Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm 

Hi There

Long story - my son picked up a neighbour's turntable and I'm trying to set it up to play, wouldn't mind a relatively quality sound if I can. So, I needed a phono pre-amp and was looking at the Yaqin MS23B - seems to get great reviews. THen I noticed the 12B, about $165 more, but it lets you run your CD through it.

At this point I'm probably just going to use a Yamaha amp I already have, although I wouldn't be averse to moving into something a little higher end if I get into it, so my question to the experts here: getting something like the 12B and running your CD player through it - does it really make much of a difference?

Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:28 pm 

If you're set on a Yaqin get the MS33. It is heads above the rest of their offerings. The MS23 is great but you'll need to possibly address some hum issues which is simple as pie. I convert the MS23 and MS22 over to a custom "Les Box" and it's a serious contender for most $1000+ Phono stages. The Yamaha will also be great but Vinyl and tubes seem to go hand in hand. The Project Phono or the Rega Phono are both very affordable and will do a super job as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 pm 

I owned the Grant Fidelity P307, which is a version of the 12B. Used it as a phono pre and as an input for my dac to soften the digital.
Upgrading the tubes provided a tremendous improvement.
careful to ensure the amp is off though when turning the unit on and off, or even changing the inputs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 am 

I have a MS12B, that I bought used on this site 4 years ago. I use mine as a Phono Pre with Exposure gear, and was a step up from the Exposure Phono from my 2010S.

I've tried using it as a buffer for my CD player, but didn't notice much difference.

Tube rolling makes a difference from the stock tubes, as I'm now using Psvane treasure tubes.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am 

steve cunningham wrote:
I have a MS12B, that I bought used on this site 4 years ago. I use mine as a Phono Pre with Exposure gear, and was a step up from the Exposure Phono from my 2010S.

I've tried using it as a buffer for my CD player, but didn't notice much difference.

Tube rolling makes a difference from the stock tubes, as I'm now using Psvane treasure tubes.

Steve

Thanks Steve - so based on that it's not worth the extra dollars to get the 12b over the 23b (all it would add is the ability to run your CD through it). Is that your thought?

-- 23 Aug 2017 19:25 --

mpublicover wrote:
Used it as a phono pre and as an input for my dac to soften the digital.

How did you find it worked on softening the digital from the DAC? Worth the extra money?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm 

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm 

thinice wrote:
steve cunningham wrote:

Steve

Thanks Steve - so based on that it's not worth the extra dollars to get the 12b over the 23b (all it would add is the ability to run your CD through it). Is that your thought?

-- 23 Aug 2017 19:25 --

mpublicover wrote:
Used it as a phono pre and as an input for my dac to soften the digital.

How did you find it worked on softening the digital from the DAC? Worth the extra money?

I can't comment on the value over the 23b as I have not heard the latter. I traded to get my unit to originally use as a buffer as my amp at the time had a configuration for such. It was too big to use as such for me though. I played around with it in several ways for set up but can't recall if I compared the dac input against bypassing it. I was so impressed with the result of the tube upgrade on the phono that I just went with it.
a couple of things to consider though:
the 12b is an awkward set up. The phono input is in the front which makes the cable connection bend around or use a 90 degree adapter. This didn't appeal to me.
in my case I paid as much for upgrading the tubes as I sold the unit for; I kept the upgraded tubes. The upgrade was well worth it but that added cost should be factored into your decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 pm 

My experience is with the MS12B which I recently bought a few weeks ago along with a treasure of vintage tubes. Pay particular attention to the interconnects as some could be unidirectional. I was truly amazed at the results of running a Cambridge MC phono stage thru the CD input. This is a very versatile pre but it still lacks inputs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm 

poupon wrote:
My experience is with the MS12B which I recently bought a few weeks ago along with a treasure of vintage tubes. Pay particular attention to the interconnects as some could be unidirectional. I was truly amazed at the results of running a Cambridge MC phono stage thru the CD input. This is a very versatile pre but it still lacks inputs.

Interesting - so you are voting for the 12b and running some line level inputs through that. It also occurred to me that, if I wanted to upgrade my main amplifier later and went to a tube amp, running the CD through the 12b preamp wouldn't really add much - I'd get the warmth from the main amplifier. Am I thinking right on that - again, I'm a newbie to this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm 

Consider also the Silk 23b. $250 CDN, and the signal path caps are swapped out with Solen. I may try one of these at some point. I had a stock 23b a few years ago, and it was pretty good. But what really floored me, was when I connected it to my brother's late 80's Linn Intek integrated amp. It was magic! Huge, deep sound stage. I still can't believe how good it sounded when we played Fleetwood Mac's Bare Trees album. It was a really big lesson to me in terms of system synergy, and how important it is. I've considered (a few times) sourcing an Intek, acquiring another 23b and calling it a day (but I love my current system too much) :o