Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Watercool amplifier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
If kilowatt class A power is what you crave…..

Size of a small car weighing in a measly 1500kg, capable of producing 120kw class A into 8hms with 0.1 ohm stability. Can be custom ordered with an onboard 8 core processor sporting a 15 inch touch screen for all your digital streaming needs. Customized RGB lighting to match that new Logitech gaming keyboard to impress all your Call Of Duty friends! Will set you back $2.2 million US excluding the needed direct power connection to your local nuclear reactor. Oh…also comes with an iPod dock so you can plug in your pink Nano!!

Not water cooled but who fricken cares!!

http://newatlas.com/pivetta-opera-only/29824/

http://www.onlycreative.it/opera-only

What kind of speaker need that power??? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:05 am 

I'm about to water cool my amplifier! Check it out on my YouTube Channel AdrianzTwoCents :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 am 

For optimum temperature you can add a thermostat .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
If kilowatt class A power is what you crave…..

Size of a small car weighing in a measly 1500kg, capable of producing 120kw class A into 8hms with 0.1 ohm stability. Can be custom ordered with an onboard 8 core processor sporting a 15 inch touch screen for all your digital streaming needs. Customized RGB lighting to match that new Logitech gaming keyboard to impress all your Call Of Duty friends! Will set you back $2.2 million US excluding the needed direct power connection to your local nuclear reactor. Oh…also comes with an iPod dock so you can plug in your pink Nano!!

Not water cooled but who fricken cares!!

http://newatlas.com/pivetta-opera-only/29824/

http://www.onlycreative.it/opera-only

Bingo :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:07 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Von Gaylord watercooled tube amp from CES 2008.

Not sure if it made it into production but the amp appeared to be operational during the show.

Attachments:
IMG_0066-2008ces.jpg
IMG_0066-2008ces.jpg [ 100.2 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:23 pm 

Thanks!

http://vongaylordaudio.com/beta/unisea/

Very interesting design tubes in liquid!!! 200w!!?

100 000$ US I'll pass :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm 

Vandersteen makes a liquid cooled amp to match their model 7 speakers..the price tag says ..ouch :)
http://www.vandersteen.com/products/m7-hpa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm 

vonclod wrote:
Vandersteen makes a liquid cooled amp to match their model 7 speakers..the price tag says ..ouch :)
http://www.vandersteen.com/products/m7-hpa

Yep really pricey. I can't beleive it has to cost that much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:24 pm 

The anthem M1 mono blocks are liquid cooled if memory serves, 1000 watts/, class D tho I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:56 pm 

Just need to use silver heat sinks. Best heat conductivity of any metal. I'm sure you can get some 400 oz bars machined.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 am 

Watercooling is b.s

Same for computers in all but the most specific applications. I just don't believe in it, it's a weird gamer gimmick. Why would you be pushing the overclock on your CPU? Buy something better, get a workstation, add a second node, whatever, just don't overclock. A computer should be neither seen nor heard, off somewhere in a machine room. Plus, the Mac Pro I used for years was silent enough to run in a studio with almost no impact to the noise floor and did that use 'water cooling' or some fancy crap? No, they used very quiet fans and huge aluminum heat sinks over each processor and on each stick of RAM (I took issue with that since the special heat spreaders were getting pricey AF when I wanted 64gbs of ram back in 2006)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am 

EveDoesAudioThings wrote:
Watercooling is b.s

Same for computers in all but the most specific applications. I just don't believe in it, it's a weird gamer gimmick. Why would you be pushing the overclock on your CPU? Buy something better, get a workstation, add a second node, whatever, just don't overclock. A computer should be neither seen nor heard, off somewhere in a machine room. Plus, the Mac Pro I used for years was silent enough to run in a studio with almost no impact to the noise floor and did that use 'water cooling' or some fancy crap? No, they used very quiet fans and huge aluminum heat sinks over each processor and on each stick of RAM (I took issue with that since the special heat spreaders were getting pricey AF when I wanted 64gbs of ram back in 2006)

How is water cooling BS? :roll: Admittedly the picture of the computer I posted earlier with a custom water loop is more for show, despite it’s performance gains. But current AIO (All In One) water coolers are more efficient and in most cases quieter than their air cooled heatsink/fan counterparts. With a much smaller CPU cooling block, they exert less stress on the CPU Socket and keep heat away from other critical parts such as RAM, VRM and M.2 drives while also allowing the tallest of RAM modules to be used.

Not every environment can be controlled, implementing water cooling allows a computer to operate at it’s full potential without the worry of CPU/GPU throttling or in worse case FAILING! Also, with many of todays current CPU’s, one can gain a temporary performance increase should you have the thermal headroom. Intel’s Turbo Boost technology is a prime example of this. No overclocking needed!

As for overclocking – many do overclock just for the sake of bragging rights. But despite that, an overclocked CPU is an extremely cost effective way to increase performance. Take content creation as an example. Saving a few minutes on a single rendering job with an overclocked CPU may not seem like much, but spread that time savings across hundreds of rendering jobs and you are saving hours even days of rendering time. And to a content creator, time is MONEY!! With the price of modern “performance” CPU’s going through the roof, it is not uncommon for one to purchase a cheaper CPU and overclock it for performance gains.

The Mac Pro used a Heat Pipe type cooler which is essentially “water cooled”. It also, if memory serves me correctly, employed a 2 Core Xeon 5150 processor with a TDP of only 65 watts which is a far cry from the 140 + watts of many current Xeon CPU’s. A AIO water cooler may be wasted on a Xeon 5150, but almost needed for current CPU’s to run their full potential without sounding like F-16 taking off in your office!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
EveDoesAudioThings wrote:
Watercooling is b.s

How is water cooling BS? :roll: Admittedly the picture of the computer I posted earlier with a custom water loop is more for show, despite it’s performance gains. But current AIO (All In One) water coolers are more efficient and in most cases quieter than their air cooled heatsink/fan counterparts. With a much smaller CPU cooling block, they exert less stress on the CPU Socket and keep heat away from other critical parts such as RAM, VRM and M.2 drives while also allowing the tallest of RAM modules to be used.

Not every environment can be controlled, implementing water cooling allows a computer to operate at it’s full potential without the worry of CPU/GPU throttling or in worse case FAILING! Also, with many of todays current CPU’s, one can gain a temporary performance increase should you have the thermal headroom. Intel’s Turbo Boost technology is a prime example of this. No overclocking needed!

As for overclocking – many do overclock just for the sake of bragging rights. But despite that, an overclocked CPU is an extremely cost effective way to increase performance. Take content creation as an example. Saving a few minutes on a single rendering job with an overclocked CPU may not seem like much, but spread that time savings across hundreds of rendering jobs and you are saving hours even days of rendering time. And to a content creator, time is MONEY!! With the price of modern “performance” CPU’s going through the roof, it is not uncommon for one to purchase a cheaper CPU and overclock it for performance gains.

The Mac Pro used a Heat Pipe type cooler which is essentially “water cooled”. It also, if memory serves me correctly, employed a 2 Core Xeon 5150 processor with a TDP of only 65 watts which is a far cry from the 140 + watts of many current Xeon CPU’s. A AIO water cooler may be wasted on a Xeon 5150, but almost needed for current CPU’s to run their full potential without sounding like F-16 taking off in your office!

I fully agree that water cooling makes more sense than not on any HEDT. If you've got a high end CPU, it probably needs better than average cooling ei watercooling, to not hit thermal throttling under any load. 95+ watts of TDP is too much for most air cooler, and just too much to cool passively in most real life environments. That's why high end CPUs don't come with stock air coolers.

The point of water cooling is not just to overclock, which does basically cost the same amount as not buying sufficient cooling and getting a bet CPU instead. In fact, a better CPU will likely perform much worse than a notch down with water cooling, even at stock clocks because the cheaper chip with water cooling will never thermal throttle itself to a lower clock and it will last longer.

Also, most cheaper CPUs are just lower clocked, unbinned versions of the same ones above it in the same line. So, if it's unlocked, you can pay less, buy better cooling, over clock and get better performance than the chip above it for less money and have better long term reliability. Over clocking is not bad for a CPU if you're cooling is sufficient and you're not striving for brink of instability, e-peen bragging numbers. Sensible voltage, cooling and over clocking is a much better way to get more performance for less. Putting your air cooled computer in a different room with a better CPU won't stop it from hitting 90 degrees and throttling or dying early. In fact, if you put it in a smaller room elsewhere, it's worse regardless because of heat and you likely won't be cleaning the fans and heat sinks which is important for the performance of any HEDT.

Computers, like many things, are not worth spending money on if you don't know how to care for them and keep them running well. A Mac Mini is fine for someone that just wants a media computer. But creators, gamers and other professionals need to have their computers running full out for long hours to get the best productivity out of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 am 

Its all about keeping the circuit parts at the ideal temperature-for audio anyway.
Ideal temperature equals ideal sound quality.

They do design specifically for this.
Computerized design for heat sinks and if not enough they add a fan which usually raises-not lowers the noise floor. Keeping in mind most Class AB amps are usually only class A for the first watt or two and class A runs very hot because it is so inefficent but supposedly sounds the best or among the best.

The lower the noise floor the higher the potential sound quality.

Regarding computers.....everyone wants artifical intelligence in their DSP. Digital is all computer. I think digital audio reproduction is lock step with what computers are available to the masses today. As computers become more capable (chipsets/software/ability to convert/work with gigantic files problem free, etc.,) and cheaper (Moores Law) then we will get better sound, until then they keep selling us the same music over and over in new improved formats as long as the performance is recorded using state of present art. On the other hand top recording and mastering rooms use all old mikes and boards and so on........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 pm 

For my HK 990, I got a AIRCOM T8... (110 CAD from Amazon).
From 104 F to 89 F.....

Attachments:
IMG_7691.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG [ 483.63 KiB | Viewed 63 times ]
IMG_7666.JPG
IMG_7666.JPG [ 469.09 KiB | Viewed 64 times ]

DAP: Fiio X1II PSB M4U-1