Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 am 

Good to hear (!), you're going to take the Primare home for a test. That's always the best. I haven't myself heard the Primare, but I have owned a couple of Class D amps, including BelCanto and Red Dragon. They weren't my flavour, to be honest, but I haven't listened to a class D amp in a couple of years, and by all accounts they're improving, so you never know. You might like them just fine.

RE: tubed amps. If you have heard and like tube amps, I'd also recommend auditioning some, no matter what your dealer friend says. It would be a travesty if you give up the sound you actually prefer because a dealer happens to say tubes are too warm. It would be doubly sinful because tube amps aren't necessarily too warm any more. The stereotype of tubes being too warm is a left over from the 60s, when they would roll off the deep bass and treble, but go long on the mid-bass; and that's what made them sound too warm. Newer tube amps have most of that worked out, thanks to improvements in power supplies, circuit design, capacitor design, etc. If you're going to stay with your current speakers, get an amp with KT 88 or KT 90 output tubes and see what it sounds like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am 

Audiois1st wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I will borrow the Primare I32 Integrated when its offered by my dealer (it's in his showroom currently).

Now that I'm considering a Class D amplifier I've been looking at the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 integrated. This product interests me because it also offers room correction with RoomPerfect.

Would anyone have experience with the Lyngdorf integrated? How might it compare with the Primare?

Audiois1st

In 'LIFT85's opinion, the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 trounce Hegel, Bladelius and Primare I32. Anyway, I still recommend you to audition the Primare I32 before you decide to audition the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170.

Translated comments from https://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240266&page=2
Quote:
'LIFT85' says: >>I can recommend Lynfdorf TDAI-2170. Has it home for audition now, and I want to buy it! I have had the Hegel H160, H300, Bladelius Thor Mk3 and Vincent's biggest amplifier at my home for testing, the speakers are Dali Epicon2. In my opinion, Lyngdorf is the best, completely neutral with extremely accurate and dry bass using Roomperfect. None of the other mentioned candidates comes close to the bass character that Lyngdorf creates. The Lyngdorf has extreme resolution and is completely neutral. I don't look at the effect, but I can assure you it can play very loud without losing control throughout the register. In addition, I've also had Primare I32 at home for audition, and in my opinion the Primare I32 was clearly the worst candidate compared to the other mentioned competitors.<<

Translated comment from http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99522
Quote:
'Asteen' says: >>Had Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 for audition and have to say I was quite impressed by its ability! I have never listened to Class D amplifiers before - just read about it a little hist and here ... But as Class D technology has gradually grown up, I decided to borrow Lyngdorfi's newest shot on the tribe home for audition. After connecting power, speaker cables and spdif for digital transfer of the music, it was quite easy to measure the room through the guidance from the display. And here is a little warning; The sounds that the amplifier used to set the room correction with could have scared any cat from home and house forever !! During the first hour the Lyngdorf sounded like a semi-cheap Chinese transistor radio !! Really! Grit and ugly. Flat and compressed. I seriously wondered what the heck was wrong, and I pardoned my own Denon amp, which to my liking was a bargain for a quarter of Lyngdorf's price during the first listening hour. Fortunately, the Lyngdorf began to sound better and better, and after 8-10 music tracks (about 1 hour of listening), lightness and super details began to appear in the soundstage. I would say that the sound was so well-defined that I could hear that the drumstick that made the edge of the lily drum was made of Northern Norwegian pine trees! There was "space" around the individual instruments. Almost as if each instrument stood in its own room with its own acoustics. Artists were extremely present and authentic. My experience was that the Lyngdorf amp should "get started to deliver the best" - and so it delivered! I first understand now what people are talking about when they say digital amplifiers are boring. Those who like to listen to non-class D amps are those who likes the music to be colored. The Tdai 2170 delivers pure uncoloured music. And in my eyes it's a great tool! The Lyngdorf sounds extremely clean compared to the other amplifiers that are added with "dirty color" in their sound. My own Denon amp was simply dressed off to the skin and completely trounced by this Lyngdorf amp.<<

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/best-integrated-amp-4
Quote:
'snackeyep' says: >>Recently I was seeking the same class of integrated as you. I started with my mind set on the Pass Labs INT-150 thinking that was what I wanted (I have always dreamed of owning Pass Labs gear), but after reading reviews from some about how the amp lacks musicality I did more research and ended up buying a Primare i32. It has not disappointed.<<

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lyngdorf-discussion-thread.1580956/page-28
Quote:
'surayne' says: >>I've heard both brands, the Devialet 250 and 400 a few times and I now own a Lyngdorf 2200. Haven't heard the 2170 yet.<<

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/best-amplifier-dac-under-2000-pounds
Quote:
'Chr78' says: >>I have tried primare i32, the sound was too laid back and not enough punch.<<

'loneranger' says: >>Exposure 3010S2D , or even better, the Lyngdorf tdai 2170.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 am 

Hello everyone that contributed to this thread and those whom may have followed it,

I borrowed the Primare I32 integrated from my dealer and my observations are as follows;

The amp has a finesse to it in particular the lower frequencies. It also didn't need to be pushed hard to get ample volume out of it. I didn't fall in love with it so it will be going back but as an aside he also lent me a pair of CHORD Clearway Analogue RCA interconnects and a CHORD Chordette CuteHD DAC.

I noticed a difference right away (not so subtle difference) when using the CuteHD DAC. I love this DAC and although it's been superseded by the 2Qute I could happily live with this DAC for a long time.

I would recommend auditioning the I32 to anyone looking for an integrated amp, although it didn't suit me others may love it.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 am 

Just shows the Primare I32 doesn't suit everyone's ears. Hope you have the opportunity to audition Exposure 3010S2D and Lyngdorf tdai 2170 http://ahtresidential.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ampifier-best-of-2015.jpg

Attachment:
File comment: Lyngdorf TDAI-2170
151231.Lyngdorf6[1].jpg
151231.Lyngdorf6[1].jpg [ 234.85 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 am 

Audiois1st wrote:
... back but as an aside, he also lent me a pair of CHORD Clearway Analogue RCA interconnects and a CHORD Chordette CuteHD DAC.

I noticed a difference right away (not so subtle difference) when using the CuteHD DAC. I love this DAC and although it's been superseded by the 2Qute I could happily live with this DAC for a long time.

Congrats on the DAC purchase!

Another option to consider would be a tube preamp and ss amp.

My regular setup is a tube preamp and 80W tube monoblocks, but I'm constantly tweaking my monoblocks. When I have my monoblocks on the bench, I use a 240W SS amp as a replacement. The sound is very different between the two amps.

Rock recordings sound fabulous with the SS amp, but I listen to more jazz, classical, folk and female vocals which sound better with the tube amps.

Although I prefer the sound of the tube amps, I could quite comfortably live with the SS amp.

My Martin Logan Spires, however, love the extra wattage the SS amp delivers. Turning the volume knob to the 9:00 o'clock position shakes the foundations while that position merely represents a comfortable listening level with the tube monoblocks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am 

Hi NordicNorm,

Thanks regarding the DAC purchase.

I do in fact use a tube preamp and ss amp as one of my combinations. I like having different flavours of sound depending on my mood and music selection. Hence different combinations of components. Check out my components in my signature to see what I mean.

It's also good to have extra amps in case you have an amp on the bench. I don't like being without music because something is being repaired.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 am 

Audiois1st wrote:
I've also been experimenting with Class A tube amplification which I really like but my dealer has suggested that tubes "tend to sound very warm but slow and less dynamic. High quality Solid State Audio offers warmth and great dynamics."

There is a Unison Research - Unico Secondo - Hybrid for sale http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649392754-unison-research-unico-secondo-100-watt-hybrid-integrated-amp/?utm_source=featured_ad&utm_medium=web&utm_content=front&utm_campaign=649392754