Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Schiit Freya Users?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:11 pm 

David Zimmerman wrote:
Fair question.

I mean that the actual Freya emits clicks as the volume is turned up or down....

It's a 128-Step Relay Attenuator - the clicking is normal. Personally I don't mind it at all.

-- 31 May 2017 00:25 --

My Freya arrived today. I am using the Freya with a Gungnir Multibit and a Bryston 4B3. Everything is fully balanced.

So far I'm very happy with it. Schiit was out of stock for some time so I bought a Saga from a CAM member to use until the Freya arrived. Once it has some hours on it I'll post more thoughts.

I will be rolling the tubes but one thing to keep in mind that I didn't realize - the opening for the tubes is quite small. If you're a fan of Psvane or ShuGuang Treasure for example they won't fit - oddly enough they fit in the Saga. I have some tube savers on order and am thinking they may give the tubes enough of a lift - here's hoping. I guess if it doesn't work I'll be selling them here on CAM.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 pm 

I'll be watching for your impressions. Most of the Freya threads in other forums turn into tube rolling threads, and I'm not the least bit interested in that aspect. I'm wondering how good the imaging and detail is for the Freya. It sure looks good for $699.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 am 

They will turn into tube rolling threads because the stock tubes are just adequate to sell the product and get it out the door for a reasonable price. Some stock tubes are better than others but the general consensus amongst bottleheads is to swap in better sounding tubes. If stock floats your boat then carry on but I'll bet after a while curiosity will get the best of you and you'll try different tubes. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:24 am 

Mine had the stock tubes fail within two weeks. Not complete failure but noisy and unusable in tube mode because of it. I returned mine and got a full refund. I had no interest in going back down that tube rolling rabbit hole and wasn't prepared to live with the shortcomings of the pre wrt how it changes inputs, clicky volume control and that pos remote that they give you with it. Seriously, you get a better remote with a $50 dvd player. And they charge $18 for a replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 am 

How did the refund go? Did you still have to pay shipping and customs/duty? And a transaction fee?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:35 pm 

I got full refund, I guess due to the defective tubes. I had to fill out a form and send it to RevCanada and provide proof of return to get tax back. I was only out the shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm 

I have new tubes on order but finding the stock tubes to be pretty good - better than I expected. That said I can see where better tubes will be a great benefit. I had tubes ready to go but they don't fit through the opening.

I'm really enjoying the Freya. Imaging is good -width and depth, detail is crisp and the base really comes through (at least in tube mode). Overall I'm thrilled and will definitely be keeping it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:17 pm 

petersch wrote:
They will turn into tube rolling threads because the stock tubes are just adequate to sell the product and get it out the door for a reasonable price. Some stock tubes are better than others but the general consensus amongst bottleheads is to swap in better sounding tubes. If stock floats your boat then carry on but I'll bet after a while curiosity will get the best of you and you'll try different tubes. :wink:

Well, my point was I will not be using any tubes. So I'm not interested in reading post after post on some guy's impression of a red RCA tube. I want to hear about the sound qualities of the jfet mode, that's all I'm interested in, I'll probably have to buy one to find out!

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:58 pm 

Just received my Northern Electric 6SN7's (Canadian Made). I purchased two and put them on the right side. Needless to say it's early as they have only been running for a few hours but so far very good.

I'll post my impressions after a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am 

impact_digital wrote:
I will be rolling the tubes but one thing to keep in mind that I didn't realize - the opening for the tubes is quite small. If you're a fan of Psvane or ShuGuang Treasure for example they won't fit - oddly enough they fit in the Saga. I have some tube savers on order and am thinking they may give the tubes enough of a lift - here's hoping. I guess if it doesn't work I'll be selling them here on CAM.

Did the tube savers give you enough space to allow you to use your other tubes?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 pm 

So apparently Schiit just released their companion amplifier to go with the Freya, the Vidar. 100 wpc stereo amp with 200 wpc at 4 ohms. It bridges to 400 watts. Made in the US. No caps or servos in the signal path. 5 year warranty. It sounds pretty interesting.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm 
Premium User

Very interesting product. If anyone buys them as mono amps please report back!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 pm 

There's a forum called Head fi, and it's a big headphones forum that has lots of Schiit owners on board. They've got a lot of early Vidar owners already reporting that in mono form, these amps are something special. Of course you need to employ XLR cables, which means a pre with such outputs. Luckily the Freya has them already!

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm 
Premium User

runnin wrote:
Well, my point was I will not be using any tubes. So I'm not interested in reading post after post on some guy's impression of a red RCA tube. I want to hear about the sound qualities of the jfet mode, that's all I'm interested in, I'll probably have to buy one to find out!

I totally hear where you're coming from. It would be great to read how the Freya (in general, but yes, certainly the JFET mode) compares to other preamps. It's purported to be a "giant killer", so let us is on which giants it has slain, kinda thing.

I've got a Vidar and a Saga now. Previously I had an Ayre V-1xe (and before that the V-5xe), and a K-3x, but had to downsize. I no longer have the Totem THE ONEs that I had—now I've got some KEF Reference 102/2s—so it's difficult to determine just how much things have changed, preamp and amp-wise. I'm also without the Gungnir Multibit; I'm using a Modi Multibit and Pono Player for now. My first Saga's left channel also decided to crap out after two days as well (turnaround for the replacement that I got today was quick and painless though). What I can say for sure thus far though is this Schiit's damn impressive for the money. I'm far less picky about home theatre gear, but even if I won the lottery, the Vidar would be all I'd ever need for centre and rear channel(s) duty (and ditto for a second system, etc.).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am 

Thanks for giving your impressions Turdski, your impressions mirror many on a Head fi forum thread I've been following to glean informaition on the Vidar. On their pre, the Freya seems to have more gain on the tube setting than the others, so you have to run up the volume to past 12 noon. I'm not sure what to make of that, but overall the pre and amp apparently are quite neutral sounding with lots of detail.

I just bought a pair of Rainmakers, so I wish you still had the Totems, oh well!

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next