Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hi all..
For the past year or so i have been running Bryston preamp 12B with either one or bridged 2BLP amps.
Well now I'm just about to step up to a 4B ST amp and wondered if anyone might know what I might expect or notice as an upgrade.
I am very excited about this purchase as it comes on the heels of a very bad year for me.
Having to sell some very cherished pieces just to pay the rent.
Not crying the blues but it's been rough.
My finances have recently improved and I am about to get back in this game again.
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess..
Knowing there are many of you who understand the audio bug is a big comfort to me here on the forum.
Thanks for any replies.
Chip :))

Glad your finances are on the rebound Chip & I can offer only one nugget of wisdom: plug that big Bryston in and crank the sumbitch. Then let us know how it sounds. And you're bang-on, CAM is a groovy place to hang...
8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm 

Well...instead of going with the 4bst i was prudent after all and went with a 3bst.
I pulled the trigger today and saved myself about 500 dollars.
I decided i did not need 250 per side but still wanted the quality of the ST model.
The transaction went smoothly ( thanks Paul) and it will be here in a week.
Im stoked.
Once again thanks guys! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm 

I went from a Bryston 3B SST to a Bryston 4B SST2.
At first I thought the two were remarkably close in sound but on extended listening it was obvious the SST2 was better all round. Not dramatically better, but better.
The 3B SST is no slouch and had I not needed the extra power of the 4B, I could have lived quite happily with the 3B.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the 3B. Be sure to run it balanced.
FWIW I use Wireworld Oasis 7 bi-wire and a Gutwire B12 power cord with it.
I'm not sure if the Gutwire cord makes a lot of difference but the Wireworld cable is a great match.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 pm 

I have had a 4BST and a 3BST driving a pair Boston Acoustics A400's. The sound with the 3BST was more engaging, transparent with prat. The 4bst had more bass, although the sound was slow and boring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm 

Congrats Chip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 am 

Having owned the 12b and 4b about a thousand years ago, the biggest sonic gain would be upgrading the preamp. I moved away from Bryston preamp to a Classe DR-6 and I could not believe the difference. I have very little experience with the newer Bryston gear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:51 am 

After a week of listening to my 3B ST i am very satisfied with its performance compared to my 2BLP.
The bas is taught and full and the mid/highs are crisp and clean. It really brings out the best in my Polks and after adding a nice Dac it handles my digital side without breaking a sweat or breaking the bank.
A very highly recommended amp if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:07 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

You've got twice as many output transistors per (dc power) rail on a 3b vs a 2b, in the st series (IIRC, without checking on the schematics). Generally, this means more current swing for bass transients (in the general sense). If the speakers and programme demand it. Of course, the power supply also has to be able to deliver it. In that department the 3B is heftier than the 2B. And so on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Thanks guys...
I no longer have the 2b's as they were sold for rent.
It was after that my finances turned better.
I have been running an Adcom 535 mkii for a month and am now ready to pick up the 4B ST this week.
I have always had a 4B on the bucket list but did not know which one to go for when the moment came.
I have heard alot of good things about the ST and I'm going to strike while the iron is hot.

I went the other way, dumped the 4B (it had a nasty audible mechanical buzz) and temporarily moved to a Adcom GFA-535 driving a pair of PSB Stratus Gold. I took home a lot of good amps in my shopping days, and was certainly not disappointed by the small Adcom. I still have it, saving it for my daughter.

Too bad the 2Bs are gone. A few people have compared the sound quality of the 2B vs 4b with most leaning towards the smaller guy. As for power and slam, the 2B runs out of breath early. Question is, within the same brand and lineup, do small amps "sonically" outperform their bigger bros?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:00 am 

arvidien wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Thanks guys...
I no longer have the 2b's as they were sold for rent.
It was after that my finances turned better.
I have been running an Adcom 535 mkii for a month and am now ready to pick up the 4B ST this week.
I have always had a 4B on the bucket list but did not know which one to go for when the moment came.
I have heard alot of good things about the ST and I'm going to strike while the iron is hot.

I went the other way, dumped the 4B (it had a nasty audible mechanical buzz) and temporarily moved to a Adcom GFA-535 driving a pair of PSB Stratus Gold. I took home a lot of good amps in my shopping days, and was certainly not disappointed by the small Adcom. I still have it, saving it for my daughter.

Too bad the 2Bs are gone. A few people have compared the sound quality of the 2B vs 4b with most leaning towards the smaller guy. As for power and slam, the 2B runs out of breath early. Question is, within the same brand and lineup, do small amps "sonically" outperform their bigger bros?

Probably varies with the brand involved but I had the Bryston 2.5 sst2 and now have the 4sst2 in my tv system and I'd say that the smaller amp was the silkier sounding of the two but that the larger amp doesn't give up much in SQ plus has much better control and dynamics. However I've been told that in the squared series Brystons that the 7/14/28B's all sounded better than the 4.

And Chip... Congrats on the new amp and glad your enjoying it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:16 am 

Selling all the audio gear to pay bills.. Chip, I have been there twice since my divorce so basically I am on my third rebuild....
Surviving such an ordeal always allows us to justify such an upgraded rebuild.. You know what your funds can handle so if you go big on the amp and do some speaker upgrades and such everything will come together.. I personally get zero enjoyment from a large bank account and at the interest rates these days my hobby gives me much more enjoyment than say th .65 interest money sitting in a bank would give me. So I am with you.. It retains its value and is alway able to be sold for a "withdrawal" if ever need be.
Go for it and enjoy it.. Tomorrow is not guaranteed!!!!

Peace man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 am 

Thanks alot guys for the confidence and kind words.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm 

ST is a fine audio line.

I move from Hafler to a 4BST, a huge improvement.

Moving up the line, I recently moved from the 4Bst to 7BST2. I see it as a big improvement.

The 4BST was not a "bad" amp, the 7BSST2 is just better.

btw if someone wants a 4B ST contact me. It will be listed for sale soon.