Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

PM Sent... :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

I can't say I have a lot of experience to draw upon but...

I found what - for me, for now - is very satisfying in having a tube pre-amp feeding my Class D power Amp.

I had a Rogue Audio Sphinx Model 1...I wanted to love it, but it had a noise issue, that has been reported by others. I've heard others complain here and there about Rogue..but others praise it top to bottom. It sounded good but for me the noise was too much to deal with, we're talking real amplifier hash type noise, NOT DC or transformer hum. No doubt I had a unit with some issues as not way the audiophile world would have accepted what I was dealing with, but it was used and out of warranty so...it's in my second less demanding system now.

I've since moved to an older model Blue Circle tube Pre BC 21.1 and a Wyred4Sound ST-500 MkII which I'm really enjoying. My speakers are not behemoths by any means but it really can push them nice and hard but with aplomb.

I'll admit have never had a Tube based power unit as I'm a relative rookie to this game - not in age but time focusing on pure 2 channel. Curiosity will likely eventually have me visit that but for now I'm a happy camper with the tube pre - power D combo.

My unqualified summary would be for the price - unless your in financial distress - some of the units out there give great performance for the price.

Deep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm 

RoyHifi wrote:
It's looking like class d amplifiers are really starting to take hold in the Audiophile world. For myself, I need a break from my tube amp. I'm now needing a high powered compact amp. Class d seems promising? If you have had experience with class d amps I would very appreciate your insight.

Also, what makes are out there? Can any be purchased here in TO?

NORD Hypex N-Core.

pj