Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm 

Yes, a properly working AU-717 can easily blow your socks off ! I have this same set up (AU-717 & TU-717 ) and they are a very nice combination to have. Great eye candy sitting there in the rack next to the matching SC-3330 cassette deck. I first bought my AU-717 back in 1978 and have kept it ever since...and I am not planning on selling it or any of these pieces. You won't be sorry you bought your set. They just have " That Sound " I ran this amp at 2 o'clock for an extended period of time in the past without any problems...but the speakers you are running can make a difference on where you leave your volume set. Usually when I listen to music the dial is set at 9 or 10 o'clock or less in a fair size room, so it has more reserve power than you would think. Enjoy the Music !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm 

Larry777 wrote:
Yes, a properly working AU-717 can easily blow your socks off ! I have this same set up (AU-717 & TU-717 ) and they are a very nice combination to have. They are great eye candy sitting there in the rack next to the matching SC-3330 cassette deck. I first bought my AU-717 back in 1978 and have kept it ever since...and not planning on selling it or any of these pieces. You won't be sorry you bought your set. They just have " That Sound "

Larry,
The USAudioMart member that I bought my combo from was also the original owner. He only sold it because of his recent downsizing of residences. He had both the AU and the TU fully restored in March 2017. I am convinced this is why my system is as powerful as it is today. If you have read about the "corrosive glue" problems with the Sansui AU-717, you would be wise to have it checked out, if you haven't already done so.

Now I am blessed with the presence of 2 (two) Sansui TU-717 tuners. I had given up hope of finding a set from one owner and my TU-717 has been sitting lonely in storage for over 10 years. He needs some company, wouldn't you say?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm 

I did hear about that corrosive glue and had a look inside my AU-717 not long ago. The glue is still the right color and I don't see any damage so far, but I was thinking about getting the Lee Stereo restoration done anyway, to prevent any future problems. They have a good write up on audio karma in the Sansui section about this restoration if you are interested in reading the details. He also had all the pictures but something happened recently at Audio Karma where these pictures no longer show unless you pay some kind of a fee. But the write up is still great.

But yes, that other TU-717 needs a new partner for sure. The pair make a great matching set and they will likely become more rare in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:38 pm 

Congratulations JP! Wow Audio Nirvana is alive in your neck of the woods.Enjoy the gear,will the Tannoys arrive next week?

Cheers

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm 

AJCall wrote:
Congratulations JP! Wow Audio Nirvana is alive in your neck of the woods.Enjoy the gear,will the Tannoys arrive next week? Cheers,Alan

Alan I wish they would. Bear in mind that the Tannoys are coming from the interior of BC. It's been a logistics challenge, but I have sorted out the shipping company etc. My seller lives 400 km from the shipping agent, so....he can't get there until next week. Realistically, they should be here in the GTA sometime during the week of 8 October. Not to worry, CAM members here will read my impressions of those legendary British monitors.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:16 am 

Attachment:
Sansui_combo_21092017.jpg
Sansui_combo_21092017.jpg [ 67.57 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Update as dawn breaks over Madcap's audio asylum. The system has been on and playing since 12:30 on Thursday 21/09/2017. I was advised to let it run for this long or longer by my seller. He had only put 10 hours on the new caps and transistors since the rebuild. It hasn't missed a beat playing JazzFM and half a dozen CDs as well.

Without all the details, my girlfriend is a Russian lady from Siberia. When I showed her this photo, her only comment was: "Understand Jean-Paul. It's BIG radio". I split a gut and had tears streaming down my cheeks. Natalia's simple 3 words reduced all that's been written here by so many, down to its purest and simplest form. Think about it; how else would you explain this Sansui system to a 3 year old child?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:26 am 

Attachment:
Photo 013.jpg
Photo 013.jpg [ 108.28 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
It has been exactly seven days since its arrival. During that time, I have played CDs, cassette tapes and JazzFM through my Ohm Walsh 4, Celestion Ditton 44, Ditton 15XR and Ditton 15. A serious attempt to mate the Sansui with the best all-round speaker that I own. At this juncture, the mighty Celestion Ditton 44 is the victor.
The CD player is a Pioneer PD-5010 purchased locally (CAM naturally) this past week. Superb unit from the mid-1980s

NOW, my Tannoy Gold 12" Monitors are en route from BC. They are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday 4 October 2017
That will be an audition to rival anything I have done to date. Impressions will be posted.

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend.
Madcap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 am 

just recently sold my au/tu517 combo ... can't keep it all.

my advice , amp on tuner.... let it breathe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
my advice , amp on tuner.... let it breathe.

Excellent advice that I heeded immediately. Heavy little integrated that's for sure.
I was under the mistaken impression that the weight of the amp would be possibly harmful to the tuner. That's clearly not the case. Problem: the Pioneer CD player blocks most of the air vents if it sits on top of the AU-717 :shock: :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 am 

Buy yourself some of those cheap $2 isolation blocks you can get at HVAC stores and put under the CD player.
Less vibration in the transport and a little bit of room for the Sui to breathe.

Attachments:
1506712636021507306875.jpg
1506712636021507306875.jpg [ 213.35 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 am 

Madcap wrote:
The Universe is truly shining down on Madcap today. My Sansui AU-717 and TU-717 arrived via FedEx at exactly 12:15 today (21/09/2017) from the Boston area. My seller in MA is a wizard. The two boxes were triple walled, with enough bubble bags and other padding to make a spare bed!

The bottom line: I have been listening to JazzFM 91.1 for well over 2 hours now, sipping gleefully on my fave beer: Innis & Gunn. The Celestion Ditton 44 were the first to be driven by the AU-717. Blew me over! Never has any Ditton 44 that I have owned (8 pairs in 10 years) ever sounded so smooth, musical and completely fluid in reproducing the highs down to the lows that FM transmissions can deliver. Limited as FM stations are, they are still respectable in a background music scenario.

The moment of truth: I connected my Ohm Walsh 4 next. Holy "Ess Aitch Eye Tee" This time I poured mysellf a stiff shot of Jura Superstition Single Malt Scotch and just marvelled at the sound emanating from those big Ohm towers. I haven't ventured past the 12 O'clock point on the Volume dial yet and won't need have to. This Sansui AU-717 is one sleeper of an amplifier, underrated vis-a-vis its power output. Seventh heaven is where you'll find Madcap for the next 10 hours and probably more as friends dribble in to drink my beer. Hands off my Single Malt guys!

.....congrats Madcap on the AU-717 & the Jura........ an SR-717 with the AU can also create a sense of divinity.
Attachment:
aaasansui.jpg
aaasansui.jpg [ 431.64 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]