Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:54 am 

speedy1 wrote:
There are heavy duty breakers that are thicker in width for the same amperage. Those are the ones you want to install in your panel. Different breakers...some are better than others, so you may want to run one heavier line off the main panel feed to create a subpanel (IE-30 amps/60 amps) then run from there to pre, dac, amps, etc. The power from the main panel buss bars to the heavy line feeding the subpanel will allow the draw this amp is capable of but is it really drawing that many amps? Is it all class A? What are you driving?

Minimum-20 amp heavy duty breakers, heavy duty/hospital grade standard receptacles, good grounding system that works with the grounding system in the rest of your gear and use anti-arcing creme at every wire to wire and wire to nut/bolt/washer connection. Work with an electrician who understands electronics/current feeding medical devices. If you want to save money let them advise you and let them do the final hookups.

speedy1,

Any examples of those 20A heavy duty breakers.Can't seem to find anything on the intergoogle.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am 

hey ZON001 - just keep us updated as to your progress - curious how things work out for you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am 

so far I did try out 20 amp . circuit. and so far so good. no problem. but I only drive 8 ohm speaker for now. but I am sure if I try a 4 or 2 ohm load. and crank it up . might not be the same . because at 2 ohm this amp can deliver 2400 watt per channel. + it s 430 watt idle power consumption. thus a 6000 watt maximum power consumption.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm 

What speakers are you using?

An 8 ohm speaker can dip down to 2 ohms, thus the "maximum" of 6000 watts, normally briefly...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:38 pm 

Wilson witt 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:58 pm 

Sasquatch,
The Square D series QO are the best made residential panel boxes and circuit breakers.
There are different breakers made that dont fit just ANY panel. You have to make sure the breaker fits YOUR panel. If a person had a crummy panel box then I would run a sub-panel.
QO stands for quick off.

Every one sells these type of breakers. Home Depot/Lowes you name it. They are generally wider. If I said the thin is normal and the thick is heavy duty then if you were to take apart a thin breaker and a thick breaker the thicker one has more metal in it. Just better made similar to regular receptacles and the hospital grade type that really clamp down on the plug and you have to work to remove that plug. A normal plug is pretty loose from the beginning and what a lot of people dont realize is microarcing occurs.

Normal plug is a joke-some receptacles have like thin teeth that hold the wire, others use a screw head and the best ones use a large clamp system-lots of footprint to transfer the energy equals minimum microarcing and least heat and best conductivity. You should hear the noise microarcing causes on a 600 volt panel. It causes all sorts of problems.

A lot of people also dont realize breakers tend to become more sensitive as they get older and may trip with less load than when new. Also loose connections are no good (micro-arcing) and corrosion is no good (damp/wet garage/basement)thats why I recommend anti arcing creme everywhere. Also loose connections. Thats why if you live on a busy street the vibrations can and do loosen everything including screws tightening the wires. Plus in a normal quiet home the wires may need to be retightened because wire is round and may have slightly distorted through the tightening process.

That is to say no one should be sticking screwdrivers in their panel boxes tightening everything up. What everyone should do is when they call an electrician, the electrician should check everything when they are there including making sure all the load is balanced on each leg of the panel-ask your electrician.

Remember the electricity in your body is not as strong as the electricity in electric wiring and household wiring can cause a person serious problems if they get shocked.

Last edited by speedy1 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 pm 

Thanks

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:50 am 

When I got my 402e I sent a note to Krell about the 6000W max consumption spec and the answer I got was basically that it could spike to that high for very, very short durations, but the vast majority of the time the amp will only draw something less than 20A, even at loud volumes. The Power output in watts is not necessarily the same as the input power consumption.

If you consider the 20A input @ 120V, the maximum it could possibly draw for anything longer than sub-second spikes is 20A X 120V = 2400 watts.