Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

stereo review, reviews(john attckinson I think) said that in balance the bass was a bit better , but in unbalance the mid is more 3d. also previous owner said it sounded better (in is opinion) in balance mode ?
was just wondering. so far I am used to the sound of my ksa 200. maybe after a while I will get used to it. for sure the mids are very sweet and imaging is krazy. something note seen very often with big amp like this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 pm 

The Krell is a bridged balanced amp so requires no additional circuitry if using XLR or RCA inputs.
Probably not even a switch on the back to select between the both.
Just feed it with what you got.KISS

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 pm 

???
Rca balanced?
I may need a pic of that one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm 

Similar topology to Bryston mono amps.One leg just becomes 0V(audio gnd).

Gary

Attachments:
bryston_7b_sst_pwr_sch.pdf_1.png
bryston_7b_sst_pwr_sch.pdf_1.png [ 46.14 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]
5B 8B-Overall-Schematic(DE96)_cover.jpg
5B 8B-Overall-Schematic(DE96)_cover.jpg [ 175.42 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:06 pm 

Would you call that balanced?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:

Those inputs are differential amps,so yes.You can feed them balanced or unbalanced.
No active circuitry required.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm 

There appears to be a "balanced/unbalanced" switch in the circuit?
Either way rca to xlr adapters have no beneficial merit imo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
There appears to be a "balanced/unbalanced" switch in the circuit?
Either way rca to xlr adapters have no beneficial merit imo.

Yes Binky,just a switch.Just makes one leg 0V(audio gnd) for unbalanced signal.
And yes why would zon use an XLR adapter.Feeding his unbalanced signal in the Krell adapts inside.
He's thinking two separate active circuits for the XLR and RCA inputs the XLR being the magic one.
He should really be feeding that beast a balanced signal though.

Good quiz

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 pm 

Yup...too many possible negative and potentially destructive concerns with those adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm 

i listen to a mezzo bluray disc tonight. it as 8 different jazz like fusion band on 2 disc . it was recorded in some new York s bars. I guess it was trumpet and sax all night long. I listen to that bluray a few time. but it never sounded that good.sax and trumpet where there, present in my living room. quite a impressive rendez vous. when I first bought those Wilson. I did not liked the mid, after a few tweeking they sounded better. but tonight they showed me what they could do with all the glory they deserve. I like it>>>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm 

zon001 wrote:
I have a krell ksa200 and just purchoused a fpb600 it sound good but I feel my ksa have a little more bass.i was told that using balance input will give better bass response in the case of the fpb
question my processor lexicon mc 12 have unbalance output only. if I convert my cable to xlr at the amp end and keep rca at the pre amp will I get the balanced benefit, and get better bass response. or it won t change the sound?

Stick with single-ended; changing to balanced will change the sound; more often a 'leaner' bass, not fuller.

Interconnect cable choice is also very important -as would a power cord experimentation/change.

If you have a thicker 'throw-in' cable (i.e. factory provided) look for any (lying sound) and experiment/evaluate using/comparing "thicker/lower gauge (#12 AWG vs. thinner insulation #14/#16.)

From there, look for an after-market PC if desired -the Shunyata 'Venom' power cord (Reg. -not HC) may pleasantly surprise you.

pj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm 

sasquatch wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

Those inputs are differential amps,so yes.You can feed them balanced or unbalanced.

Gary

Hi Gary: Using a differential amp (input) and phase-splitter (on output) does not make the circuit an true, full-balanced design; where there is essentially two-circuits per phase of channel -i.e 4- 'circuits' in a stereo design.

In which case, a user is (in my opinion) much better to consider single-ended operation.

Similarly, although Classe, PASS (Labs)?, ML, and several other manufacturer's implement full-differential (i.e Balanced) operation, my experience (and others)has consistently shown SE connection to be the more musical.

peter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 am 

allhifi wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

Gary

Hi Gary: Using a differential amp (input) and phase-splitter (on output) does not make the circuit an true, full-balanced design; where there is essentially two-circuits per phase of channel -i.e 4- 'circuits' in a stereo design.

In which case, a user is (in my opinion) much better to consider single-ended operation.

Similarly, although Classe, PASS (Labs)?, ML, and several other manufacturer's implement full-differential (i.e Balanced) operation, my experience (and others)has consistently shown SE connection to be the more musical.

peter

My experience (and others) has consistently shown balanced connections to be more musical. Just thought I'd counter your unsubstantiated and highly biased opinion with my own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 am 

allhifi wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

Gary

peter

Hi peter,

Me and Binky were just talking about the inputs in regard to a unbalanced vs balanced signal.Thanks for the schooling anyway.
Balanced audio has one purpose...common mode noise.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:17 am 

Balanced input is less noisy. I use an XLR to RCA jack cable interconnect between amp (Bryston 3B NPB) and a Harman Kardon A402 integrated amp -pre out to the Bryston. Noise level is very low or inaudible and it's a great combo. I got the cables at Canada Computer I think. I porb should have bought that Bryson .5B preamp that came along recently on CAM- sold within a week. I wonder how much of an improvement that would be compared to my HK A402 ?