Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 pm 

hi guys . just about to installe a new dedicated circuit breaker for my krell fpb 600. krell says to use a 20 amp breaker. but they also says that it consume a max of 6000 watt. so I tried it with a 15 amp dedicated only for the amp. for a 8 ohm load.
when cold at about 200 watt the 15 amp breaker jump.
when hot it can get to about 300 watt before triping. I will need avery watt I can get it to give me.
and later if changing for 4 or 2 ohm speaker , will need more juice. since it can give me 1200 watt at 4 ohm.
so if now tripping at 300 watt I wonder if I should go with 30 amp breaker . I have used a 10 / 2 wire.
so what should I used.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 pm 

I'd start by following Krell's recommendation of a 20A breaker.

As far as drawing 6 kilowatts goes—if that's the potential of the FPB600—that would require, I think, 40A, i.e., 20A/channel.

For 30A and up, you need special locking connectors for the wall outlet. Probably the same as for an electric stove.

I'd also have a certified electrician do the work, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm 

just read a review of the fpb 600 from stereo review. and I think he mention he as 3 x 60 amp outlet to do is test.
I will not need that much . but I think a 25 or 30 amp outlet should be strong enough.
I just don t want to invest in a 20 amp set up . specialy if paying a electrician to do it. and find out that it is not enough and would have to re do it.
thank you for the offer alladione, but I live quite far from you. in Hawkesbury . between Ottawa and montreal.
if I instale a 30 amp line and the amp only use less , let say 23 amp. will it matter much . and also the amp use a 30 amp inlet socket I read, so it should be safe to operate? also being told by electrician. that you should run a circuit only to 80 % of it s capability. I also read the amp as a circuit breaker behind . so it should protect it from damage, I think ???
what do you think ?

Last edited by zon001 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

You know your amp is bad-ass when...
8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:01 am 

The owners manual says 6000 watts max power consumption,

P=ExI
6000w=120v x I
I=50a

80%(X)=50a
X=62.5a

Looks like you need a 60a circuit, and those big hubbell connectors probably cost $250 each!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:08 am 

Remember that you want the panel breaker to trip before potential damage to the Krell.
Should the amp go south do you want 30+ amps running around before the main breaker kicks in.
No idea what internal fuses are rated inside the Krell though.Maybe stick with what Krell recommends.

Gary

Also, review home insurance policy.

Last edited by sasquatch on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 am 

Or you could hardware it straight to a 10 kilowatt generator :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 am 

the krell have no internal fuses. just a ?A breaker behind. I juste swape in a spare 20 amp breaker, so will try today to see how it goes. behind the amp , only 115 volt / 60 hz. mention . nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 am 

Seems like a pain in the butt. I don't understand why they didn't monoblock that thing or at least use two separate power cords to run two dedicated breakers. Seems like it would have been easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am 

From the top of page 7 in the manual.
http://www.maldesigns.ca/pdf/Krell%20FBP%20600.pdf

AC Power Considerations
For best performance, a dedicated AC power line rated at a minimum of fifteen
amps is recommend for each amplifier. For maximum power output, the Full
Power Balanced 300 and 600 amplifiers Should be operated from a dedicated
twenty amp AC power line. The Full Power Balanced amplifiers should only be
operated with the power cord supplied. Please consult KRELL or your dealer
before using any devices designed to alter or stabilize the AC power for the Full
Power Balanced amplifiers.

If a 20 Amp dedicated circuit is not sufficient, I would be getting the amp serviced...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:02 am 

Zon,

Circuit breakers are to protect the limits of household wiring not the load.Krell has IEC 320 20amp AC power cord so that's the limit.
Anything higher will overheat that AC power cord.
I don't know code but 10/2 romex on a 20amp breaker at least will run cool in your walls.

Gary

Also, I would be surprised if a licensed certified scrupulous electrician would even install a larger circuit breaker based on the facts provided.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:04 am 

well so far so good. the 20 amp breaker seems to hold. I can drive at about 500 watt a side with no issue.
but I am sure if I would go with a 4 ohm load or lower . at very high power. it would need more. I just can t figure out only 5 amp more did the trick. idle, it consume 430 watt. and at about 300 watt, the 15 amp breaker was triping. so for now I will keep it like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm 

There are heavy duty breakers that are thicker in width for the same amperage. Those are the ones you want to install in your panel. Different breakers...some are better than others, so you may want to run one heavier line off the main panel feed to create a subpanel (IE-30 amps/60 amps) then run from there to pre, dac, amps, etc. The power from the main panel buss bars to the heavy line feeding the subpanel will allow the draw this amp is capable of but is it really drawing that many amps? Is it all class A? What are you driving?

Minimum-20 amp heavy duty breakers, heavy duty/hospital grade standard receptacles, good grounding system that works with the grounding system in the rest of your gear and use anti-arcing creme at every wire to wire and wire to nut/bolt/washer connection. Work with an electrician who understands electronics/current feeding medical devices. If you want to save money let them advise you and let them do the final hookups.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:36 pm 

zon001 wrote:
just read a review of the fpb 600 from stereo review. and I think he mention he as 3 x 60 amp outlet to do is test.
I will not need that much . but I think a 25 or 30 amp outlet should be strong enough.
I just don t want to invest in a 20 amp set up . specialy if paying a electrician to do it. and find out that it is not enough and would have to re do it.
thank you for the offer alladione, but I live quite far from you. in Hawkesbury . between Ottawa and montreal.
if I instale a 30 amp line and the amp only use less , let say 23 amp. will it matter much . and also the amp use a 30 amp inlet socket I read, so it should be safe to operate? also being told by electrician. that you should run a circuit only to 80 % of it s capability. I also read the amp as a circuit breaker behind . so it should protect it from damage, I think ???
what do you think ?

From Krell FPB Mnaual...

AC Power Considerations:
For best performance a dedicated AC power line rated at a minimum of fifteen
amps is recommended for each amplifier. For maximum power output, the Full
Power Balanced 300 and 600 amplifiers Should be operated from a dedicated
twenty amp AC power line. The Full Power Balanced amplifiers should only be
operated with the power cord supplied. Please consult KRELL.or your dealer
before using any devices designed to alter or stabilize the AC power for the Full
Power Balanced amplifiers.

http://krellonline.com/assets/support/FPB_ORIGINAL_SERIES_MANUAL_V982.pdf

BTW, I have the newer Krell Evolution 402 power amp and it's being hooked up to the dedicated 20A power line with no issues whatsoever,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:26 am 

Same here - 402e on a dedicated 20A breakers works just fine.