Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 pm 

I'm a bit post happy the past few days, thanks for bearing with me. I purchased a nice little Sugden A25 the other day, and it arrived today. It's certainly getting on in years, that being a late 80's - 1990 model. I'm listening to it now with my tuner and Celestion SL6s, and it really does sound very good. Lots of detail and texture offered up here. I was told during a phone conversation that it did take a few minutes to come to life, and that it hadn't been used in some time. I accepted this fact, and still do, and I'm prepared to have some restorative work done. It does indeed take time, but only the right channel. Upon initial power up (after letting it come to room temperature for a few hours), the left channel produced sound, but the right did not. It was quiet for a minute or two, then became distant and muffled - but did come up completely after about 3-4 minutes, maybe 5. I listened to my tuner through the Sugden, then spun some vinyl for 40 minutes - really happy with the sound quality of this little thing. Ran it for about 2-3 hours, so up to a nice warm operating temperature. `I shut it down for about 10-15 minutes to re-dress some cabling and change the rack positioning, but upon powering it up the same thing occurred - took a few minutes for the right channel to come on stream. Once "alive", it sounds clean and clear, no distortion, and the channels sound even in output with a good centre image.

My thought is tired caps. Any other possibilities? I'm going to leave it on for a few days, then shut it down again to see what happens upon power up. If the amp had not run for awhile prior, could it takes a few days for caps to fully charge? Or is that unlikely?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 am 

I did not look up the repair manual before posting to see if there is a protect relay. Outside of caps which 'may' need attention, the protect relay can be a bit weaker with age on one side. They don't usually improve with warmth in my experience, but again, not having looked it up, the location within and type may be lead to acting this way.
If you open the cabinet, locate it and gently tap relay with an inert prod you may get an immediate result in sound quality. If no relay... and if it does same on all inputs equally, i would agree a cap is letting you down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am 

Thanks Sasklite for chiming in. I will play with it over the weekend to determine whether there is a relationship between the length of time powered down, and the length of time that it takes for the right channel to come up. I left it on overnight, turned it off for a few seconds this morning, and upon powering up again, the channel came up right away. I'll see what happens over the weekend.