Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 am 
Premium User

Like a lot of Netflix users, I became a fan early on because of their ability to make good movie recommendations for me.

It seems that since they switched to the "thumbs up or down" rating system, I've started to get movie suggestions which don't actually match my taste. I'm also noticing that Netflix doesn't provide a % recommendation on their newer in house productions, and I'm wondering if they do that deliberately to try and encourage viewers to watch their own content even when it doesn't match their taste.

Has anyone else found their Netflix recommendations to have gone downhill as of late? I'm left wondering if the results I get these days are the result of their new rating system, or just their reduced content library? I actually found myself thinking about cancelling the other night.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am 

Been thinking about cancelling for a few weeks now because it's been so long since we've watched Netflix. Some major film releases never appeared on the service - I ended up borrowing them from the library instead. For free. And some others disappeared awfully fast. I might cancel and resubscribe in a few months. Disney will be pulling their content in a few years I believe - a pretty major development if you think about how many blockbusters they own. We'll probably be subscribing to multiple Netflix type services in a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 am 

I use broadcast TV, Netflix and other streaming services. All serve different purposes.

The main advantage Netflix has (vs grey market streaming) is the UI. It is super simple and reliable.

I don't use Netflix for mainstream movies. I like it for certain shows and comedy more than anything.

I had not noticed a change in the ratings, guess I don't pay much attention!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 am 

Yep, it's very disappointing. One of the biggest things netflix did in the early 2000s was, and I may be wrong on the details of this, offer a significant bounty to an individual or organization who could improve their recommendation algorithm drastically. It was a huge deal, and I knew many people who relied on it for recommendations.

For a few years I used something, whose name has slipped my mind, that I'd plug in my rating for movies and then I could search something very specific like "thrillers in isolated locations" and it would very intelligently present to me a bunch of suggestions.

Nowadays? I mostly check tags and collages on a private film tracker which is heavily currated. Their userbase is for the most part comprised of movie assholes like myself who do appreciate cinema, and can love bad movies. It's been a great fit for me and I've found some excellent films I would otherwise pass on due to low ratings or very poor marketing / 'framing' of a movie by the studio or distributor.
They too have very obscure, and specific curated collections of movies. I just clicked the first one and it was 'female korean directors'