Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm 

mechstek wrote:
Consider the levels of cooling fan noise associated with pro power amps if they are going to be in the same room as your other gear and speakers.

I figure if he's asking for that much power he'll not notice the fans much. Gawd knows when I used to run mobiles I had ear plugs in all the time and the volumes were still on the verge of overwhelming but you are correct - the fans do spool up quite a bit once you start pushing them. At idle they aren't bad but not silent like a passive cooled solution. Depending where he lives he should be able to rent one as they are quite popular with pro-sound rental folk. Try before you buy is always nice.

In Ottawa - Wall Sound was my vendor of choice (and I'd rent when I needed extra punch for larger events).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 pm 

I already have an Inuke 6000 and can't hear the fans at all when listening to music or movies. So not too worried since I heard the Inuke's are notorious for loud fans.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

bass_4_ever wrote:
Sorry, mobile isn't always the friendliest. What do the Crown 6002 usually go for used? I see new they're 1,999 UsD.

And why is Behringer a bad idea?

Not a sterling reputation for longevity or quality. i like equipment that has a warranty, but never needs it. QSC has that reputation, as do many others. Behringer is not in that group.

Considering the price it is worth a shot. But check reviews of serious users vs breakdowns, before committing.

But, I'd *almost* be willing to make a hard bet that one could buy 10 good condition qsc MX-3000a's, that are about 10 years old... and 10 Behringer iNuke 6000's.... and that at the end of 5 years, more of the QSC amps would still be working.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm 

Yikes that's good to know. I've had my Inuke for 2 years now and so far so good.. touch wood.

Looking at the Yorkville, seems pretty solid (whether the AP4040 or the AP4K. Any comments on these?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:30 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

raelbot wrote:
If you are looking for cheap and cheerful - and it is only to power your subs - then you might want to check out Yorkville Sound. They make sound reinforcement speakers/subs/amplifiers. Think of them as the poor man's alternative to Yamaha Pro. They are a Canadian company. I used to use them a lot when I ran a bunch of mobile units.

Anyways - they have amps at very reasonable prices - for example they have the PX1700 which you can usually pick up for the 500'ish range new. Stable to 2 ohms and up to 1700 watts in mono.

http://yorkville.com/ - no affiliation

The more I look, the more I like this, for $1k, for a pair of them, one per sub.

The yorkvilles have always been solid performers. Especially a good idea as they are made right here in Canada, just outside of Toronto. They can stand on the front step, having a smoke, and throw rocks (or flick butts) at PSB and NAD. Literally (IIRC)

anyway, the 1700 watts mono and the 36lbs, and a stated class H output topology, probably means a pulse power supply, not a giant toroid transformer. 1700 watts and a 'normal' power supply would mean at least 60lbs weight. so it has to be a pulse power supply, as that requisite 20-25lbs is missing. This can spell trouble at about the 5+ year mark, depending on level of use and abuse. Pulse power supplies and class d amplifiers , in their long term stability/reliability and function, tend to count on the electrolytic capacitors being in perfect condition and not aging. Which can't happen, you see, especially when said circuits stress them to the absolute max level.

As an example, the iNuke6000 has a class d output amplifier and pulse power supply system, done with cheap Chinese capacitors. This has to be the story with the amp, considering it's claimed specs vs it's weight. IIRC, it tested much wimpier? These units are doomed to have a short life cycle, if certain capacitors (which can only be determined via close inspection of the circuit) are not changed out for quality units and then changed every 3-5 years or less, depending on the stressing that is seen in periodic checks (depends on the given hours of use and static aging characteristics, intrinsic failure rates, etc). The old school amps have no such stresses. They have their own problems but they don't have those sorts of short lifespan problems.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 pm 

I was looking at the AP4k (or 4040) bridged.. 1 to each sub would be rather nice. Just gotta find them used for a good deal. Don't have $1,000 laying around lol. What do you figure they need power wise? Each on their own 15 amp circuit or better on 20's?

Shoot..: does this mean I need to upgrade from my Behringer to m LMS Ultra's too?! Lol

And based on your statement about the Yorkville above, would you still suggest / recommend it? Or better off holding out for something of "higher quality? I know it comes down to " Les budget = lower quality", however I would certainly settle for used gear, not just new. I'm looking for longer terms as opposed to shorter term, if I can help it.

The Inuke I couldn't go wrong with since it was 300$ brand new shipped on a liquidation special and it was my first power amp.

This is my first "larger home Theater". I have 2 18" LMS Ultras, 2 AcouPower 18's, and 2 Sound Splinter RLP15's I'd like to power over time. I also have 4 Adire Audio Tempest 15's that I'll be selling shortly in order to keep my wife at bay and not trying to kill me! Lol!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

bass_4_ever wrote:
I was looking at the AP4k (or 4040) bridged.. 1 to each sub would be rather nice. Just gotta find them used for a good deal. Don't have $1,000 laying around lol. What do you figure they need power wise? Each on their own 15 amp circuit or better on 20's?

Shoot..: does this mean I need to upgrade from my Behringer to m LMS Ultra's too?! Lol

And based on your statement about the Yorkville above, would you still suggest / recommend it? Or better off holding out for something of "higher quality? I know it comes down to " Les budget = lower quality", however I would certainly settle for used gear, not just new. I'm looking for longer terms as opposed to shorter term, if I can help it.

The Inuke I couldn't go wrong with since it was 300$ brand new shipped on a liquidation special and it was my first power amp.

This is my first "larger home Theater". I have 2 18" LMS Ultras, 2 AcouPower 18's, and 2 Sound Splinter RLP15's I'd like to power over time. I also have 4 Adire Audio Tempest 15's that I'll be selling shortly in order to keep my wife at bay and not trying to kill me! Lol!

they may be available in 240vac twist lock, which would be 20A anyway.... when we installed the big qsc amps, we went for 20A dedicated lines. But this was for bars and the like, and when those systems were pounding, they needed solid 'home run-dedicated-star grounded' ac power lines (in metal conduit -but that's pro install, not likely needed in a house, just the 20A line is fine) and that clean low resistance current..would help keep the amps more stable. When you do it right, when your first hit the power, the thing comes up hum free and only needs some eq and level setting and it's good for many years. Some guys do it cheap and bad and then the bar or whatever gets bled to death with service calls due to crap installers. My record is on a bar install that lasted 12 years without a service call. Nobody appreciates or understands that, when they are looking at quotes for a given install. They usually end up paying for that mistake. Forever. The crap installer gets the job and then bleeds the company to death with expensive service calls. It's a dumb world, sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Try looking for some good condition yorkvilles, yes.

a historical side note : I have the last driver to ever come out of the Audire factory. A 12" tummult hybrid they made for me as a test driver.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 am 

appreciate the feedback. I'll be hunting for Yorkville AP4040's or AP4K's. Fingers crossed. I plan on running dedicated lines for each amp to keep the power as clean as possible.
Hopefully I can find some good upcoming deals in the near future. Any idea what the difference is between the 2 besides the AP4K being the "newer" model?

Wow lucky guy with the Tummult's! I love the Tempests, but think I'd like to keep the Sound Splinters.

Was also looking at another possibility which would be a Crown XTi6002. If I run a pair of single 8 ohm subs in parallel, that will give me 4ohms. The XTi6002 specs show 6000w @ 4 ohms. Hmm... decisions decisions...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 am 

bass_4_ever wrote:
appreciate the feedback. I'll be hunting for Yorkville AP4040's or AP4K's. Fingers crossed. I plan on running dedicated lines for each amp to keep the power as clean as possible.
Hopefully I can find some good upcoming deals in the near future. Any idea what the difference is between the 2 besides the AP4K being the "newer" model?

Wow lucky guy with the Tummult's! I love the Tempests, but think I'd like to keep the Sound Splinters.

Was also looking at another possibility which would be a Crown XTi6002. If I run a pair of single 8 ohm subs in parallel, that will give me 4ohms. The XTi6002 specs show 6000w @ 4 ohms. Hmm... decisions decisions...

You often see them on eBay - looking at a 4040 for 325$ and a 4.4 for 400$. Some of the previous generation stuff is also there for similar/lower prices. The stuff I used was older - 10-15 years ago. It was less than 1/2 the price of the equivalent Yamaha Pro stuff which was a big deal when you wind up buying a dozen+ of them (multiple mobile units). I ran them near red-line all night for years and years without a hiccup. Not sure if they are still as bullet proof but I have fond memories of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am 

So far all the local AP 4040's are going for $500 - $600. Haven't found much yet on ebay.
The new AP4K is $1,300+tax.

still looking around.