Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:39 am 

It's looking like class d amplifiers are really starting to take hold in the Audiophile world. For myself, I need a break from my tube amp. I'm now needing a high powered compact amp. Class d seems promising? If you have had experience with class d amps I would very appreciate your insight.

Also, what makes are out there? Can any be purchased here in TO?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:50 am 

As far as I know, the only really "big name" high end company using "D" class is Jeff Rowland... I could be wrong, but myself, not going near it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:07 pm 

Class D can be excellent.

If you want an integrated the Rouge Sphinx is hard to beat.
The Rotel ICEPower amps are also a good value.

Class D is not new, has not been new for years, and is well worth giving a listen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm 

I had Flying Moles that sounded great. Tiny, light, no heat and lots of power. Classe, Rogue, Bel Canto, Rotel, Blue Circle all make Class D stuff. So do a bunch of other people. There is nothing to fear here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:17 pm 

http://en.devialet.com/expert/#models/

This company has been getting some press coverage lately with their Class AD hybrid design.
There are some dealers in the GTA, have to search for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:32 pm 
Premium User

Anything Hypex. Try and get a NAD M22 on demo so you can get a taste. Rogue uses it in the Sphinx and Pharaoh as well. Benchmark's AHB2 is a killer amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:42 pm 

I love the Rogue story and the looks of their amps.
But, I think the american dollar differential might add a big chunk to your purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:48 pm 

I was aware of Rowland and Bel Canto doing class D amplification, but not NAD, Rogue, Rotel or Benchmark.

I'll put into the hat the Gilmore Audio amps:

http://www.glacieraudio.com/new%20Glaci ... e-amps.htm

Then there are Class D Audio amps, in particular the Studio Mastering Amplifier, which might be the greatest value of all in the class:

http://www.classdaudio.com/class-d-audi ... ion_tabbed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:26 pm 

Hi,

CAM members are posting that they are using Class D pro audio amps for home reproduction. 350 to 500 Watts would be plenty and people seem to like the Crowns and QSC models. Hard to beat the price on a per watt basis. Very good for livening up older power hungry vintage paper cone designs. Nu Force makes Class D amps like the 9.2 that are well regarded. Audio Zone is now into the second generation of Class D design. They are super fast. I have heard them with Nola Boxers and they are very good. Only time will tell, but I think Class D is inevitable for 'big power'. Hernia inducing big iron amps will still be around but less loved.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:48 pm 

RoyHifi wrote:
It's looking like class d amplifiers are really starting to take hold in the Audiophile world. For myself, I need a break from my tube amp. I'm now needing a high powered compact amp. Class d seems promising? If you have had experience with class d amps I would very appreciate your insight.
Also, what makes are out there? Can any be purchased here in TO?

I have the Wryed4 Sound 1kw monoblocks and love 'em. The improvement in dynamic range was quite noticeable from my former beast of a class A amp. I run large floor standers. Never going back. And with ontario's electricity going up up up and up you may not want to spend the $$ to run class A anymore...

In canada check out the Axiom audio offerings at http://www.axiomaudio.com/1500-amplifier. Very good price and an excellent business. I have owned a number of their speakers and was quite happy with the product and the service.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:37 pm 

Is a class d gonna keep up with an A or A/B in resolution and detail?

I cant imagine trading in a good tube amp for a class d...or are the current class d amps really that good?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 pm 

Bang & Olufsen's ICEpower division makes a bunch of Class D "plug & play" amplifier "modules" used by various amplifier companies. They are not pure Class D though, they are a hybrid design of sorts.

Their 1000ASP module is (was) the most powerful of the bunch at 500w/ch @ 8ohms & doubling that into 4ohms.
The most common amp they were used in was the Bel Canto Ref e1000 & the smaller 500ASP's in their e500.
There's not much that has to be done to these modules, basically just add the case & connectors so most ICE amps are more alike than different.
Other companies using these modules are: Wyred4Sound, D-Sonic, Jeff Rowland in the 201's & 501's, Rotel in the 1091 & 1092's, Red Dragon, PS Audio used to, and I believe Halcro used to as well.
Their latest ASX series are supposed to be even better and some of the companies above are using those too now.
I personally love them. I've had quite a few different amps with these modules and I couldn't tell you the difference between any of them regardless of power. I currently have a D-Sonic with 7 of the 1000ASP's in it.

I also have a NAD 3020D which sounds ridiculously good for the money. Pure Class D amps are basically DAC's so if you're feeding a Class D amp with a digital signal there's only one conversion at the output stage. This is why a while back people were being blown away by the inexpensive Panasonic XR series being fed through coax.

One of the best all digital setups I've heard was a TaCT system that also did room correction. In today's digital streaming world, I'm very surprised that Class D isn't more prevalent. It sounds incredible when done right. Plus Class D amplification isn't expensive to manufacture, so caveat emptor as to what brands you seek out.

-- 05 Jul 2016 23:07 --

BKSRT8 wrote:

I cant imagine trading in a good tube amp for a class d...or are the current class d amps really that good?

The Bel Canto's I mentioned were some of the most critically acclaimed Class D amps which also became the reference amps for a bunch of reviewers. One common view they all seemed to share was they were the closest to being "tube-like" of any solid state amps they had reviewed.
I don't have experience with tubes so I can't relate, but to my ears the resolution and detail is definitely not lacking. My favourite trait of Class D amps is their bass control and articulation.
I had a little $100 Trend T10.1 class D amp a while back powering a pair of Celestiin Ditton 44's and even with it's modest 8w it had a grip on the bass that was outstanding, it seemed like it fell apart in the upper end when pushed beyond its' capability before it failed on the bass..
It's not something anyone should be afraid to try. I think there's a bit of misinformation about Class D, and being the conspiracy theorist that I am, that it gets a bad rap by people in the industry protecting margins.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:11 pm 

BKSRT8 wrote:

It's all about personal taste but I think the current crop of class D amps have no trouble keeping up with the other designs. At the moment I own class A ( Sophia Electric, Icon), class A/B ( Anthem, Gryphon, Yamaha, Technics ), Hybrid class A pre/A/b amp ( AM 777 ) and a Peachtree 220SE which is a hybrid ( class A pre class D amp ). I find the Peachtree holds it's own with all the above other than the Icon/Gryphon combo. It's clean, clear and dynamic with all sorts of grunt. I have run it with Harbeth SHL5's and P3's. Also with Bryston Mini T's and Paradigm Studio 10's and Energy RC 70's. It sounds great with both Harbeth's and the Mini T's and very good with the others. All in all, not bad for a just slightly north of 2K Int amp with a very good on board DAC and 220 per into 8 ohms that weighs less than 20 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:47 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have a small correction to clarify a few comments that have been made. The Benchmark AHB2 is not a class D amplifier. Please see the link below for more information on the incredible Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier.

Michael,
PC audio,
http://www.pcaudio.ca

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/ben ... -amplifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
Premium User

BKSRT8 wrote:

I'd suggest listening to some of the good class D offerings so you can at least form a real opinion. Hypex and Devialet outperform many traditional offerings. The Bel Canto and Peachtree gear I've heard are not quite on the same level but they are still solid performers (I think they use B&O ICEPower modules?).

mwilson1964 wrote:
I have a small correction to clarify a few comments that have been made. The Benchmark AHB2 is not a class D amplifier. Please see the link below for more information on the incredible Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier.

Michael,
PC audio,
http://www.pcaudio.ca

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/ben ... -amplifier

I'm surprised it's not a class D amp...very good piece all the same! by sound alone I assumed it was modern class D. Great amp for anyone in that budget range.

The NuPrime stuff is decent too.