Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:03 am 

Hello.

I am a new member from the United States.

I want warn everyone of a scammer and thief.

Alain Courteau (formely designer and owner) Of Revelation Audio, Of Mascouche, Quebec.

Alain Courteau formely designed and built speakers for Odyssey Audio.

But Klaus severed all connections and working relationships with him, several years. I wish I had known that, three years ago.

I paid Alain Courteau $1,500 USD (in the form of an United States Postal Service International money order), three years ago; to build me a pair of Lyra 2 floorstanding loudspeakers. I have the money order stubs and proof he cashed them in.

As of today, I have not received a pair of Lyra 2 and I have not received a full refund. I have spent the better part of the last three years trying patiently to work with Alain, as he repeatidly promised me he would deliver the product. He never delivered anything and never refunded my money. He ceased responding to my phone calls and e-mails, in February of 2009.

I was foolish to be patient with him and wait this long. I wanted to be patient and give him a chance to make good on this, because he worked for Klaus of Odyssey Audio. As it turns out, I should have discussed this with Klaus a long time ago.

Over the last 10 months, I have been attempting to go through the legal process and I am searching for an attorney to handle this case. Unfortunately, it appears this will cost me more money in attorney fees than the amount Alain Courteau owes to me. With no guarantee the money will ever be recovered/reimbursed from Alain Courteau.

I was fool to trust this man, Alain Courteau.

I'm here to warn everyone else.

Last edited by TMart99 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 am 

So what does Revelation Audio have to say about this? Their phone number is 514-384-2215. Three years is a long time to wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:10 am 

bokunk wrote:
So what does Revelation Audio have to say about this? Their phone number is 514-384-2215. Three years is a long time to wait.

That is not Alain's number. Alain has a different number.

The number you provided is actually a number for Studio 1006. A dealer in Montreal. I called that number soon after starting this thread and spoke with Pierre.

Pierre told me Alain Courteau sold Revelation Audio some time in October or November of 2008. That, Alain is no longer the owner of Revelation Audio and has no afilliation to Revelation Audio.

This is the first I have heard of this.

Pierre took my information (name and phone number) and said he would try and help me, if he could.

In December of 2008 Alain was once again stalling me, by telling me he was having problems and delays in getting the drivers for the Lyra 2. So once again I tried to be patient. I contacted him by e-mail and by phone, several times between December 2008 and late January 2009. In February of 2009, Alain refused to respond to my e-mails and refused to answer the phone or return my calls. I have left literally dozens of messages on his answering machine. No response since January of 2009.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:28 am 

I just called Pierre back at Studio 1006, because I wanted to know who owns Revelation Audio, now.

Well, Pierre of Studio 1006 owns Revelation Audio. He bought it from Alain. Pierre has offered to help and try to contact Alain and attempt to encourage Alain to settle this matter with me. So we'll see where this leads.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:42 am 

I think this is case where he struggilng to run a business on his own and is low on capital.Unfortunatly he is not a honest person because of it.He needs to stop and take a good long look in the mirror.That is not a legacy i'd want to leave as a person. I personally try to deal with people in person,maybe that was the mistake here.Good luck,hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 am 

I hope this problem gets resolved fast. Revelation Audio better work hard to set things right or this Alain character will take them down with his poor reputation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 am 

armypety wrote:
I think this is case where he strugglinng to run a business on his own and is low on capital.Unfortunatly he is not a honest person because of it.He needs to stop and take a good long look in the mirror.That is not a legacy i'd want to leave as a person. I personally try to deal with people in person,maybe that was the mistake here.Good luck,hope it works out for you.

Yes, it is always better to deal with people in person.

I had purchased a pair of Odyssey Audio Nightingale speakers from Klaus, of Odyssey Audio. That was back in 2004. The Nightingale and Lyra 2 are essentially the same speakers. I originally contacted Alain to buy another pair, because Klaus no longer carried the Nightingale. I knew that from his audio forum on Audio Circle. But I didn't know he had severed all tied with Alain. I thought Alain was an honest and honarable designer and builder in the Audio world. I was wrong.

And I was even more foolish to be patient for so long. I trying to be respectful to Klaus, because I thought he and Alain were still on good terms. I was wrong about that, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 am 

armypety wrote:
I think this is case where he struggilng to run a business on his own and is low on capital..

Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the situation with Alain Courteau.

I now have had two different people tell me he spend his money foolishly. Apparently, as soon as he gets some money, he goes on extended holiday/vacation and blows all his money. My experience with Alain over the last three years supports that. He would disappear for weeks....sometimes well over a month and then finally respond; claiming to have been on Holiday/vacation. I always found it strange that he took so many Holidays/vacation. As it turns out, he was doing exactly that.

In several e-mails over the 10 months, I repeatidly told him..." If you can afford to take so many Holidays, then, you can afford to reimburse my $1,500 USD or send me my speakers. " He never responded.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 am 

8) Pierre Sweeney is the best man to help you out on this matter. Pierre is a well known dealer in Montreal for the last three decades and is an outmost honest person.

My belief is he bought the company name and not the assets which would have included the debt you claim. Pierre is dealer in the true sense of the word and offers many brand names, not only Revelation speakers. I would not see his interest in buying a speaker manufacturer as a dealer. Conflict of interest.

If Alain Courteau filed bankrupcy and went belly up with his company, there is no legal actions you can take that will assure a reimbursement. It is a typical occurrence when "one man show" businesses disappear because of lack of capital. In this particular case, too much money invested from the start in publicity and exposure with no reserve capital to assure slow production before the clientele starts rushing in. Not enough dealer base.

The interesting question though is how you were drawn to Revelation speakers down there in Carolina. The speakers were of a nice slim design, very attractice. But in this crazy audio world with small manufacturers appearing here and there with "garage" type of operations, how come you could not find something suitable locally. I'm not blaming you. But your case is quite instructive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 am 

amarquis wrote:
The interesting question though is how you were drawn to Revelation speakers down there in Carolina. The speakers were of a nice slim design, very attractice. But in this crazy audio world with small manufacturers appearing here and there with "garage" type of operations, how come you could not find something suitable locally. I'm not blaming you. But your case is quite instructive.

I believe I addressed that, in one of my posts.

I had purchased a pair of Odyssey Audio Nightingale speakers from Klaus, of Odyssey Audio. That was back in 2004. The Nightingale and Lyra 2 are essentially the same speakers. I originally contacted Alain to buy another pair, because Klaus no longer carried the Nightingale. I knew that from his audio forum on Audio Circle. But I didn't know he had severed all ties with Alain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:11 am 

And for the record.

Yes, I fully realize that I was foolish to be so patient, for so long. I fully realize that I went against every gut instinct I had. I made an enormous mistake and believe me, it is a lesson learned.

I don't believe it was a mistake to want the Lyra 2. I already owned the Nightingale speakers and really liked them. Hence the reason I wanted another pair.

it was a mistake to not do more indepth research on Alain Courteau.

I should have contacted Klaus and asked why he had broken ties with Alain. But it never occured to me Alain was such a disingenuous and fraudulent individual. I trusted him because of his afilliation with Odyssey Audio.

I take full responsibility for my mistakes in this transaction/purchase.

But none of this justifies and pardons Alain Courteau from his theft of my money and his dishonesty.

Another lesson learned in life.

Last edited by TMart99 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:46 am 

TMart99 wrote:
amarquis wrote:

I believe I addressed that, in one of my posts.

I had purchased a pair of Odyssey Audio Nightingale speakers from Klaus, of Odyssey Audio. That was back in 2004. The Nightingale and Lyra 2 are essentially the same speakers. I originally contacted Alain to buy another pair, because Klaus no longer carried the Nightingale. I knew that from his audio forum on Audio Circle. But I didn't know he had severed all ties with Alain.

8) I'm a banker. Have been for the last 30 yrs. Apart from the miserable scum ones, most people filing bankrupcy see it as a dent to their honor and self respect. When creditors are up your throat, no matter how hard you try to live up to everybody's expectancies including your own, you have no choice to let go. That is when you start not replying to calls or letters, lacking the courage to say to somebody "I've lost everything including your money". You buy for time, expecting for a miracle, hoping for somebody to bail you out. So you don't answer.

I'm not saying Alain Courteau is honest or not. I don't know the whole case here. But I've seen so many, the same pattern perfectly fits here. I'm just saying what happens when people file bankrupcy, which is perfectly covered by laws in this country. Laws made to give everybody a chance to start contributing again to society.

So my question remains the same. You had "some" signs from Odyssey Audio that something was out of the ordinary. My profession provided me with that kind of sense, which is not accessible to everyone, I confess. You admit having the same preoccupations. But you could not refrain from getting the same speakers through Alain, probably unaware of the slippery situation. And too far away, to see and check with your own eyes where your money was going, which I also understand as an audio nut myself. Can you tell us what are the facts that ascertain he is truely dishonest or misleading. But then again, isn't it the concern of all very last customers of people going belly up ?

My point is what more do you want to achieve by seeking vengeance on Alain after all this time. If you consider fair to throw back publicly the situation at his face, then maybe it should be asked if we should pursue everybody for their misgivings or mistakes causing their bankrupcy. Why not post "WANTED" everywhere on the net for all bankrupcees ?! On your side of the border, that should amount to about 2 million households who lost their home recently. Maybe a few parents or friends of yours ! All cheaters and disloyal persons !!?? I don't think so !

Greetings !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 am 

Last edited by Musicware4u on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:03 am 

Here is the link to the Québec Government Web site pertaining to Small Claims Court and everything you need to know about how and who to sue, even if you are not physically available to appear before the court. The current maximum is $7,000.

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/p ... -a.htm#sue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 am 

Last edited by Musicware4u on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next