Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:09 am 

I know what it sounds like when you clip an amp on regular mid/high speakers.. but what does it sound like when you clip a sub amp? how do you hear distortion in a sub? I've always wondered about this and have worried about blowing subs... usually I don't drive my car subs anywhere near the max but i'd like to see how loud I can take 'em... but can't tell when i'm overdoing it.. Mind you... My subs don't handle as much as my amp can put out, so I'll likely over drive it first, and i know what that sounds like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:00 am 

I've heard clipping, it was when I had a pair of alpine car subs wired together for a total impedance of 1 ohm (the sales guy made me try it out, and while a small amp could drive big subs, if you turned it up, they clipped out - as could be easily predicted)
It's hard to describe the sound, but imagine if you where driving it hard and you put an imobile sheet of aluminum or steel in its path, so that it's hitting at each end of the excursion. no bass, just the sound like it's hitting metal at 60 or 70 Hz. pretty scary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:04 am 

When you start hearing a slapping clicking sound, that is your tinsel leads starting to hit the cone or frame. When you hear a slap and crack that is you voice coil going to mechanicl excursion limits. When you don't hear anything any more you went to far. In other words you will hear the sub complaining before you blow it up. :lol: I have a few in that condition. :oops:

Amplifier clipping can do in subs even faster, so make sure to try and match the power out to driver. A 100 wRMS amp clipping will destroy drivers rated much higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:07 am 

Taz13 wrote:
I have a few in that condition. :oops:

:lol: why am I not surprised.. thanks guys for the info! very helpful.

I'm running a 600watt rms amp and a 500watt rms DVC sub at the mo..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm 

Typically its better to over power then under power, the speaker isnt always using the full power of the amp but its good to have it there when it wants it. Also you will smell it when you start to upset the sub