Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nikki Beta 30
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 am 

What are your thoughts on this model of Preamp as far as build and sound quality etc.

GT.

Post subject: Re: Nikki Beta 30
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:31 pm 

Have had one as a backup for several years. Top-notch build quality, I'd say. Sound quality is good (not excellent). My other preamps are a Meitner PA 6i, and a Creek OBH-12 passive, both of them are a fair bit better sound quality. The Beta 30 sits idle, waiting for a friend in need.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm 

I have 3 Nikko Beta preamps.
Beta 20,30 and 40.
The Beta 40 has MM and MC phono inputs
Phono impedance selector
Loudness control switch.
The Beta 40 is a lot heavier than the others,well built.
The Beta 30 has a sound processor loop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:14 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

IMO and IME, the beta 30 is the weakest in sound quality, of all the nikko preamps built.

Any other nikko preamp is a superior unit, generally by a notable amount. I'd steal the volume pot out of the Beta 30 and leave the rest of it on the curb.

There is no doubt it works, yes, but the others are all discrete, with premium parts, that one looks like it was built to look good, and nothing else. Ie, no better than the average $100 cd player of days of yore. opamps, ic switching, and that's about it.

Beta 30=junk.
All other Nikko pre/power units=good.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nikko Beta 30
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:37 pm 

Had it, sold it. got handed one, sold it.
Have the bigger brother 50II, and prefer any of my others, the I, II, Beta 40. better sound.
Had a second 50II, sold it.
the 30 is plentiful on line. They sold many I guess, but it isn't their best work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am 

Thanks fo the replies. Interesting and educational.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:08 pm 

I have had the Beta 1,Beta 2 and Beta 30 and the 30 was the worst,i keep the Beta 2 in reserve because it works great with my Hafler DH-200 when i am not using something better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:08 pm 

I currently have the 20 and the 30. The 20 does basement workshop duty, and the 30 does bedroom duty, so neither have really been put through the paces to see how they actually perform in a decent system which is what I was considering doing in the living room setup. Both these Pre amps has never had the volume past 2 on the dial since I've had them simply because they just serve the intended purpose ( low listening ) in these two areas. Wanted some opinions before I started to tear everything apart. I'm currently building a new stand for all my living room units and didn't want to start ripping it apart until I have the new stand ready but that might be some time at the rate I'm currently going. Work always gets in the way of the fun stuff.

G.T.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:58 am 

I had a Beta 20, which was a decent preamp and now have a Beta 40 that was updated by SAR Labs with new op amps etc. These pre amps are easy to update and have a nice big toroidal transformer, good quality pots and, I believe, a seperate headphone amp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 am 

I'm going to disagree with Ken and others here. The Beta 30 is not a bad preamp, much worst has crossed my bench. It accepts upgrades well, but is competent in it's factory condition.

Will it compete with the top preamps? No, but the other Nikko units won't either. The same can be said of 90% of other preamps out there. It is better than average.

As for pulling the volume control and throwing the rest out, that's pretty silly. New controls are not that expensive and wouldn't be worth removing from one of these preamps. I would say that if you have one of these in good cosmetic condition, you should keep it, possibly upgrading it's performance. This would include much more than swapping op amps (besides, which ones should be installed?). A good service person can do this work without damaging the PCB, and I see a lot of PCBs damaged by upgrade attempts (all brands). Most folks simply do not have the skill or the proper equipment to do this work. If you are going to keep it, or sell it on, let a pro do the work and protect your investment.

-Chris