Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:49 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
... The Evolution 402e is equipped with two 2,200 VA transformers and...

Because, I was not familiar with the Evolution 402e, I too just went to krellonline.com --
And read of the Transformer VA Ratings for the Unit.

Agreed! Those are Extremely, Large and hefty Power Transformers.
--
The 'Slew Rate' of the 402e is also very good @ 100 V/µs.
Thus, not only should the 402e be extremely powerful... It also should be quite fast! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:04 am 

Congrats. The Krell 402e delivers a speaker-melting 400W per channel into a conventional 8-ohm load and continues to follow the amplification ideal by doubling power output as impedance halves, and the company even quotes 1.6kW into a 2-ohm load https://www.whathifi.com/krell/evolution-402e/review

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 am 

kb007 wrote:
Krell 402e that is.

Not too long ago I swapped out the Model 1 Sigs in my LR system for some Mani-2s. While the improvement was good, I've still felt something was just not quite right. This was using them bi-amped with a pair of Bryston 4b-ssts, so there should have been plenty of power, but it seemed to lack some detail and finesse if I can call it that.

Well, a few days ago I saw an ad for a Krell 402e at a cam dealer. After a few emails we came up with a deal that had me trading the 2 4b-ssts, plus the m1 sigs a some cash for the Krell. I was pretty happy to be able to work a deal like that, so off I went to do the deal yesterday.

Got home last night with it and got it into my LR rack and played a few sides.

Before I get too far, Krell warn users of a couple of things and they are too true. First, it's f-ing heavy, 130 lbs uncrated, no cheap shelf units for this thing. Second, they rate the heat output at 6400 btus, or in normal people speak, "holy crap that's hot".

Moving along, all I can say is this amp is awesome. The brystons were no slouch, but there's a different level of sound quality that just seems better in every way.

Detail resolution is much improved. Fine details are not just present, but clearly articulated and their presence becomes well known without being shrill or analytical.
High end is all there, but very smooth and realistic in presentation

Sound staging is wide and clean with not distractions in the presentation.

Bass is tight and controlled without any harshness or mush. Mid bass is silky and liquid, yet detailed.

I've been listening to some of my faves, which include a few albums that have some fairly complex rhythm and percussion passages recorded live. I'm really quite surprised at how different the presentation is. The sound stage come alive, both side to side and front to back.

This amp is definitely a keeper.

I own the Krell EVO 402 for 6 years now and I do agree with your statement regarding its sound quality. They are very robust and visceral sounding as if you're in the middle of the concert hall much more so than the Classe CA-400 monoblocks.

However, its sound quality took off to another level when I paired it with the Krell EVO 202 pre amp and connected it via CAST.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:07 pm 

A few years back, my buddy and a prominent member of this Canuck Community, Riffer, gave me a hand carrying my Krell FPB 600 up a couple of flight of stairs after purchasing it from a fellow member. The amp sounds fantastic and remains among the very best I have ever heard. My buddy still complains about his sore back. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 pm 

Congratulations.

To be perfectly honest I owned a 4BST once. It was replaced by a Van Alstine 600R which trounces the Bryston in virtually every respect.

Since then I've come to regard Bryston amplifiers as well built but with mediocre sound.