Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm 

Hi everyone,

We launched some changes to the site today that allow us to re-organise the classifieds categories.

We've expanded the categories quite a bit, including fulfilling some highly requested changes in the past:

• Every category shows ads from all its subcategories, so clicking "Amplifiers" will still show both Tube and Solid State amps.
  • Amp and Preamp categories now have Tube and Solid State subcategories. This has been requested many times in the past and is now a reality!
  • We now have an Integrated category
  • The Home Theater category has been expanded to make it more organised. We hope that if you have an HT receiver, amp, or preprocessor to list you can now list it in the correct place.

If you have a classified ad posted already, please edit it and place it into the most specific category possible to help us stay organised!

This is a pretty big change, and we tried to make those changes that make the most sense, but it won't be the last. We will probably continue to tweak the categories as they are needed. As usual, the subcategories feature was made to be as non-intrusive a change as possible, hence why each major category shows all classifieds within itself and subcategories - which is exactly how things operate now without any subcategories. This is still a learning process, so please have patience. In the end we feel this process will yield benefits to both buyers and sellers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 pm 

catherinek wrote:
We now have an Integrated category

Any chance of having tube, solid state and hybrid categories for integrateds?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:37 am 

Great new feature... now I can go directly to my tonearm shopping instead of looking at all the adds that don t pertain to me. Keep up the good work. Cheers. D.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 am 

catherinek wrote:
Hi everyone,

<snip>

This is a pretty big change, and we tried to make those changes that make the most sense, but it won't be the last. We will probably continue to tweak the categories as they are needed. As usual, the subcategories feature was made to be as non-intrusive a change as possible, hence why each major category shows all classifieds within itself and subcategories - which is exactly how things operate now without any subcategories. This is still a learning process, so please have patience. In the end we feel this process will yield benefits to both buyers and sellers.

I like the changes, thank you.

But I continue to wonder why "vintage" has its' own category when all "vintage" pieces can fit under one of the existing and more specific categories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:07 am 

classic recordings wrote:
...But I continue to wonder why "vintage" has its' own category when all "vintage" pieces can fit under one of the existing and more specific categories.

A great question CR, one I'd been asking myself for awhile because I wasn't happy with the "catch-all" category Vintage Audio has become. I'm pretty certain that even the keenest collectors of "golden age hifi" would pass on 90% of the ancient box store receivers, 8 track players and cheap cassette decks which largely populated the category. CAM isn't supposed to be Craigslist or Kijiji where the junk totally outweighs the quality merchandise.

Admin and I discussed this problem and we decided that as it is simply too difficult to define the category in a manner which would reliably filter out all the postings of cheap obsolete gear no one on CAM would be interested in. So Vintage Audio has been axed and replaced with a new unrelated "AV Sources" subcategory in Home Theater which will be the temporary repository for the 200 or so Vintage ads until the moderators get through the process of either re-categorizing or removing the inappropriate ads and informing the ad posters.

Regards,
MTB Vince
CAM moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 am 

MTB Vince wrote:
classic recordings wrote:
...But I continue to wonder why "vintage" has its' own category when all "vintage" pieces can fit under one of the existing and more specific categories.

A great question CR, one I'd been asking myself for awhile because I wasn't happy with the "catch-all" category Vintage Audio has become. I'm pretty certain that even the keenest collectors of "golden age hifi" would pass on 90% of the ancient box store receivers, 8 track players and cheap cassette decks which largely populated the category. CAM isn't supposed to be Craigslist or Kijiji where the junk totally outweighs the quality merchandise.

Admin and I discussed this problem and we decided that as it is simply too difficult to define the category in a manner which would reliably filter out all the postings of cheap obsolete gear no one on CAM would be interested in. So Vintage Audio has been axed and replaced with a new unrelated "AV Sources" subcategory in Home Theater which will be the temporary repository for the 200 or so Vintage ads until the moderators get through the process of either re-categorizing or removing the inappropriate ads and informing the ad posters.

Regards,
MTB Vince
CAM moderator

I love the new layout. Great job! One gripe however. The selection box for 'Show Ads with images only' now appears to work only for the first page of a search. From the second page on, ads without images will also appear. If the box is again selected, it brings you back to the first page.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:30 am 

A little off topic, but could you add shipping options to the format?
- will ship
- will not ship
- will ship only under the following conditions...
Some ads are unclear.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 am 
Site Admin

cryogenie wrote:
The selection box for 'Show Ads with images only' now appears to work only for the first page of a search. From the second page on, ads without images will also appear. If the box is again selected, it brings you back to the first page.

This should be fixed now, thanks.