgot to add the Splash Reference Silver 1-meter are $2,500 USD, but check with Teo for a price as I could be wrong. The new up and coming cables are apparently even better than the Splash.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:49 am 

ZetagUser wrote:
Some days I wonder why I bother to loan my cables out to the curious who don't take it seriously and don't post their opinions on this thread! So far the cables are heading from St. John's to Montreal and the fellow in Kitchener has yet to post his thoughts. So here is an email he sent to me during the loan-out time.......

Hi Igor

We went away for 4 days Wednesday through this past Saturday. The system sounds great now.
I did some serious listening yesterday morning and plan to do some more Tuesday morning. Then I shall pack up the cables and send them back either Tuesday or Wednesday
Lots of rhythm and swing....quite neutral tone (which I'm not sure I like , brass instruments don't sound quite enough like true brass).

Lots of space on those recordings that have space. I can hear the splices in editing

Low bass, mid bass and upper bass are phenomenal

These cables are blues and rock delight

There you have it the good, the bad and the ugly
Best Regards
Igor

as i mentioned there was a lot of rhythm and swing, they kept my toes tapping!!!

Please read with the adage of YMMV and IMHO in the context of my system AND my room
i listened to over 50 albums. (actually digital)

i found the cables didn't do acoustic space anywhere near as well as i like it to be as my current audio note , black cat or nordost cables do.

For Example:
Listening to YoYo Ma's Premiers album of the Rouse Cello Concertos Nos 1 and 2, space was restricted (with the GC) to sounding like a small room in my home. With my current cables i hear a largish venue i hear where the tympani answers the cello, with reverberations defining the acoustic space, tricking my brain and eyes into believing that i am sitting in a venue where the sound emanates well back outside the confines of the back wall in my room. The GC was more of a bring the sound into my room effect.

In terms of defining the lower to upper reaches emotional involvement of treble music i found the GC not to my liking:

For example:
Bill Evans Waltz for Debby album, Larry Bunker (drummer) uses brushes on "My Foolish Heart" on the cymbals AND on the drums. (watch him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Sm6zrzdC8). In my system with my current cables i can "see" him using the brushes , the sound changing with his motions and his changes in pressure, for me its a big part of this song. I didn't get any of that inflection, movement or emotional involvement with the GC cables on this album, or any other album.

ultimately these cables weren't for me because they didn't portray the full harmonic envelope of brass instruments as well as i hear with my current carefully balanced set up of cables

For example:
Listening to Miles Davis on Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud.
Miles on trumpet sounded incomplete and non harmonic. Notes exploded with the GC as they should, BUT his trumpet didn't sound quite right as a trumpet should. I actually had my brother come over to play his trumpet, the sound with the GC bothered me that much. I had him play a Miles piece. Sur L'Autoroute. Of course i could hear the fundamental frequencies of each note but also the overtones that gave his trumpet its signature sound. Then i played the piece via my system with both GC interconnects installed. Miles trumpet sounded ambiguous. I wont quote my brother's language on this one.

POSITIVES:
What i heard from 2 sets of the GC was fast articulate bass ( i swear it sounded like a SECOND woofer was added to my Reference 3a's, not a subwoofer mind you), and quite a bit of meat on the bones as it were .

Example: Smashing Pumpkins album :Gish , song: I Am One: sounded enjoyable in a way i had not heard on my system for quite some time., guitar was pleasant, bass guitar had a full rich and deep resonant sound that i could hear and feel throughout the room in a non boomy manner (didn't know my speakers could do that!). That was instructive. Perhaps i need to reintegrate my dormant subwoofers back into the system and spend some time aligning them to take advantage of their presence.

Violins: this had me scratching my head. Violins consistently sounded richer and with far more GLOW than i am accustomed to. I was definitely hearing more of the violins body reverberation than my current setup. I liked it a lot! It reminded me of two other system pieces i once had: Conrad Johnson Premier 9 DAC and the Cardas Golden Reference IC (not at the same time).
For example:
Beethoven: Complete String Quartets [Disc 8] (2012)
Ludwig Van Beethoven, Tokyo Quartet
The violin with GCs was full, rich and literally glowed a golden light , the presentation was in just front of my speakers, where i normally hear it behind the main plane of my speakers. Again depth was reduced. But the sound was beautiful to listen to, in a somewhat hypnotic way.

Bartók: String Quartets Nos. 5 & 6 (2007)
Arcanto Quartett

Violins were rich and glowing again, but some of the tension that is present in the playing was missing.

As i mentioned it had me scratching my head because i loved the violin soooooo much (frequency range about 196 Hz to 10K Hz), but not trumpet (similar range to violin) .

anyhow there is my take on it.