Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:21 am 

Hello again gang,

For peace-of-mind, I was planning on sending my small collection of Bryston 3Bs & 4Bs
to Peterborough for "refurbishment". Most of my Bryston gear is from the 1980s, and is
in at least 6½/10 cosmetic condition.

Before investing mucho dinero on equipment >30 years old, I was hoping to benefit from
the experiences of CAM members who may have paid to have their own vintage Bryston
amps refurbished. Specifically, I would be interested in knowing:

* your amp's model number & approx. build-year;
* how old your amp was when Bryston refurbished it;
* what Bryston did for your amp;
* how much it cost you;
* if you noticed any sonic improvement after the refurbishment;
* if you thought the extra investment was worthwhile.

In my case, each of my Bryston amps work properly and sound as I believe they should.
My main concern is probably not wanting my gear to suffer from neglect and fall into
eventual disrepair. I assume my hearing is average for someone over 50.

Although several of my friends have recently ditched their vintage class AB amps for
Crown's "DriveCore" technology" (as in their XLSnn02 amps), I view vintage Bryston
gear as long-term investments which are worthy of cherishing. I also have a somewhat
patriotic view of vintage audio gear which was made in the Western Hemisphere.

If this topic has already been discussed at length in another thread, please post a link.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:28 am 
Premium User

Not going to list all the Bryston gear both myself and close colleagues have had refurbished by Bryston but will say that it is money well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm 

are you going to use it in PRO or home...not clear from your last paragraph...either way...Bryston will do best service for you for sure....in matter of collectibility....that is hard to imagine....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:29 pm 

I had my 3B SST sent in for a new switch under warranty. I also had them upgrade it to an 3B SST2. I would have to find the spec sheet, but they replaced the caps, switch and I think the circuit board. They did this at no charge except for shipping. I believe it was a gift for my digital recording idea, but I may be delusional. I don't think they normally upgrade the SST to SST2.

Anyway I used it in surround duty when it came back and the sound was better. Then I got the bright idea to swap it with my other 3B SST2 on the mains, OMG! It sounded significantly better and I am one happy audiophile.

So I would definitely send your amps in for refurbishing you may be pleasantly surprised with a sonic improvement with newer parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:59 pm 

While I have not had Bryston "refurbished" I have been told by a couple of techs that Bryston does the work at extremely reasonable prices. Further and in spite of the "nay-sayers" new parts make equipment sound better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:07 pm 

Have a pair of 3B I have been meaning to get sent off to them for a while now. Wouldn't hesitate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:41 am 

A friend had a hum coming from a 38 year old 4B Bryston, I spoke with technician and he recommended replacing caps and filters, and they sent them out. I did work myself and returned Bryston to fine working order. Have had many good experiences with Bryston people and would recommend using them. My only issue is that they want items shipped in original boxes or they will supply boxes, which increases shipping costs and time. But I feel that they are a really good company to deal with and have nothing but respect for them.

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 am 

IMHO, the original 3B and 4B amps were not Bryston's best efforts regarding home use sonics. I would not hesitate to send a 4B back to Bryston not for refurbishment, but for refurbishment and upgrade (assuming the 4B can be upgraded). I would then consider the cost of refurbishment and upgrade with purchasing an newer amp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 am 

I've sent a few old Bryston amps back to them for refurbishment. Well worth the money, if you plan on keeping them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 am 

Dan Santoni in Hamilton refurbished my 4b NRB reasonable rates quality work.