Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm 

Krell 402e that is.

Not too long ago I swapped out the Model 1 Sigs in my LR system for some Mani-2s. While the improvement was good, I've still felt something was just not quite right. This was using them bi-amped with a pair of Bryston 4b-ssts, so there should have been plenty of power, but it seemed to lack some detail and finesse if I can call it that.

Well, a few days ago I saw an ad for a Krell 402e at a cam dealer. After a few emails we came up with a deal that had me trading the 2 4b-ssts, plus the m1 sigs a some cash for the Krell. I was pretty happy to be able to work a deal like that, so off I went to do the deal yesterday.

Got home last night with it and got it into my LR rack and played a few sides.

Before I get too far, Krell warn users of a couple of things and they are too true. First, it's f-ing heavy, 130 lbs uncrated, no cheap shelf units for this thing. Second, they rate the heat output at 6400 btus, or in normal people speak, "holy crap that's hot".

Moving along, all I can say is this amp is awesome. The brystons were no slouch, but there's a different level of sound quality that just seems better in every way.

Detail resolution is much improved. Fine details are not just present, but clearly articulated and their presence becomes well known without being shrill or analytical.
High end is all there, but very smooth and realistic in presentation

Sound staging is wide and clean with not distractions in the presentation.

Bass is tight and controlled without any harshness or mush. Mid bass is silky and liquid, yet detailed.

I've been listening to some of my faves, which include a few albums that have some fairly complex rhythm and percussion passages recorded live. I'm really quite surprised at how different the presentation is. The sound stage come alive, both side to side and front to back.

This amp is definitely a keeper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 pm 

Congrats...
Not too many can say they own one!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm 

I was curious and found this info on the krell web site - HOLY &$@!, this is a beast !

Quote:
The Evolution 402e is equipped with two 2,200 VA transformers and 188,000μF of capacitance. This power source is the backbone for the output of the Evolution 402e. With this foundation, the Evolution 402e delivers 400 watts into 8 Ohms, 800 watts into 4 Ohms, and 1,600 watts into 2 Ohms with all both channels driven simultaneously. The FTC mandates that power ratings are quoted using a 1,000 Hz sine wave into a fixed 8 Ohm resistor with final power specification stated at 1% distortion. Krell engineering considers this specification too lenient and not indicative of what an amplifier is required to provide. Krell designs to a much stricter standard. Our power tests use a 20-20,000Hz signal into 8, 4, and 2 Ohm loads. Our power tests use a 20-20,000Hz signal into 8, 4, and 2 Ohm loads with our final specifications stated for .1% distortion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
Premium User

Congrats! I almost bought the last one that listed. Looks like a great amp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:30 pm 

But I thought all amps sound the same. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm 

Good one KJT1..!!!! If only the uninitiated could hear the difference between a $500 amp and a $5000 amp, and yes almost all high end brands have their own "sound"... slightly different and sometimes huge differences... even the masses can hear the difference between two equally priced amps, like a Jeff Rowland and a Krell..... if they can't, there is no hope for this hobby!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:27 pm 

Krell are great amp. some say they sound bright. I always say , not so. they are very clean, and details are coming out beautifully. (I have 3 and,im on my way to buy a fourth one.) if you think they sound bright, look elsewhere then blaming the krell s. it must be your speaker or cable, or other that s wrong. because krell produce more micro detail then most amp out there, and i love them for exactly that. and the bass is always perfectly balance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 pm 

Welcome to the club!

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:20 pm 

good move! Have fun with it....one time I had all Krell system and it was very good indeed......mind you with the Apogee Duetta Signatures it was pair just made for each other....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:12 am 

Although I'm a Bryston fan, I own a 3B NPB, I once had a Threshold Stasis III. That amplifier is closer to the Krell sound than the Bryston and it sounded superb. I never had a Krell but was always impressed with the design and build quality. The audio designer Nelson Pass was one of those pioneers that developed the Class A amplifier and started his company, Threshold. This amplifier sonical shows all the details and nuances in the music coming from the source, which for me is usually turntables. Nakamichi licensed the Staisis design from Pass. I have a Nakamichi receiver, the A500 actually produced to be sold at Best Buy which is based on the Stasis design, it sounds great. It's a pro logic surround receiver.

Nelson Pass
Born: June 27, 1951 (age 66), Massachusetts, United States
Education: University of California, Davis
Organization founded: Pass Labs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:15 am 

kb007 wrote:
Well, a few days ago I saw an ad for a Krell 402e at a cam dealer. After a few emails we came up with a deal that had me trading the 2 4b-ssts, plus the m1 sigs a some cash for the Krell. I was pretty happy to be able to work a deal like that, so off I went to do the deal yesterday.

Nice deal. Pity the schmucks who paid US$18,500 for the thing back in 2010. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 am 

KJT1 wrote:
They do if you listen to Harbeths. :lol:

I asked a friend to bring over his Krell KSA100 so I could hear it on my maggy 2.5r, way back when (I helped him with it...it took the two of us to carry it :shock: ). The amp I using at the time was a Threshold S150, which I was pretty happy with.

I swear, I never heard an amp with a more solid grip on the music...at high levels I first thought it was going to rip the maggies apart with it's powerful, limitless dynamics. I relaxed when I realized this heavy hitting was being delivered without strain...only assuring ease and authority.

It was a sad moment when the evening ended and I replaced the Threshold in the system. Now, it sounded so small. :(

Borrowing someone else's equipment can be a punishing experience, especially when that gear is a Krell amp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:28 am 

ripblade wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
They do if you listen to Harbeths. :lol:

I guess that's why I bought ATC's :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 am 

I ran thru a few more sides last nigt and I'm truly blown away at the detail, resolution and presentation from this amp. Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 am 

Back to "you get what you pay for" holds true in most everything and so do the laws of diminishing return. Krell Evolution is a very fine amp indeed.