Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:58 am 

I smell another resurgence :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 am 

Yeah, every time I get interested in something it gets popular and the prices go up. The cost of the better players is still pretty high (over $2000 for a HDX9, over $1000 for the LD-S2 etc). At least the discs themselves are now reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am 
Premium User

Can't say that I've gone the LD route - but can say I still have a TOTL Beta tape player - and some nifty videos to go with it. (see pic of a few of the titles).
It ain't great picture quality - but it sure is fun to see some of these musicians when they were young and captured for posterity (in a manner of speaking).

Attachments:
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG [ 376.13 KiB | Viewed 1456 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am 

Still have my player CLD-703 and 20 discs. Star Wars THX were the last releases ever put forth that weren't 'changed forever' by Luca's. Apocalypse Now is a favorite even to this day.

I agree with the sound quality as well - it's just so much more dynamic and full, it's hard to replicate sometimes, even on Blu Ray.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am 

I still have a collection of laserdiscs. DTS discs and good 2 CH LPCM concert track are always fun to spin.

To those looking for Laser Discs I stumbled on a treaure trove the other day.
I came across a spectacular collection in Video Time Koslov mall, Barrie Ontario.
All in these custom plastic LaserDisc cases, great sci-fi titles and James Bond special editions.
I took a look through and they I would rate as in 10/10 pristine condition, probably the nicest collection of LD I have ever seen in one place.
Priced at 3 for $20...Well worth a trip to Barrie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am 

I store my Laser Disks right beside my 8-Tracks.

I have around 20 titles somewhere in storage. If I can find them, they are yours for the asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 am 

I am always looking for classical music chamber recitals. There are some great ones that have yet to be re-released.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:50 pm 

brf wrote:
I store my Laser Disks right beside my 8-Tracks.

I have around 20 titles somewhere in storage. If I can find them, they are yours for the asking.

Gee, that is very generous. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:04 am 

by coincidence, I saw some laserdiscs at Salvation Army last night. They were priced at $9.99 each. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 am 

Yes, they seem to be gaining a bit of popularity again. I don't mind paying lower prices for them, $10 isn't too bad for a good disc. It's the shipping that can get expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 am 

Albert wrote:
Yes, they seem to be gaining a bit of popularity again. I don't mind paying lower prices for them, $10 isn't too bad for a good disc. It's the shipping that can get expensive.

Really? except for the collection value, I just do not see the advantage of buying laserdiscs when you can buy bluray discs or DVDs at dirt cheap price. I can understand vinyl resurgence but I can't see laserdiscs can beat DVDs and blurays in video quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 am 

It's not always about the picture... sometimes the content was never re-released on DVD or BluRay. And it's definitely better then VHS or Beta (Yes, still have both format VCR's as well!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 am 

Albert wrote:

Albert I see laser discs at Good Will , Variety Village and Salvation Army quite often in the record bins----$2 a pop.
Good hunting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am 
Premium User

I still have a copy of Joe Kane's "A Video Standard" , a calibration and setup disc which was very pricey back in the day. If anyone wants to pick this up from me in the Toronto area, please pm. I also have to make sure I can find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:07 pm 

Kenc wrote:
I still have a copy of Joe Kane's "A Video Standard" , a calibration and setup disc which was very pricey back in the day. If anyone wants to pick this up from me in the Toronto area, please pm. I also have to make sure I can find it.

I have been checking thrift stores every couple of weeks in Winnipeg and have only found a couple of discs so far. I have to travel 150 km to Winnipeg so I can't make it in any more often than that ($$).

I would be willing to buy that calibration disc if you can find it. Let me know if you decide to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next