Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm 

Being a 59 year old, arriving at my nearest Audiotronic store, with no wife, you would think the salesman would assume that I knew something. Especially since I was rattling off model numbers. Inquiring about brand x and being told brand y was much better, lost him a sale and a customer. He sold both brands and at no time did i ask for any advice. Sigh, when will salesmen learn?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:40 pm 

No advice needed? then no dealer needed, buy internet new or used. Sad but true. Salesguys of the kind you would expect are rare to come these days. Often, consumer goods Sales has become a shelter for those who have failed getting a real profession/job. I know, I am in Sales :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm 

It's unfortunate that we have to go online to get the best price. I guess more and more salesmen will be driving those delivery trucks. My delivery man always has a smile and never says anything about the name on the box. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:09 pm 

It's difficult to support our local retailers these days. The business model is changing, and retailers have to learn that they must provide value added service along with competitive prices to survive. Retailers should be a source of knowledge, and while they are biased to the brands they sell, should at minimum be skilled at selling. I guess as with most other things, 20% know what they are doing, the rest are hacks.

Thinking about the various audio shops around Toronto, I think the 20/80 rule is about right. It's gotten to the point where I actually dislike visiting most audio retailers- bad service, bad attitude, unrealistic margins, my list of complaints go on and on.

Yes, there are a couple of good ones - and they get my business.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:17 pm 

lucas wrote:
Being a 59 year old, arriving at my nearest Audiotronic store, with no wife, you would think the salesman would assume that I knew something. Especially since I was rattling off model numbers. Inquiring about brand x and being told brand y was much better, lost him a sale and a customer. He sold both brands and at no time did i ask for any advice. Sigh, when will salesmen learn?

Thats an unwritten rule with me, if the salesman runs down one product to sell another........... log in , click, pay...... wait for the smiling delivery guy.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

This has been around for awhile.. but somehow.. it seems relevant here.. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCBe7-6rw4M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 pm 

lots of customers not worth having as well...........two sides to every story

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 pm 

Unfortunately there are sales people in every type of retail outlet who don't listen to what their customers are saying. They have been pre-programmed with a spiele ( spell check..lol) . My best customers are those who I have directed to someone who can help them when I can't or have suggested alternatives too. sometimes at a lower price .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm 

Alternatives at a lower or sale price, nothing wrong with that! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm 

Quote:
lots of customers not worth having as well...........two sides to every story

Luckily for me the % of " bad customers " has been less than .50%over 40 years of retail (F/T or P/T ).

I have actually become friends of customers outside my workplace. If you look at my previous listings for Kenwood system, the owner was a gentleman I met through work ( not audio).

I must admit I feel sorry for people who have invested $ in a retail business and see their staff sitting on counters, music blaring on their mobile devices.

I guess my answer to original question is " the good ones learn fast, the others never" try to find the good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

snagglepuss wrote:
Quote:

I guess my answer to original question is " the good ones learn fast, the others never" try to find the good ones.

Herein lies the truth with respect to most employees, almost regardless of occupation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:25 pm 

If you don't need advice, then be firm. Tell the salesmen what exactly you want and nothing else. I do that when I go to futureshop. I tell them "get me that model for that price. I don't want any question or extra warranty". It works every time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 am 

I hate to break it to you but your resume in the OP is a liability not credentials! Your impression of yourself is worthless in any transaction, its what the other person thinks.

Sales people today have to be handled different than in days past. The younger generation is not impressed with your cash, car or watch. Your just an old fart that doesn't know anything to them. Your their parents, a nuisance or worse. If you don't connect with them first their glad to see you hit the bricks.

Marc mc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Hi all. I sell audio and run my own shop by appointment here in Nova Scotia. If I have a customer looking at brand X that I carry but I have a new product that I believe to offer better value and sound I would pass that on. I would not force the issue but point out its features.
Some people like a system that is one brand and enjoy the synergy of their system; be it a look , a sound , ease of use with or without remote etc.
I have been selling audio since I worked at one of our local high shops when I was in high school in the mid 80's and started my own back in 94. After this time you know when to back off a product as the customer is always right since he is the one that worked hard for his money .
There are other times when the customer should listen to what the salesman is saying as he may actually have a good idea of what he is talking about. I have had more than call to me saying that the new product they picked elsewhere is not doing what they hoped for and that perhaps they should have listened to what the salesman was saying , but that does come with trust.
The same trust that you get reading reviews. I have read some from some people / publications and could never quite hear the "great sound " they were referring to . I find that if you look at their associated equipment and see products that you also like and or believe in then you have a good start.
All in all sales is a 2 way street and with a proper attitude comes a respect for both parties and I am still learning. Happy listening. - - Jody - aka - Floyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:33 am 

marc mc wrote:
I hate to break it to you but your resume in the OP is a liability not credentials! Your impression of yourself is worthless in any transaction, its what the other person thinks.

Sales people today have to be handled different than in days past. The younger generation is not impressed with your cash, car or watch. Your just an old fart that doesn't know anything to them. Your their parents, a nuisance or worse. If you don't connect with them first their glad to see you hit the bricks.

Marc mc

Do you mean connect as in mental of financially?