Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 am 

I have had the amps boxed for about 6 months also pre is also boxed
Started new built in cabinet for 2 channel
House is new

I will place the amps on shelf that is appox 58 inches wide and 20 inches deep ( both amps on same shelf )

I have a C2300 to go above the amps on another shelf ,shelf not built yet,my question is how much room above amps will work for the build of next shelf for pre,,,?

Will 4 inches work?

Everything is built to exterior wall 2x6 studs,,no drywall yet,only insulation and vapor barrier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 am 

Do you have open sides and back? If so, the heat has lots of space to move out. In that case, 4" is fine. What happens if you decide to buy a taller amp/amps?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 pm 

I alway leave extra room in case I want to install risers under my components to allow for additional air movement. As stated above you need room for convection movement. Either the back and/or the sides need to be open to ambient air. If not, then you will need to leave additional room behind and above the amps. Leave at least 6 inches to each side of the amps. Leave a foot of distance between the two amps. You need to accommodate enough room for emi/rf interference to be negated. Space is your friend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm 

I'm sure this might be considered a little redneck but it works for me. ModWright tells you straight out not to put this amp in a shelf, they want it out in the open or it's heat sensor is quite enthusiastic in shutting it down. I installed a eight inch ultra quiet computer fan above it that is powered by the amps remote 12 volt trigger. After several long loud listening sessions with the pellet stove keeping the room nice and toasty it has never shut down once. And I should mention that the fan is so quiet that I have to put my hand under it to find out if it's on.

I'm not saying it's the perfect solution but if you do end up having heat issues it's a simple one.

PS. Sorry for the poor lighting but it's a deep shelf without any direct lighting.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 195.16 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm 

My two cents: If you're pre-drywall, consider running a couple of dedicated power lines from the fuse box to where the amps will sit. When I built my music room, I had three 20amp dedicated lines run, one for each amp location, and one for the source gear. It's not expensive to do while everything is open, and it reduces the chances that noise from other appliances, or computers, will be audible.

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 am 

Have 3 20 amp dedicated outlets for the 2 channel,hoping to have it all up and running by Christmas,everything sitting in storage for the last 6 months

I have made the first shelf 54 wide,20 deep,11 high looks like lots of room for the amps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm 

Don't sweat it.
The new 7B3 runs much cooler than your old 7bSST2. I'm still surprised by the difference.
Mine are in a cabinet, side-by-side with a couple of inches on the sides and four inches behind and above. No problems at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 pm 

jt_to wrote:
Don't sweat it.
The new 7B3 runs much cooler than your old 7bSST2. I'm still surprised by the difference.
Mine are in a cabinet, side-by-side with a couple of inches on the sides and four inches behind and above. No problems at all.

Thanks great to know

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 am 

Congratulations on your retirement move and new home! Be sure to post some photos when you get your system up and running.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 am 

David P wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement move and new home! Be sure to post some photos when you get your system up and running.

Thanks

Been here for 6 months without stereo,system will be
7B3 amps
C2300 preamp
VPI Classic 2 with JMW 10.5i/ Classic Signature with Discovery tone arm wiring ,,i have not used this table yet
UBP-205 for digital,still in the box got it from solutions