Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Amp hum
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
I've had hum in every preamp I've had in my set up.I have a low grade hum in both my phono stage and my preamp.Both of the preamps are on the same dedicated line with a MOV surge suppressor.Could the surge protector be causing any thing?Also my amp is on a totally different line connected by a long balanced IC.When I disconnect the balanced cable it has no response on the hum in the preamps...I've had an integrated and a different preamp on the dedicated line and both pieces have gone in to a DC fault shut down...So it appears that DC offset could be a problem.....Anybody have any ideas on how to check for DC offset or how to cure the problem.I've just learned to live with the low grade hum.....

Checking for DC offset by trying your multi-meter in a wall socket while set to "DC" is likely to result in an accident. That surge suppressor will likely just pass along the DC to your gear.

Emotiva CMX-2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:58 am 

Best solution, use that TV as a boat anchor..... I didn't know anyone still owned one of those..LED TV's are ridiculously cheap now.. as for connections, there are adapters for everything...The older TV's also emitted a magnetic pull, slight but there.. just ask a Nak Dragon owner with a Auto Azimuth... ! Possibly the best cassette deck ever made... dating myself now...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
I've had hum in every preamp I've had in my set up.I have a low grade hum in both my phono stage and my preamp.Both of the preamps are on the same dedicated line with a MOV surge suppressor.Could the surge protector be causing any thing?Also my amp is on a totally different line connected by a long balanced IC.When I disconnect the balanced cable it has no response on the hum in the preamps...I've had an integrated and a different preamp on the dedicated line and both pieces have gone in to a DC fault shut down...So it appears that DC offset could be a problem.....Anybody have any ideas on how to check for DC offset or how to cure the problem.I've just learned to live with the low grade hum.....

Might be a good idea to have a look at that dedicated line from service panel to outlet.Something sounds strange.
Seems anything you plug in has problems.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 am 

andym wrote:
Hi Guys,
I just found the culprit.It the cathode ray tube TV that I have seating in the cabinet over the amp.(Please don't laugh :wink: ..I don't watch TV but for the odd video, this old TV does the trick).
The easiest fix would be to move those two apart but not my favorite option right now.Can I use an "insulator" between the TV and the amp? Does this hum, although annoying but not audible from were I seat, affect SQ?
Thanks

BUT the question I have is, did the hum just happen since the placement of the TV or is it something that just started. IF it indeed just started and the TV has been there for a while already then there is another underlying issue at hand here somewhere.
(btw...I like old CRT tube TV's...nice warm pic...and cats like sitting on them...but I digress)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm 

I had a similar issue with my pro audio gear when I was djing and then someone recommended that I plug everything into the same power bar. That fixed it. Masybe give that a try (if you haven't already).