Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Schiit Freya Users?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 pm 

Its great when a company does not take itself too seriously...

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Quote:
Wait another sec. Are you saying that if I plug my phone charger into the power-only USB input, that means the Fulla 2 tells my computer that it doesn’t need any power?
Yes. Or your phone, or tablet, or any other device plugged into the Data/Power USB port. Technically, Fulla 2 tells your computer or phone it needs the full 500mA a USB2 port can supply, unless you plug in a separate power USB, in which case, it tells your computer or phone that it needs 0mA.

So, also on this USB power thing, does that mean I can use a super-crazy linear supply that costs 3X as much as the Fulla 2 to get better performance?
Go back and read what you just asked. Seriously, just use your phone charger or something.

Yeah, I hear you, but I really really really want to spend a lot of money on a linear power supply that does nothing!
We understand. And you should be free to waste your money any way you'd like. But really, your super-pristine linear supply with the Regurgitson Ultraregulators isn't gonna do anything, since it's running through a switching supply anyway. You know, just like lots of other, more expensive products do...except we tell you this, and don't encourage you to throw money down the loo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:29 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
Its great when a company does not take itself too seriously...

It is refreshing, although in a company this size the principals are close to the marketing. And they are both experienced in the industry. Jason's blog/thread was interesting to read. I like the fact that my product is upgradeable, and had the Freya been available when I was seeking a tube pre, I may well have gone for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm 
Premium User

Well Schiit, I just ordered a Freya and Yggdrasil today. Totally couldn't really afford to buy them right now, but very much excited to try them both out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:36 pm 

Turdski wrote:
Well Schiit, I just ordered a Freya and Yggdrasil today. Totally couldn't really afford to buy them right now, but very much excited to try them both out.

Congratulations!!!

...how I wish you were located in Edmonton haha! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm 

Turdski wrote:
msommers wrote:

On SBAF and Head-Fi, Schiit gets hyped like it's the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, I have two pieces of their higher-end headphone pieces (Gungir Multi-Bit DAC and Mjolnir 2) that I enjoy and quite intrigued by their 2.0 gear coming up - especially their power amp which appears to be incredibly well designed.

The Mjolnir 2 I did not like as a pre-amp but the Gungir definitely has better performance than the dac in my Hegel H360 (really want to try the Yggy).

Haha. I hear you. It can be a bit of an echo chamber on those places for sure. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Gungnir Multibit. I miss that thing. Had to downsize my system last summer after taking a nice long break from working. I too would like to try the Yggdrasil. Thanks for relaying your experience using the Mjolnir 2 as a preamp. I have been strongly considering picking up one to use primarily as a preamp in my two channel system in the short term (my balanced cable for my Hifimans would also reach my nearby computer desk), and eventually I'd have it at my desk where my Lyr 2 currently sits. Good to know that it didn't do it for you as a preamp. I think their Vali 2 is incredible for the money, and I gather their Jotunheim is as well. Anyhow, I've already picked up two pairs of late 50s Sylvania 6SN7GTB, along with some 6N9S Reflektors, to (possibly) eventually try with the Freya. EDIT: Also, yes: that Vidar looks very good!

nutella wrote:
Freya arrived yesterday afternoon and I hooked it up after dinner. I won't yet comment on the sound yet as it currently has only been on for a little over 12 hours. It is a nice solid piece of gear, excellent finish especially at the price. I placed the order Sunday morning. Received shipping confirmation Monday morning and it was in my hands Tuesday afternoon.

I'll post an update tonight when I get a chance to listen a little better. Along with associated gear. Stay tuned.

I'm looking forward to that as well!

Around 60 hours in and I am not ready to post on this product yet. I have some balanced cables coming my way and I'll wait until they arrive before I make any final judgements. My amp (Plinius Sa100III) performs best with balanced inputs which i used with my Lamm L1 before I sold it. And which was why I chose the Freya over the Saga.
You see, when my twins were born I thought I could still enjoy this hobby but soon found hobbies can be tough to enjoy when life gets so busy. So the Lamm went, the Plinius so heavy stayed for a while powering the Confidence C2's also so heavy. I thought I'd eventually get rid of these behemoths but I enjoyed the occasional session, even through the setup was not ideal.
A great room for ht with a projector and a decent Pioneer HT receiver became the preamp which I enjoyed and eventually I got my Basis 2500 TT out to make sure it worked before I sold it. But it sounded great, even through the old 20 year old Audiolab 8000 integrated used as a phono pre, and sometimes even as a full pre had its limitations the music still blew me away. It became a better setup than I had ever had wrt room and speaker positioning (not equipment) and so with my twins approaching their tenth birthday and being able to enjoy what I have a little more often I decided to keep what I had and get a better pre to replace the Pioneer HT receiver pre and the Audiolab 20 year old integrated doubling as a pre and get something a little more like what I had before. Oh and also the Bidat, you know the updated Bidat which you will have to pry from my cold, dead hands. I've had one of those for a very long while.
Having been to slow jumping on a few options for sale on Cam I decided to go for the Schitt.

And that is all I have to say for now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 am 

Given that C1 platinums have been in my crosshairs for awhile now, this is going to be interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 am 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
Turdski wrote:

Congratulations!!!

...how I wish you were located in Edmonton haha! :D

Haha, you and me both. Vancouver is the most overrated, insular, expensive, relatively unfriendly city, in my most humblest of opinions.

Anyhow. Since the Ayre preamp I had an eye on sold, I opted for those two Schiit components, which cost about the same as the former flagship Ayre pre. So, perhaps the better decision anyways, at least for now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:16 am 
Premium User

How's your Freya treating you, nutella?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 am 

I have also recently taken the plunge and bought the Freya as I wanted a pre with a remote and the price was right (almost right as the $699 USD came to about $1100 CAD after shipping and border tax). Love the fact that I can switch from passive, to JFET, to tube buffers. Been liking what Schiit has been making since I got my Gungnir DAC a few years back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:40 am 

Hello---

I ordered a Freya directly from Schiit... and had it in my system for just a few days.
Its idiosyncrasies bothered me too much to keep it:
The volume pot clicks like mad.... very disconcerting.
The gain on the three preamp settings [tube, active SS, and passive SS] are wildly different... which requires constant re-adjusting if one wishes to ABC them on the fly, which is supposed to be one of the virtues of the preamp.... experimenting with different setting..

I also tried two other Schiit products.... DACs [Bifrost Multibit and Gungnir Multibit], and found the clicking they made, when the the associated transports went into "pause mode," intolerable. It was not the transports that I tried with the DACs, because Schiit informed that the clicking is simply an artifact of their particular engineering approach to their DACs.

General impression: Schiit products are nicely made, and certainly relatively inexpensive.... and they do have that modest "craft feel" to them.

However, their quirks are just too much to put up with.

This was extremely disappointing, since small companies like Schiit, who manufacture their products [mostly] in North America are in general to be supported.

But not in this case.

Sincerely.... David Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hey David, I am not sure I understand what you mean by the pot clicks. Is this when you're adjusting it and it makes an audible sound through the speakers or something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:09 pm 

Fair question.

I mean that the actual Freya emits clicks as the volume is turned up or down....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm 

David Zimmerman wrote:
Fair question.

I mean that the actual Freya emits clicks as the volume is turned up or down....

I don't mind the click sound. Freya does a lot of things really well, so I kept mine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm 

Here's my update on the Freya.
I sent mine back. Tubes got noisy and microphonic. Basically unusable in tube mode after a week. Bad tube batch I guess so nothing against schiit. It happens I guess.
I really needed a pre with a ssp but this pre had me curious so I gave it a try. Good sounding but switching inputs and volome clicks were annoying. Having to toggle all the way through 5 inputs is a nuisance.
Basically when the tubes went I decided to
Send it back. Did the tube rolling game before and didn't want to play that game again. That rabbit hole is deep.
I sent it back because the return policy is so generous. Even got full credit because of the defective tubes no questions asked. Great company and I'll be trying other products from them.

Edit: If this model had a ssp pass through and better input selection I likely would have kept it. Truly a great value for the dollar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm 

David Zimmerman wrote:
Hello---

I also tried two other Schiit products.... DACs [Bifrost Multibit and Gungnir Multibit], and found the clicking they made, when the the associated transports went into "pause mode," intolerable. It was not the transports that I tried with the DACs, because Schiit informed that the clicking is simply an artifact of their particular engineering approach to their DACs.

General impression: Schiit products are nicely made, and certainly relatively inexpensive.... and they do have that modest "craft feel" to them.

However, their quirks are just too much to put up with.

This was extremely disappointing, since small companies like Schiit, who manufacture their products [mostly] in North America are in general to be supported.

But not in this case.

Sincerely.... David Zimmerman

I recently purchased an Yggdrasil and yes it does click when locking on to a new bitstream say for example 16/44 to 24/96 but other than that as long as the source is out putting a signal yggy will stay locked on to it ..how ever.. I do have a cheaper/lower quality transport and every time I press stop and or play it clicks...this constant clicking is not existent with my good CD transport..
So I would attribute the constant clicking to lower quality gear feeding Iggy..

My time with Yggdrasil has been most pleasant and opened a new era of listening pleasure from my existing and new music...

It's most unfortunate that we as Canadians get double butt ****** when buying from our southern Neighbors... $2300 USD = $3400 CAD

HIT-Audio CD-22 Vacuum Tube/transistor/digital output, SCHIIT, Yggdrasil DAC, ARC-LS26 preamp- Bryston 7B3 monoblocks, ELAC FS 209.2 Speakers, JAS Audio SUPER RIBBON tweeters, ACCOUSTIC ZEN Interconnects/speaker cables-Laptop-JRIVER media/Tidal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next