Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:42 am 

Hi,

Given the low British pound you might want to look at this.

Bantam Monoblock Amplifier - Ony 40 wats into 4 Ohms and about 25 Wats into 8 ohms but very reasonably priced.

http://www.templeaudio.net/monoblock.html

The only solid state amps that have been able to compete with my early decware Single Ended amps. ( I don't have the latest decware stuff). The amps also have adjustable gain (in the power amp section) thus enabling fine tuning the sound.

Yo can use multiple modules and go active ---if you have an external crossover.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:32 am 

BKSRT8 wrote:
Is a class d gonna keep up with an A or A/B in resolution and detail?

I cant imagine trading in a good tube amp for a class d...or are the current class d amps really that good?

My Cary CAI 1 Integrated is as open and detailed as any separates or integrated I have ever owned, and I have owned lots. This unit replaced an Exposure 2010S2 and is a notch better soically but has power to spare, and I am driving Mangepans with ease. Considering the cost, I believe I am officially a class D guy now, my sub is also class D. My next amp will be a Rogue Pharaoh.

Just a note on keeping an open mind and being objective, there was a time that I said I would never own an integrated amp and I was not a believer in class D technology, but my ears changed my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 am 

Thanks for all the replies! I'm really leaning on buying a class d. It's a bit of a waste, but I'll keep/store the tube amp. Looking forward to demo'ing a few..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 am 

I've been using my Spectron for years now and it's a keeper for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:47 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

In my opinion, the best Class D amplifiers do not take a back seat at all. There are many brands, right from the low end up to seriously high end brands that are now having some Class D amps performing at a very high calibre.

Just to list a few:
Bel Canto (especially their new ncore products, such as the REF600M and Bel Canto Black)
Merrill Audio
April Music
Jeff Rowland
Spectron
Chapter Audio had some wickedly good amps
even Burmester!

Class A and Class AB will always be around, but the advancement in Class D or Class D variants mean that they are real players now and even moreso in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am 

Everest Audio wrote:
In my opinion, the best Class D amplifiers do not take a back seat at all. There are many brands, right from the low end up to seriously high end brands that are now having some Class D amps performing at a very high calibre.

Just to list a few:
Bel Canto (especially their new ncore products, such as the REF600M and Bel Canto Black)
Merrill Audio
April Music
Jeff Rowland
Spectron
Chapter Audio had some wickedly good amps
even Burmester!

Class A and Class AB will always be around, but the advancement in Class D or Class D variants mean that they are real players now and even moreso in the future.

Don't forget the Devialet. A friend who owns a pair of KEF Blade speakers uses the Devialet LE 400 monoblocks to drive them with excellent results. The sound is just like music with no harshness, or sounding sterile or any of the other negatives things that Class "D" design topology most people tends to associate with. I find them to be very neutral and natural sounding with excellent articulation. But it is quite expensive, however.

Last edited by tube54 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:14 pm 

I'm pretty sure Trend is a class T Amp.... not a class D.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Robbie California wrote:
I'm pretty sure Trend is a class T Amp.... not a class D.

Class T is just a variant of Class D. More marketing than anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 am 

RoyHifi wrote:
It's looking like class d amplifiers are really starting to take hold in the Audiophile world. For myself, I need a break from my tube amp. I'm now needing a high powered compact amp. Class d seems promising? If you have had experience with class d amps I would very appreciate your insight.

Also, what makes are out there? Can any be purchased here in TO?

check out Class D Audio diy & built amps very cheap,takes a while to break in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Lindemann has 2 amplifiers that would fit your criteria.

http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/the-universal-music-source/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

Class D Audio out of California makes a very nice sounding and affordable amp .I am currently running a set of EMT lft8b actively using their four channel amp driving the highs and lows with a tube hybrid for the mids with a tube pre amp sounds awesome. Depending on model has balanced outs and variable gain. Great bang for the buck amp especially if you want to just try it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:04 pm 

Spectron Musician III mk II
50 lbs Class D
Owned 4 monos for the past decade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:17 pm 

Any old timers out there who remember what kind of amp sony put out in the late seventies that was class d or something like it ? If I remember correctly, it was copper colored.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm 

No one, including me in my previous post, has mentioned the Yamaha "P" series.

I've been using the P7000S (class D, switching power supply, rated 650/950 wpc @ 8/4 ohms) for several months now, both as a full-range amp driving a pair of rebuilt Tannoy SGM15B and as a mid-hi amp, driving, above 100 Hz, a pair of Tannoy T300 SuperDual.

Like most pro amps, it's fan-cooled, but the fans never come on: I guess that, as a home listener, I'm just not driving it hard enough to trigger the fans. It also has built-in, variable, 12 dB hi-pass and lo-pass filters, handy if you're biamping.

I like it better than the newer Lab-Gruppen IPD series that I also recommend.

The P7000S is no longer in production, but as it was a popular PA amp, lots of used ones come up, typically for around $500-700.

Fact is, I find I've gotten rid of most of my class A and AB audiophile amps...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:07 pm 

Class D, is often referred to as Digital - and Digital (likewise "d"); However, this is not necessarily correct.

I have a "Class D" chip amp - I've used it in a small office system was instantly surprised (and impressed) with it's performance. A good Class D will run very efficiently and can have a extremely engaging sonic signature...In fact, my "little d" ended up being moved from the office to a pair of side-loaded full-range horns.

Anyhow, I thought (up and until recently) that "d amps" were primarily popular with budget minded folks or those into the "DYI" hobby. They also seemed popular in some Home-Theater & professional applications. That opinion was shattered when I bought a brand new Technics "Class D" (full digital) amplifier. Exceptional sounding, and (like many of you) I've complied a massive reference point over the years owning anything from MacIntosh to Luxman, tube to solid state -- my experience in ownership far exceeds over 40 different amps in about 15 years.

Long story made short, Class "D" can be VERY VERY good with no disappointments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next