Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

PM Sent... :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

I can't say I have a lot of experience to draw upon but...

I found what - for me, for now - is very satisfying in having a tube pre-amp feeding my Class D power Amp.

I had a Rogue Audio Sphinx Model 1...I wanted to love it, but it had a noise issue, that has been reported by others. I've heard others complain here and there about Rogue..but others praise it top to bottom. It sounded good but for me the noise was too much to deal with, we're talking real amplifier hash type noise, NOT DC or transformer hum. No doubt I had a unit with some issues as not way the audiophile world would have accepted what I was dealing with, but it was used and out of warranty so...it's in my second less demanding system now.

I've since moved to an older model Blue Circle tube Pre BC 21.1 and a Wyred4Sound ST-500 MkII which I'm really enjoying. My speakers are not behemoths by any means but it really can push them nice and hard but with aplomb.

I'll admit have never had a Tube based power unit as I'm a relative rookie to this game - not in age but time focusing on pure 2 channel. Curiosity will likely eventually have me visit that but for now I'm a happy camper with the tube pre - power D combo.

My unqualified summary would be for the price - unless your in financial distress - some of the units out there give great performance for the price.

Deep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm 

RoyHifi wrote:
It's looking like class d amplifiers are really starting to take hold in the Audiophile world. For myself, I need a break from my tube amp. I'm now needing a high powered compact amp. Class d seems promising? If you have had experience with class d amps I would very appreciate your insight.

Also, what makes are out there? Can any be purchased here in TO?

NORD Hypex N-Core.

pj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am 

Been an audiophile for 45 years. Never been more impressed with an amp. Talking about the Crown XLS drivecore series. Light, quiet, powerful, and versatile. And more detailed than the NAD M25 that is being dethroned. <Edited by Mod.>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm 

The new Icepower 1200AS module is actually quite fantastic. I just replaced my tube amp with one. I was skeptical on my way to my first listening session but quickly realized it has a slightly warmish and very liquid sound. It reminds me a lot of tubes but with added resolution and weight, at least in comparison with my previous amp (Audio Note OTO SE). I've listened to the amp on both my Audio Note AN-e's (98db eff) and a couple different pairs of open baffle (GR Research variants). In each case, it literally woke the speakers up! Mivera Audio in Kelowna BC has just started shipping the first lots of their amps out and the first few owners received them late last week. Reviews should start coming in on the listening impressions thread that has been opened up over at Audio Circle.......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 pm 

Another brand to consider is NuPrime. Lots of good reviews for the price.
I use their DAC-9, haven't heard their amps, but if the DAC is anything to go buy, it is a well worth proposition.

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 pm 
Premium User

pdg540 wrote:
The new Icepower 1200AS module is actually quite fantastic. I just replaced my tube amp with one. I was skeptical on my way to my first listening session but quickly realized it has a slightly warmish and very liquid sound. It reminds me a lot of tubes but with added resolution and weight, at least in comparison with my previous amp (Audio Note OTO SE). I've listened to the amp on both my Audio Note AN-e's (98db eff) and a couple different pairs of open baffle (GR Research variants). In each case, it literally woke the speakers up! Mivera Audio in Kelowna BC has just started shipping the first lots of their amps out and the first few owners received them late last week. Reviews should start coming in on the listening impressions thread that has been opened up over at Audio Circle.......

Has he settled on a case yet?

I noticed Nord offers the 1200AS2 power amps as a lower cost solution vs. their Hypex NC500 based products. They state the 1200AS2 sits just below the NC500 in sound quality.

Have you had a chance to compare the Two? A close friend in Armstrong has the Nord NC500 I can borrow if you wanted to do a comparison at some point. I'm always interested in new Class D tech, especially with summer not so far away. My Pass Labs amp is basically a space heater.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm 

James_W wrote:
pdg540 wrote:

I noticed Nord offers the 1200AS2 power amps as a lower cost solution vs. their Hypex NC500 based products. They state the 1200AS2 sits just below the NC500 in sound quality.

Have you had a chance to compare the Two? A close friend in Armstrong has the Nord NC500 I can borrow if you wanted to do a comparison at some point. I'm always interested in new Class D tech, especially with summer not so far away. My Pass Labs amp is basically a space heater.

Serves you right for selling me that ModWright that generates almost as much heat as my pellet stove. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm 

James_W wrote:
pdg540 wrote:

Hey James. I've heard the 400 but not the 500. I think a comparo is a great idea. I'll wait til I pick up my new new case so u can get a look. The case is settled - Aluminum slabs were cut here in Kelowna last week and on their way to Vancouver for remaining processing I think. I'm sure Mike will post photos of the process and finished product as soon as he can.

I'm not sure Nord had a choice where to put the Icepower in it's lineup knowing there's a cowboy in Kelowna selling completed amps for $1k USD...... In any case, some of the purchasers of these Ice amps also have NC500's so no doubt we'll see some meaningful feedback soon......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am 

Who is the cowboy in Kelowna selling completed amps for $1k USD..... :shock:
Any link.... :wink:

DAP: Fiio X1II PSB M4U-1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am 
Premium User

https://www.miveraaudio.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 am 

James_W wrote:
https://www.miveraaudio.com

Thanks/Merci.

DAP: Fiio X1II PSB M4U-1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am 

Just curious, anyone have experiences with ATI?

http://www.ati-amp.com/AT54XNC.php

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

Recently upgraded my Linn speakers to active (after only 23 years of driving them passive :mrgreen: ) using an external crossover. Needed two stereo amps of course, and considered the usual suspects, Linn LK85/140, among others. Space being at a premium (even though the LK85 are quite compact) I decided to take a flyer and bought a pair of the Temple Audio Bantam Gold stereo amps. These are literally the size of four CD jewel cases stacked, without power supplies.
I thought these would give me a taste of the active sound to see what it was all about, and perhaps be a stepping stone to something “better”.
Five months later, the Bantam Gold pair have not been displaced, and in fact I enjoyed the sound enough to replace the cheap SMPS with a pair of Teddy Pardo linear supplies.
Bass slam was prodigious with the stock supplies, treble a touch dry compared to prior tube amplification, not surprising. After adding the linear supplies the bass quantity and drive remained, and the bass quality improved, as did realism on well recorded pieces.
For someone seeking an integrated amp, the Bantam One integrated amp with passive preamp stage should be a tasty sounding amp, what with a high quality linear power supply on board.
No regrets going to Class D for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm 
Premium User

I've got the excellent Nord One SE NC500 in house with the Sonic Imagery 994 op amps. Just waiting on a Mivera Audio Icepower 1200AS2 amp to become available so I can do a comparison. I'll report back with impressions.

Attachments:
20180209_143426.jpg
20180209_143426.jpg [ 193.19 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]